• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Way to Rejuvenate Faded Paint?

renovate7

I just got a 925A1 with a really nice camo paint job. Unfortunately it is pretty faded. I noticed when it gets wet all the colors are nice and dark again, looks good.
Has anyone tried spraying a flat clear coat on a truck? Would this work to make faded paint look darker?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or you could go 'old school'.... WD 40 or diesel on a rag (lint free). Great for keeping stray fingers off when at a public outing.

... don't plan on properly repainting 'till it is eventually rinsed off in the rain.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to spray a flat clear on it, why not just spray new paint?:cookoo:

renovate7

Thanks for the quick replies...I'm familiar with the oil trick. I've used that on the red tail light lenses on antique cars that have a lot of hairline cracks and hazing. Works till it evaporates or washes off....The reason for clear coat is two fold. It would be realtively quick and I wouldn't have to worry as much about overspray. I'm painting a Deuce right now the proper way. Take everything off you can including tires (one axle at a time). Prep, prime paint VERY time comsuming to do it correctly. Also, getting a good looking camo job is not that easy. I've seen many a pic here on SS of home brew camo that hurts my eyes. The paint on this truck is in excellent condition, just faded.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember also if you start smearing oil, ATF, tire shine Etc. on your truck; it will be more work when you do go to paint it correctly. (I personally wouldn't do any of the above).:cookoo:

andyindy

Several years ago there was a product aimed at farm equiptment for this very purpose. I think it was called Renu or Restore or something along these lines. From picture ads it looked like it worked very well. I have been looking for this product, but havent found it yet. Maybe some of our other fellow SS'ers involved with farming can help out. Andy....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

plym49

Old school method: take a coffee can and fill it halfway with kerosene and the rest water. Cover the can and shake it up good. Dip a rag in it, wring it out and wipe down your vee-hick-ill. It will shine really nicely for a couple of days and then have a nice sheen for a week. Water will bead. Dust will also collect, but hose it off and, when needed, do it over again (only takes a few minutes).

This is how the NYPD maintained the mayor's limos way back in the day. The black enamel paint jobs always sparkled.

Csm Davis

I keep thinking about just spraying down my whole fleet with motor oil, just a light coat from a spraygun think it will slow the rust down in all the little cracks and creases.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks