• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

anybody experience with the multifuel heater M 4130

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi!

I recently purchased the following heater for a small amount of money.

US Army Heater Multifuel M. 4130, for HMMWV und HMMWV Ambulance
Heater Vehicular Atlantic Industries Mod. 4130.
Produktion Date 1982.

Army No. M 46792/2-1. 2540-00-113-4180.
DAAE07-82-C-6388,
Power: 24 V.

D9478170-6913-41EE-86AA-7ACB91E8012A.jpeg3FF10461-A9A1-4510-9CC5-3CB1C400B233.jpegF663EEE9-D769-4D0C-9A64-8F7CF845281A.jpegA0B0A9B2-0BB9-4945-BFAD-9525699B7CE5.jpeg

Seems to me to be complete and in very good condition.

I would now like to put the device into operation experimentally to answer the following questions.

- Does it suck the fuel itself or does it need the tank above the unit?
You can see a pump right behind the port. The only question is whether it can prime even when the line is empty, i.e. with air in the line.

- How well does the chimney work.
Here also the question whether I must lead this by the roof. That would give me real trouble with the soft top.
Or whether I can bring it down and / or via detours with a flex pipe to the outside.

- How is the pin layout of the socket / connector

- Where can I get a suitable plug?

- Do I want to have this in my HMMWV between both rear seats as auxiliary heater?

Maybe one or the other of you has nen thought and / or experience with the heaters. Would be happy.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good question, the only pictures I have seen show the exhaust pipe for the diesel fired heater coming out of the rear driver side of the hood. I am sure someone will chime in soon, this would have probably been better under the regular HMMWV forum.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes.. the heater... what else?
Try to ask now if someone has experience with it. Better than hearing "oh no, you should never have done that" afterwards.
And I need the pin assignment and a connector.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I SERIOUSLY doubt the fire breathing dragon would be mounted in the passenger area and also there is probably a fair amount of missing components needed to make it work, it looks like the pin out is printed on the unit.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only one I can find that is not for the ambulance is this one, as you can see it is mounted outside of the engine compartment, notice the air lift loop in the picture.heater.JPG

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also I do not see any pump on the unit or in the provided schematic on your unit, only a cutoff valve.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EDIT, I was wrong it does have a controller, sorry
As far as the connector you should be able to get a number if you look very carefully into the plug, if not maybe you can see it on the back of the plug, they are usually marked on both sides.
Then you can google the number and figure it out, it is a cannon type plug but they are made by several different companies

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this link, maybe you can contact this guy, he lists it for just about every vehicle but the HMMWV so you may be looking for info in the wrong place.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is another link that has one of the posters saying he has the schematics and info, you would probably need to sign up for that forum.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Morgan

It looks complete to me. A thing like this only needs electricity and fuel.
I can't read the pin assignment from the label. But maybe I'm just too stupid. I'll ask a colleague who can read schematics better than I can.

The only one I can find that is not for the ambulance is this one, as you can see it is mounted outside of the engine compartment, notice the air lift loop in the picture.View attachment 855692
I dont think this is right.
The one in your schematic is a water heater. You can also see the water pipes. Moreover, if it were an air heater, no one could do anything with the warm air there under the hood.
However, I can imagine that the construction and external shape are similar.

Try this link, maybe you can contact this guy, he lists it for just about every vehicle but the HMMWV so you may be looking for info in the wrong place.
Ahh, that one seems to be in worse condition but with the accessories.
Also in the complexity that I expected. On, off, start and two fan speeds.
This should also be possible to build yourself.

Here is another link that has one of the posters saying he has the schematics and info, you would probably need to sign up for that forum.
Big Thanks.. will read this after this

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this link it has the control box wiring diagram and the TM

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW... cool!! Thanks!!! I think thats a lot of stuff and it will be enough to build something out of it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a pic that will give you a better idea of where the heater is mounted in a HMMWVheater1.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
on top? realy? Makes no sense... heat from th bottom... finds the way in itself upways ;-)
NO you can see it under the HOOD! with the exhaust pipe heading down in front of the doorheater1.jpg
Besides that there are millions of homes in the world with the furnace in the attic, forced air does not care.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AS I said before you will not find one of these INSIDE the passenger compartment, that is just a REALLY BAD idea!

Last edited:

AAVP7

Sorry to chime in so late; I don´t visit the hot rod section every day.

Actually, this heater, or rather its 10530 successor, could be mounted in the FRONT passenger (commanders) footwell as an option in early HMMWVs. There are several pages in the TMs devoted to this. The heater was mounted transversally against the vertical part of the footwell, with the exhaust sticking out to the front.

Air entered the heater from the right, and warm air exited to the left, into a special duct that led to the battery box and to the standard heater. This duct is sometimes offered on Epay, but most other special parts one would need for mounting the heater in an OEM way are unobtainable nowadays.

I´ve ever only seen ONE vehicle actually being equipped with this heater. Seems to have run out of fashion real quick, then the "swingfire" heater was adopted.

As for the heater: I have a 10530 heater in my ambulance, which is quite similiar, so if you have questions about getting it to run, feel free to ask.

Edit: One answer to your questions:
My 10530 heater doesn´t have a pump. What looks like a pump is an electrical metering valve. You´ll have to provide an external (electrical) fuel pump.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks