• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ANYBODY HAVE THE SAME EXP. WITH INSPECTIONS?

No.2Diesel

Hi,

I have owned my deuce for 10 months now and use twice a week at minimum. Shortly after purchasing, registering, and insuring it, I intended to get it inspected. Well...

I thought it would be a snap. The guy calls me back and says that because it's wider than 72" it needs all sorts of silly marker and running lights. He actually called DOT because nothing like this has been in his shop before. A real F'ng stiff. I was lucky he didn't rip the temporary sticker off.

I asked him, "If I come in here with an AB Mack, your requiring me to conform to current standards?" He said "yup." I said "have a nice day" and have never had it inspected from that day forward. He couldn't even supply me with specific requirements or drawings showing correct placement or number of lights. The last thing I will add are silly lights.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had stories of ridiculousness.

Just try to get collector insurance from Hagerty. Thats a whole different story.

No.2Diesel

I had asked for valve lash specs for the LDT-465-1D and was told .010" for intake and .025" for exhaust.....

What is the spec for the injector rocker??

Knucklehead

In Massachusetts if it registered as an antique it only has to have the original equipment. But if is registered commerical it has to meet all DOT regulations.

mangus580

NYS law says you need the markers..... I can find the section of the code that specs it out if you want. Basically its the standard marker lights, one on each corner, 3 across the back.

My suggestion?

Find someone else to do the inspection!!

;-)

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
in Texas no inspection is required for a former military vehicle. It is presumed that the owner does or causes to have done a competent safety inspection. It is only required to have the eqipment the vehicle came with. No insurance required either, but it would be as foolish not to have insurance as it would be to not do your own inspections.

CGarbee

In North Carolina, you do not have to have a safety inspection if your vehicle is an antique (by age, not by type of registration), so nothing over 25 years needs to be inspected. However, vehicles over 10k lbs fall under the FMVCSA rules, so you should have a duece inspected, or not, depending on how the M35 is registered (only way to avoid them might be to have it fall under section ten of the TP tag rule, taged as Weighted or Commercial would require an inspection). Keep in mind that the DOT Periodic Inspection may be performed by anyone who can demonstrate that they have the skills to do a proper inspection, including the owner as long as you have the form documenting your training/experience on file at the home office. So, I downloaded the form that I filled out documenting my credentials and stuck it in a file cabinet in my office. I then downloaded the inspection form and did my own inspection checking off everything on the form as I went along (noting what was deficient, repairing it, and documenting the repair on the form), then put a copy of the form in the truck and in the file in the office... Very easy... A buddy of mine purchased the door stickers, but you don't have to have them, just a copy of the inspection report for viewing if anyone asks...

Check your state/federal regs carefully. Go to another inspection center that understands the rules as they apply to your rig...

Good luck.

David_4x4

Re: RE: ANYBODY HAVE THE SAME EXP. WITH INSPECTIONS?

TXSG_19_commo said:
in Texas no inspection is required for a former military vehicle. It is presumed that the owner does or causes to have done a competent safety inspection. It is only required to have the eqipment the vehicle came with. No insurance required either, but it would be as foolish not to have insurance as it would be to not do your own inspections.
Well that kicks ass. Makes things a little more simple.

bottleworks

CGarbee said:
In North Carolina,....

However, vehicles over 10k lbs fall under the FMVCSA rules, so you should have a duece inspected, or not, depending on how the M35 is registered
Do you mean State safety inspection or a federal DOT type inspection. I can do my own safety. However, I don't want to have a sticker on the truck if a don't have to.

FSBruva

No.2Diesel said:
I had asked for valve lash specs for the LDT-465-1D and was told .010" for intake and .025" for exhaust.....

What is the spec for the injector rocker??
You used up your only freebie!!! :D From now on you have to look it up yourself!!! None of us, (besides R 4x4) were born knowing all this stuff - all had to look it up in the TM, and are the better for it. While this forum is a great resource when the TM's don't answer your question, simple spec's can EASILY be looked up on your own.

Matt

chief76433

TXSG_19_commo said:
Where does it say you don't have to have an inspection sticker or insurance in Texas?Any vehicle on the road is supposed to have liability insurance.You can't buy license plates without liability or get a vehicle inspected.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: ANYBODY HAVE THE SAME EXP. WITH INSPECTIONS?

boy this theard sure moved from vechile inspection to valve adjustment, wow what a 90 dig. turn

devilman96

AH... good ole Florida... Cheap MV insurance... $7.50 a year or $7.50 for life MV registrations... No inspections... Don't have to display a tag... Hurricanes... and they tell GL to go F*&! themselves for not issuing titles... Could ya ask for a more OD friendly state?

Boatcarpenter

If you have an antique tag in NH, vehicle must be inspected in April not in your month of birth, as are regularly registered vehicles. Only the equipment that came on the truck has to work, lights, horn, brakes, wipers, good tires, etc. No add-ons required. Where I took mine, after the guy asked me what the hell I bought that truck for, he asked me if everything worked and I said yes and he wrote out a sticker, stuck it on and away I went!

CGarbee

bottleworks said:
CGarbee said:
In North Carolina,....

However, vehicles over 10k lbs fall under the FMVCSA rules, so you should have a duece inspected, or not, depending on how the M35 is registered
Do you mean State safety inspection or a federal DOT type inspection. I can do my own safety. However, I don't want to have a sticker on the truck if a don't have to.

Since the truck is over 10,000 lbs, you fall under the federal inspection (FHWA Periodic) so you get to do it yourself. Most folks think that you have to have the sticker on the truck, but in actuality, the federal regulations state that all you have to have is the paperwork (the inspection form) in the truck. If you post the sticker, then the regulations state that you have to have the paperwork on file at the home office or in the truck...

The State says that vehicles subject to thier safety inspection are exempt if over 25 years of age. This applies to vehicles not subject to the Federal regulations...

So: My M37 runs around with no inspection sticker since it is light and old, my M35's run around with a sheet of paper in the glovebox saying that I inspected it at least once in the past year...

Email me directly and I'll send you a copy of the forms if you need them.

The wishy washy bit of my first post is due to some folks thinking that if a M35 is registered as and antique using setion 10 of the Transporter Tag regulations (Chapter 20 of the NC General Statutes), then you are also exempt from the Federal inspection since you are not commercial. I would rather take the time to inspect and fill out the form than argue that with either my insurance company, a judge, or the man upstairs, but I have some friends who think differently...

No.2Diesel

Thanks for all of your advice...I just never looked under the valve cover yet and assumed it was similar to older diesels from the 50's

texas-5-ton

TXSG_19_commo said:
That must be a new law. I worked for DPS for 7 years and had never heard that. But I didn't go around stopping every army truck going down the road either. I'd sure like to see that out of the traffic law book before I went commando on my inspection and insurance.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Texas there is a catagory for a former military vehicle. You can use the hood/unit #'s for your plate. Inspection is not required. But insurance is! It also has to be unladen at all times. And you can only use it for shows/ parades or rallys. Not a daily driver. When you go to the county tax office you have to fill out a special from and give them pics.
Mine isn't commerical, I just have regular Texas truck plates. $230 a year. Saftey Inspection is $12.50.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok well they told me at the license plate office that insurane was not required. Maybe they made a mistake. About the use, here's the text from the TXDOT site:
Former Military plates are issued to vehicles, including trailers, which were manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and are maintained to accurately represent their military design and markings regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight or year of manufacture. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest and may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising.

hmm.. exhibitions, club activities, functions of public interest.. I guess when I go on my 2-week road trip, I will be making an exhibition of endurance and driving, as a function of my membership in Steel Soldiers and MVPA, and it will be of public interest wherever I stop in the small towns. I guess it is a stretch. To be honest about it, I drive it about once a month to keep it alive, but there does not seem to be much 'club activities' in Dallas although there are some WWII-related activities but the M35 does not fit. It does get used for Texas Guard for a radio truck and recruting tool/prop. I don't mind paying the price for truck plates, I do mind uglying up the truck with them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks