• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

anybody towed a m105a2 with a 1990 jeep cherokee loredo?

ryan77

Thats way to much for a jeep cherokee!! I wouldn't tow it with less then a 1 ton pick up! Plus what about the air brakes? That trailer is meant to go behind a deuce or 5 ton. Do a search on here its been discussed before!! And welcome to the site!

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I think a Jeep is too small. I think a 1/2 ton truck is about the smallest thing I'd want to pull a M105.

It could go wrong real fast if you have to emergency brake.

Danger Ranger

I have a 2001 Cherokee. There is no way I would try to tow an M105 anywhere outside a yard or driveway. And mine has good springs and everything. I weighed in at 4200lb I think loaded, on the scale awhile back. An M105 weighs too much for it. Find another vehicle.

RRDirtyHarry

or find another trailer. i pulled it around for a little and it didn't even really notice it. the max tow limit for my jeep is 5000lbs, 750 tongue weight. not sure what the tongue weight is, but i know my truck didn't sag at all when i hooked it up. didn't even notice it. heres a pic. haven't purchased it yet

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
or find another trailer. i pulled it around for a little and it didn't even really notice it. the max tow limit for my jeep is 5000lbs, 750 tongue weight. not sure what the tongue weight is, but i know my truck didn't sag at all when i hooked it up. didn't even notice it. heres a pic. haven't purchased it yet
The problem is trailer brakes. I'm sure the 5,000lb max tow is talking about a trailer with brakes.

o1951

Dangerous tow at highway speeds. Quick stop without properly balanced trailer brakes, and your jeep will be going sideways on interstate.:doh: Likely to cause an accident and hurt people.
Then, when they investigate, you get blamed and written up for improper towing.

Take the 5000 pound rating with a bit of salt. Fine print should have usual disclaimers - when properly equipped - that means brakes on trailer, etc.

What you want to tow: M105A2 Gross trailer weight 2,650 pounds. "The M105A2 is a 2-wheel, single axle trailer with a leaf-spring suspension designed to be towed by 2-1/2 ton and larger vehicles equipped with towing pintles"
23 year old Cherokee comes up short.

RRDirtyHarry

ok, well anyone know of a smaller trailer i could get near me for the same price? or a way to get the breaks working with my truck? i agree i shouldn't pull it. so im looking for something smaller now.

o1951

Remember - 24 volt electrical system on Military trailers. For lights/turn signals to work properly have to convert to 12 volt that Jeep has. Military trailers use pintle/ lunette tow system, Jeep came with ball and receiver system.

For me, the time and cost to convert a small military trailer to properly work with a Civy vehicle is not worth it. Then there are the insurance issues - will my insurance company insure towing a converted military trailer with a personal civy vehicle?

(If I was a contractor with a dump truck that has factory pintle, different story)
For personal towing, I would avoid the headaches, and buy properly designed used civy trailer.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailer is 2750 lb. My 18year old son brought one home for me from Huntsville to New Orleans with a 95 Jeep cherokee with no problem. You will be nose down on the trailer as the height is different. Take it easy and don't speed and allow yourself plenty of travel distance as that is how I taught him. Many trailers are at this weight (3000lb) and towed every day with out brakes. Sure the trailer looks massive but they are real easy to tow and handle well empty. Check the air in the tires and be safe.

We have a class 3 receiver hitch with all class 3 or better hardware. We also use a quick link on the hitch frame to give each chain the reach. Class 3 is rated to 5000lb

I have also towed with durangos with no problem.

Best of luck on your recovery.

Attachments

ARYankee

When do you plan on towing it back to Oklahoma? There are some good mountain passes between WA & OK plus the winds in the flat areas.

RRDirtyHarry

PICT0002.jpgwell i have a 6 inch lift on my jeep, so it actually sits parallel with the trailer.
Trailer is 2750 lb. My 18year old son brought one home for me from Huntsville to New Orleans with a 95 Jeep cherokee with no problem. You will be nose down on the trailer as the height is different. Take it easy and don't speed and allow yourself plenty of travel distance as that is how I taught him. Many trailers are at this weight (3000lb) and towed every day with out brakes. Sure the trailer looks massive but they are real easy to tow and handle well empty. Check the air in the tires and be safe.

We have a class 3 receiver hitch with all class 3 or better hardware. We also use a quick link on the hitch frame to give each chain the reach. Class 3 is rated to 5000lb

MarcusOReallyus

ok, well anyone know of a smaller trailer i could get near me for the same price? or a way to get the breaks working with my truck? i agree i shouldn't pull it. so im looking for something smaller now.

I haul firewood with my Cherokee towing an M101. Works fine. Surge brakes, so no worry about the electric or air brakes, and converting the lights to 12v is very simple. Pop in new bulbs and put a new end on the cable.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?101785-Putting-the-101-to-work-hauling-firewood

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Just because you can doesn't mean you should or that it is legal.

[h=3]Towing World: Towing Laws Listed by State[/h]www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter