• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ever submit a claim to GL?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make up a nice little video where you narrate and show pictures of what you bid on, any images or vids of people stripping the truck, names, dates, phone humbers, the refusal letters etc., from GL, and then the condition of the truck after you got it. Post this on youtube "How GL cheated me and stole from me" with tags like government waste, fraud, theft, and any other things that seem appropriate. if enough people see it, it will have an effect.

randyscycle

OPCOM said:
Make up a nice little video where you narrate and show pictures of what you bid on, any images or vids of people stripping the truck, names, dates, phone humbers, the refusal letters etc., from GL, and then the condition of the truck after you got it. Post this on youtube "How GL cheated me and stole from me" with tags like government waste, fraud, theft, and any other things that seem appropriate. if enough people see it, it will have an effect.
Maybe a copy of said video to the local news station and GL as well?

colomil

I am sure this has been brought up before but if there was a way to petition the defense contracting oversight entity that handles GL's contract maybe things would start to improve. We have 4000 or so members on here, perhaps a letter with 4000 signatures to the right elected government official would get some action.

I don't think there is one member who is 100% happy with GL. This issue of stolen parts is over the top and simply criminal.

In the short term, I would recommend getting to know the site manager & forklift guys at your favorite GL location. If you win an item, let the forklift guy know about it so he can somewhat keep an eye on it for you. Buy the guy a case of beer or something. I am sure GL pays them the absolute minimum. I am not sure if there are any rules against "tipping" but I bet it would go a long way to making sure nobody robs parts from your truck.

If there was a way we as SS members could collectively engage an attorney for a class-action against GL, I think things would change. I for one would pay a membership fee to SS to further this cause.

bob130ab

With 4000 SS members GL & DOD should realize how much money has been spent with them. Not only the price paid for won MV & other equipment but concider the amount on money we have produced for them by bidding against scrap dealers & large companies in the parts business.

Two weeks ago I placed an early bid on 5 Dump trucks (stripped parts trucks) at Albany, GA.
It is an unmanned site but I tried to make contact so I could inspect them. With out being able to inspect I was bidding conservativly. I watch each of them encluding the high bidders number. Five minutes from closing 3 bidders were high encluding me for one. At 4:58 pm Eastern, A new bidder took all five trucks. No one raised their bids. I could only follow these five but that sale had about 20 M-800 series trucks. I'll bet this same company got most of them.
The point that I am making is that without us these trucks could have been bought for nearly nothing.

It would be difficult to manage, but it would be interesting if we could have a post that ever member could post the number of MV they have purchased from GL.

Bob Martin
Brooklet, GAl

audior1

You know I wondered about the weirdness of their bid process as compared to Ebay. I bid on Lot 3546 and 3547 which closed Aug. 8th (which now they're denying my payment) and when I bid the prices that closed, all for electronic control 20' Shelter containers, was totally different from what the ending bids were or what I bid them in at. Some were lower and some were higher. Some of the item bids remained open way past the 15 min. bid time and some closed right on the dot. For the exact same Shelter unit I won the bid per unit from $271.03 to 1030.00. Never seen such an erratic process. They need to take a lesson from Ebay. Better yet Ebay should try to get the GL contract. Anybody have the contact info of who is the Goverment oversight agency for GL's contract? If all our members filed complaints enmasse and followed up with a Class action against GL, they'd lose their monoply. Afterall it's our stuff we're bidding on! A straight forward bid process, easy paperwork process, smooth payment process, good security on the inventory and Saturday pickups for shipping would benafit all parties. Maybe the site moderator needs to highlight the problems with GL and assist getting a process started to correct the egregious mismanagement by GL. Calls to your Congressman would help too.

ucfjeeper

When I first became a member her I WAS really excited to start searching for a deuce of my own. . . but I seem to always see a post like this discussing how bad GL is with some stuff and then others chime in about how bad GL has treated them that I'm almost to the point of saying screw it, I wouldn't know half the steps to take, who to talk to, or how to fight something if I was douped like you all know how to do. . . So DISAPPOINTING

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went on a tirade a couple of weeks ago about GL business practices and was afraid to bring up the class action suit issue. I was sure the monitors would delete my post. Now I see there are more members that feel the same way as I therefore it may be worth looking into. The government receives only a small portion of the money from the sales. GL makes alot of money and the "buyers premium" is just an unjust extravegant gratuity for them. I am willing to throw in $100 for any legal action. If we do not take them to task they will continue to have us by the short hairs. I dislike filling any type of court action due to the clogged legal system now, but ours would not be a frivolous endeavor.

bob130ab

We need to consider the end results of any type of action. Remember about 6 months ago their was talk of DRMO scraping all surples property. That seems to have gone away. If DOD scraped all of the MVs, GL would be out of business and the US government would lose a lot of money. But remember when it comes to military spending and budget logic does not always prevail.

Bob Martin
Brooklet GA

K9Unit

I pretty much agree with everyone about this, I will be picking up my first deuce next week, for one I'm going to make sure my racks and cover that was sold with this is still there. I doubt it, even though its the main reason I ran the bidding up on that paticular one. Yes I have read GL's clause they are not responsible for missing items, damage, ect. sounds more like a little cop out. When I go preview the item I'm interested in thats one thing but after I bid and I win the bid. After all, they claim before you even bid your entering a legal binding action, right ? If you dont pay you will still be assesed thier special fee, so it sounds to me if its legal when you bid and win the bid and your going to charge me a fee if by some reason I decide I dont want the item anymore. From that point on I own it !! Its not my fault it could take 1-6 months before everything clears before money has decided to change hands. If your preventing me of picking up my item because of paper work then I want to make sure its in good hands and regardless of the clause if I legally own it and I am prevented from picking it up, its still mine, you are responsible for what happens to it during that time. I dont see any difference when I impound a vehicle in my state because the owner doesn't have a valid drivers license. When its impounded guess what ? The company its stored at is still responsible for what happens to the vehicle. When I have a vehicle towed from a crash scene and its stored at the towing companies site until the insurance company clears everything they are still held responsible as well. Guess what, in both cases you still own the item, due to the circumstances you are prevented from obtaining your vehicle but the place where its stored is still responsible for the vehicle AND anything thats inside it ! So I really dont want anyone telling me, well its really not your vehicle yet, well isn't it ? I won it legally I'm just being prevented from picking it up and thats not MY fault. I understand some people feel if a class action lawsuit turns things sour then the items will just be sold as scrap. If this happens which I doubt it will, I for one will quit my job, Obtain my scrap metal license and buy every one I possibly can and give a little more than scrap price just because in my state I can obtain a salvage vehicle title, everythings legal and I can still use it just like the title didn't have it written at all. I'm sure there are a bunch of other states that also allow this. i'm sure this isn't for everyone but I for one would love to buy any military vehicles for scrap price, fix whatever they need and sell them at cost to everyone I know in the states. I dont mean any of this in a bad way and I'm not bashing GL or anyone else but whats right is right and if your gonna call me bluff them be prepared for the smoke when it blows your way. That brings up my last point, over 4000 SS members ? dont we have enough people in every state and near most bases throughout the US to be a eligible contract bidder through the department of defense? With all the knowledge everyone has to offfer here I doubt I would ever see a auction where a deuce is labeled as a 5 ton, ect. would be pretty cool... I would handle all of DE's bases... :D

audior1

Followup to my previous post about GL claims. We faxed Charles Coolidge, one of their exec's, our account of the mishandling of our accounts and bids and after his review he restored our account and recinded the default assessment but still denied our winning bids on event 3546, for 4 20' Shelter units. He did not admit that GL had made mistakes, and by punishing us by taking our winning bids from us, when we had done nothing wrong, is clear evidence of the failure in the fairness and good mamagement of the GL Auction process. We have replied back that if GL will arbitrarily cancel our bids and so clearly mismanage our accounts that we do not want to do business with GL. We requested canncellation of both Events we won 3546 and 3547 and a closing of our account. There is a major problem within GL in it's policies and procedures notwithstanding the related stories here on Steel Soldiers about the theft and misrepresenation of the surplus we're buying. We're putting together our paperwork as a package and sending it with a formal complaint wherever we think it will make an impact on GL. Anyone with addresses for the managing agencies for GL's contract let us all know here. Ren

M37Dodge

My experience, non-truck

I purchased a surplus USN air compressor from GL Mechanicsburg. The GL forklift operator dropped it in the warehouse, which damaged the air pump crankshaft (bent). They immediately notified me of the damage - I did not witness it ocurring, and allowed me to inspect the unit. They refused to adjust the price. Instead, they merely offered take it ot leave it w/o penalty. It was still a good deal - so I took it and ended up scrapping the pump.

audior1

desertfox said:
I went on a tirade a couple of weeks ago about GL business practices and was afraid to bring up the class action suit issue. I was sure the monitors would delete my post. Now I see there are more members that feel the same way as I therefore it may be worth looking into. The government receives only a small portion of the money from the sales. GL makes alot of money and the "buyers premium" is just an unjust extravegant gratuity for them. I am willing to throw in $100 for any legal action. If we do not take them to task they will continue to have us by the short hairs. I dislike filling any type of court action due to the clogged legal system now, but ours would not be a frivolous endeavor.
Any lawyers on Steel Soldiers that want a case? I'll add my bucks to the legal fund to sue GL. Their behavoiur with our assets (yes we as citizens own the stuff their selling) and in essence GL works for all of us. Any has a GL complaint this is the time to speak up.

beetle

About a year & a half ago I submitted a claim to GL for a deuce that I had bought at Mechanicsburg. They advertised the truck as having 6 thousand miles on it & when I showed up they tried to give me a truck with over 60 thousand miles on it & it looked it. I didn't take it and I filed a claim. I asked for the truck I had bid on or a refund. I got the refund. Of course this was before they got the new contract. I've had good luck in the past dealing with Valerie Bruce at DPDS. Maybe that would help. Good Luck. Hope it works out for the best. Beetle.

my last deuce i got at anville was missing a fuel pump.i went down and looked it over and started the truck up also when i went to pick it up it was missing the fuel pump.i was forced to purchase a pump off another truck down there i was taking it home that day.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
my last deuce i got at anville was missing a fuel pump.i went down and looked it over and started the truck up also when i went to pick it up it was missing the fuel pump.i was forced to purchase a pump off another truck down there i was taking it home that day.
How exactly did that happen? You went to your truck, saw a missing fuel pump, and then????????????????????

beetle

Valerie works in the battle creek office of DPDS. When govt liquidation was refusing to give out sf97 or bills of sale, she got them to send me a bill of sale. That was what Penn Dot wanted at that time so you could get a title. She seems to go out of her way to try to help out. Best of luck. Beetle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks