• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have info on Ridgid 600PN Military Bench Vise from a M936 Wrecker?

goldneagle

I got a good deal on a Ridgid 600PN bench vise that was installed on a M936 wrecker. I need to repair the collar that is attached to the shaft. I is loose and I cannot move the jaw out with it being loose.

Just wonder if anyone has come across one or has one. It is HUGE! Pictures to follow shortly.

Artisan

RIDGID probably has repair parts.
There pretty good w/ that stuff.
I am drooling here waiting for pics!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No pic of the front that needs help!? Come on!

Your pin-head hat just makes the vise look big. A regular size hat would be better.(hehe)

Csm Davis

Chris in Zev's defense I will say that's the biggest vise I have ever seen. I honestly think it is to big to mount on the front of a truck I think it might outweigh my 18000 lbs warn winch.
As a better way of judging the size the plate it is sitting on is a standard deck plate off of a M931 which is 34" I think.

Last edited:

goldneagle

I may take it to a machinist to see if he can re-drill the collar and shaft that held the collar in place. Looks like there was a bolt or pin that sheared. That collar when affixed to the shaft, would move the outer jaw in and out. The vise is also missing the opposing jaw for the pipe vise that is located under the main jaws. The pipe vise jaws are removable. (held in place by set screws)

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I often wonder how so many good Vises are beat up. That spot is weak, on many vises. Usually there is a bracket that is held in place with a couple of screws, that sometimes get sheared off, but I'm more familiar with Parker & Wilton. Will the lead screw come out? At least the jaw inserts look good and haven't been hammered on - one of the leading abuses. A good wire brushing, will go a long way on it. I bought my first 4" Parker, as a Kid, from a junk yard for $12, because the Junkie thought it was frozen up.

bchauvette

Can you pull the vise open by hand? if not it is stuck closed and was forced trying to open messing up the collar. That collar is supposed to open the vise with not too much force. If it is stuck you can apply a liberal amount of oil on the slides let soak then smack the casting area between the handle and jaw. I use a 3lb bronze hammer. It has the dead blow characteristic your looking for. Ran across this on this exact vise.

goldneagle

Actually I hit it with a large hammer on the end of the square tube (after applying liberal amount of penetrating oil) and got the jaw to move slightly. I used a craw bat to pry it further. Looks like it will will move further if I put a block in there and pry again. If i can remove it or expose a lot of the square ram I will use a DA sander to clean the metal and apply lube after. I will add pictures as I progress.

bchauvette

A wire wheel on a 4-1/2" angle grinder might be a better choice to remove the rust. You can get into nook and crannies, not to be confused with grannies, and catch the lead screw. Greasing the parts before re-assemble would be my choice. Keep in mind that vise rides right in front of the vehicle taking the brunt of all the nastiest.

goldneagle

OK. I took the corkscrew shaft off and inspected the collar & set screw. The set screw came out with a screwdriver. The part sheared on the shaft (spindle) was easily drilled out on the drill press.

I used a flap wheel sanding disc on an angle grinder to sand the squarer ram clean behind the vise. I used a block of wood and heavy hammer to push the square ran out the front of the vise. Then I sanded the rest of the square ram on the front of the vise. The surface can out almost polished! I sprayed lithium grease liberally on the square ram. I was able to push the ram in and out easily by hand.

I went to NAPA and got a replacement 3/8" set screw. Once i installed it the vice jaw traveled in and out easily.

I then had to use a pipe wrench to remove the two swivel base Lock Nuts. i removed the Lock bolts and used a thread file and wire brush to clean the threads. I then had to work the lock nuts on and off until they threaded easily on the lock bolts. I reinstalled the lock bolts and lock nuts to the vise base and lubricated generously.

The vise function like new now.

I ordered the missing pipe jaw and set screws from Viceparts.com They even take Paypal payments. Cost me $50 including shipping for the pipe jaw and set screw set.

This vise is actually made by Columbian . Model # 206M3 It sell for $1799 on the net. Jaw is 6" wide and opens 10" between jaws.

Attachments

goldneagle

Now that I have it functioning properly I plan to soda blast it clean and then prime and paint it with Rustoleum Hammered finish paint. Probably gray or light blue in color. Since it is more than I can use I will put it up for sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks