• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone installed dual tanks on their deuce?

Lonesome715

I am kicking around the idea of installing a second fuel tank where my spare tire is. If I do I am just going to mirror the passenger side tank with all the same parts. I am just wandering if there are any hiccups I should be aware of or if this would be more complicated than I am thinking it will be. Switches, valves and what ever else I will require is a bit troublesome but I think it will be some what simple to work out once I get into it. The biggest problem I have is where to install my spare tire. But that will be the subject matter of another thread.

Lonesome715

Would you happen to have photographs of that set up? I am running some larger than stock tires on 22.5's and, I am not the man I was a decade ago. I would really rather not lift those things in or drag out of the bed. I have a few ideas, but I plan to go over that at another time.

Lonesome715

My first though was to route the lines to the passenger side and install a T then just use the filter on the frame ral for both. Now I am thinking maybe getting another one for the driver's side would be better and fedding it that way. Either way what am I looking at to get it done. Also, which way would yeild the least maintainence issues? I know haveing a second filter will add cost, but would be be better to have a seprate one for each tank?

eagle4g63

I was also going to say the cable but I was too late, easy fix though. A real pain in the A to get at the nuts for the tank brackets....the air tanks get in the way.

Anyway I haven't ran the lines on mine yet.....just one more thing I need to do:whistle:

Lonesome715

It does not sound all that bad. I guess I will start gathering the parts I need. Between this and the wincg I have, I am never going to get this truck done.

phil2968

Don't forget about your return lines. The fuel has to go back to the tank it came from. How about moving the spare tire under the rear of the bed.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
there is a manual double 3 way valve available from a company in NC i think. reasonable price.
i will try to find my notes on that, my m-35a8 had 2 tanks. you need to switch both the supply and the return.
tom

Lonesome715

Sticking it under the rear of the bed was my first though. However, it does not look as though it will work with the trailer hitch I am installing there.

Thanks for the links!

I appreciate the heads up on the valve. I wll poke around and see what I can find.

I am starting to see this is not a new idead. I was hoping to be one of the first, oh well.

joshs1ofakindxj

Thankfully, uncle Sam saw it fit to equip the M35A2 with 4 spare tires in the back, so I'm not concerned right now, but I'm adding a bed crane soon so I can mount a spare or 2 in the bed and I'm putting my spare tire mount from the M35A2 on my M105A2 trailer so I'll have a spare on it when I take it along on an adventure.

If you're running super singles, with a secondary tank set-up like mine, you'll have to add a bed crane or something and put it in the bed. I'm 23 years old I can still lift a 9.00 NDT in the bed by myself, but I can see that getting old as I get older.

I was thiking about doing a swing away tire carrier on the back of the bed, but you still have the issue of hoisting it up. I saw one person made a swing down tire carrier on the back of a 109 box, but that used the high point of the box as a hoist point.

Lonesome715

I did not even realize this truck did not come with a pioneer rack. Hmmmm, maybe I should look for one of those next.

Right now the truck is singled out but I am most likely going to dual it out again. If so, I agree, a spare would not be a big concern. That being said however, I hope to take it frodin later on in life so I should have a spare by then.