• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone Know much about the prc-138 and the rf-5022

vimby210

Just picked up a bunch of radio equipment in a trade, Cant really find much of anyone talking about the two radios. Anyone know much about the Prc-138, and the RF-5022. How rare are they? Are they sought after?Miltary Radios 2.jpg

Attachments

papakb

That's an RF5833 150 watt amp for the 138, not a 5022. Unfortunately without a firmware change it won't work with it. We researched all this about 3 years ago. The 5833 amp is basically the same as the RF-5033 that will work with the 138 but Harris changed the firmware and now it will only work with the PRC-150. We do have a replacement flash ram chip that will make it operational.

Sorry, totally zoned out about the 5022 thinking you'd misidentified the RF amp. I forgot that Harris's RF-5022 was a whole series of HF/VHF radios and amps and that the 138 was just one component of it. Excellent equipment but big stuff. You need a vehicle with lots of space if you plan on going mobile with it.

Did you manage to get the AT-1011 mobile antenna too or was it running with a long wire set up?

Great find!

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

vimby210

That's an RF5833 150 watt amp for the 138, not a 5022. Unfortunately without a firmware change it won't work with it. We researched all this about 3 years ago. The 5833 amp is basically the same as the RF-5033 that will work with the 138 but Harris changed the firmware and now it will only work with the PRC-150. We do have a replacement flash ram chip that will make it operational.

Sorry, totally zoned out about the 5022 thinking you'd misidentified the RF amp. I forgot that Harris's RF-5022 was a whole series of HF/VHF radios and amps and that the 138 was just one component of it. Excellent equipment but big stuff. You need a vehicle with lots of space if you plan on going mobile with it.

Did you manage to get the AT-1011 mobile antenna too or was it running with a long wire set up?

Great find!

Kurt
KG6KMJ
Kurt,

Thanks for the reply, There is a 5022 in the photo. As far as i know, the guy i got this from says everything works with each other. He also is a Ham. He has so much military radio equipment it isnt even funny. I almost got one of the 400 watt amps, he has several. Ive been offered one, i may buy one outright. Id be interested in chatting with you for sure, just let me know a good time.

I did not get the Mobile At-1011, I wish! Id love to put it in my M-923, but I highly doubt i would. The 5022 base id like to set up at the house, I run a harris RF-1944 inverted v on my home set up, this military base radio makes a great eye piece. The PRC-138 is a rare find from what i see.

Joe
Ki7LDL

papakb

Kurt,

Thanks for the reply, There is a 5022 in the photo. As far as i know, the guy i got this from says everything works with each other. He also is a Ham. He has so much military radio equipment it isnt even funny. I almost got one of the 400 watt amps, he has several. Ive been offered one, i may buy one outright. Id be interested in chatting with you for sure, just let me know a good time.

I did not get the Mobile At-1011, I wish! Id love to put it in my M-923, but I highly doubt i would. The 5022 base id like to set up at the house, I run a harris RF-1944 inverted v on my home set up, this military base radio makes a great eye piece. The PRC-138 is a rare find from what i see.

Joe
Ki7LDL

Hi Joe,

I'll check QRZ and see if they have a phone number for you and I'll give you a call. I'm currently running my 138 in my HMMWV 996 ambulance and love it. I have several AT1011s but shipping would be a killer!

Kurt
KG6KMJ
papakb@yahoo.com