• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone paint their aluminum radiator?

Warren Lovell

Just received a new aluminum KKS radiator. Very happy with the look and construction. Stamped aluminum tanks vs plastic. I will post photos. Now, anyone paint their radiators black? I heard Eastwood has a radiator paint. Just wondering what you folks are using or installing them bare. Thanks for th input!

PS - radiator was purchased off Amazon, free ship for $297.00! Sold by Reliable Radiator. I spoke with the company before ordering and also did a google on KKS reviews and was satisfied with the results enough to make the purchase.

Bighorn

That is a smoking deal.
I paid $450 for my brass and copper radiator.
Did the aluminum rad come with the oil cooler provision or are you running a seperate cooler?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cant see where painting it would cause you any problems, obviously we are talking a normal to lighter level of paint coating it, I dont see where it would appreciably effect the performance of the radiator.
KK

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good question and debated in hot rod/ street rod/ and racing circles like presidential politics......

FWIW, In my previous lifetime selling parts, most brands including Modine would paint old school brass/copper radiators black only. When aluminum took over the OE and aftermarket, They are all bare including oe so there has to be a reason. If it did improve cooling, then you would think you would see them painted from factory and aftermarket.

Same observation on A/C condensers.

Or they all could be trying to save .10

I personally would leave it bare.

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you call the supplier again and ask their opinion? I like to go direct to the source for things like this. Personally, I do not paint them. Bare metal, especially aluminum, is an excellent heat conductor. You will not find any oil cooling radiators on industrial equipment, hydraulic power units and such, that have been painted.

Warren Lovell

Just called Reliable Radiator and they said painting the tanks would be fine, but didn't recommend painting the core.
Here is more info on the radiator I purchased:
100% All Aluminum Performance Radiators.
Molded Tanks.
100% Tig Welded.
Brazed Core Technology.
Radiator Cap & Petcock Drain Plug Included.
Galvanized For Corrosion Protection.
Superior Quality - Affordable Price
Item Spec: Surface Finish Galvanized For Corrosion Protection. Core Dimensions 18.82 x 33.97 x 2.20 . Hose Fittings IN: 1-3/4 -OUT: 1-3/4 . Trans Cooler Yes. Overall Dimensions 21.41 x 40.59 . 3 Row Core Thickness 2.20 . Manufacturer Warranty 1 Year. Will Cool Up To 750hp

Drock

If I may ask are you wanting to paint it for aesthetics or for protection? With these trucks the rad is set so far back from the grill and with the brush guard in front of that you really can't see anyway. The aesthetics are an issue with 65-66 mustangs when you install aluminum rad's because you can see it through the grill. The trick is to dust over the core with the Eastwood paint. But as far as protection I see it doing more harm then good. I'm from Florida and I don't recall ever seeing a rad corrode at least from the outside.

cucvrus

If you want a stock radiator and tanks that needs re-cored I could saw off the tanks off a bad one. Box them up and mail them to you. You could get them re-cored and have an OEM Harrison for your restoration project. Just an idea. Shipping and a modest exchange will do. Let me know.

Warren Lovell

I still have my old Harrison. I am having that recored..but they want nearly $500 to do it...so it will be on the back burner. It needs to be boiled out and pressure tested too.

Warren Lovell

Okay....an important follow up. This radiator isn’t an exact fit. Almost. I had to fabricate custom mounting pads as the tank is smaller than the Harrison. It also needed to be raised up to allow the top clamps to work. In all, I probably spent an hour making it work. Had to trim plastic radiator shroud where the upper radiator hose is. All the lines went in and it came with adapters for the passenger side lines. Now the problem. There is a 3/8” hose barb for what purpose I do not know. There is also an aluminum plug of unknown size that I will probably drill and tap for the low coolant lever sensor. For the heater hose I am using an adapter from 3/8” to 3/4”. Hopefully that won’t cause any issues. If it does, I will pull radiator and tig weld a 3/4 barb onto the tank. In the meantime - I am sending “Harrison” out for a recore. Hope this helps someone decide if they want an aluminum radiator. Stil, it was better than that plastic tank radiator I returned.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They still make the copper/brass one.
OEM design and quality
Exact fit.
Factory painted black.
$435 if I remember correctly. (from the local radiator shop).

Part number has been posted in several threads.
I started a thread when I bought my copper/brass radiator.

You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Bare metal, especially aluminum, is an excellent heat conductor.
Just called Reliable Radiator and they said painting the tanks would be fine, but didn't recommend painting the core.
Factory painted black.

Hmmmm. One makes theirs black, one says don't paint it. Seems most used to be painted, most now are not.

Why is all that?

Well, I can think of one really good reason to NOT paint your radiator. Most of us, being amateurs, might clog it up with paint. Never mind what heat transfer difference there might be between black and silver, clogged air passages are a big problem.

But what about that heat transfer difference between black and silver? Is there a difference, and if so, which is better?

Black is better. There's no question. Turns out if something absorbs heat well, it also emits heat well. Whether it's absorbing radiant heat or emitting radiant heat, black is far more effective than silver. That's why the SR-71 is black. It's not for stealth, like a night bomber. It's to help reduce the heat buildup on the skin of the plane. At the speeds that thing flies, the air friction heats the skin to 900+ degrees. Without the black paint, it is estimated that the skin would reach 1,000 degrees. Plus, once it lands, it cools down much more quickly than bare aluminum would.

So why are most radiators these days NOT painted black?

Cost.

That's it. It's not because bare is better. It's purely to save a few pennies on each vehicle. It's actually cheaper to build the radiator just a bit bigger, than to paint it black. It's not just the cost of the paint itself, it's another series of steps in the process.

When I have to replace mine, whatever I put in it, I'll leave mine the way it comes. I'd probably clog it up if I tried to paint it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cost is exactly right.
Plus bare aluminum will eventually corrode depending on its environment.

They did a very good job painting mine.
Nothing clogged or blobbed up anywhere.
Not even a run in the paint.
Most of the scuff marks were from me.

3300E568-56A2-4967-A88D-E99502400A2D.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks