• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone removed the run-flat inserts from M101A3 tires?

Fudge0514

Having never taken apart a 'run-flat' before - I was wondering what is the standard 'run-flat/bead-lock' piece made out of...?

Like most - I have Goodyear MTR Hummer 37x12.50x16.5 tires on my M101A3 trailer. The rims are 12 bolt design.

I have seen different materials offered for sale on the 'run-flat' pieces - rubber, PVC plastic, even magnesium...but which one is inside my trailer wheels right now do you think?

William :cry:
I don't know for sure, but I'm 95% sure they are solid rubber. The original runflats on the original HMMWV 8 bolt wheels were magnesium, but as far as I know the runflats used with the 12 bolt wheels were rubber.

The proper way to remove the runflat is to use a runflat compressor, basically a heavy duty ratchet strap to compress the runflat. The easier way (and less messy) is to chain the tire to something very solid (ie tree, solid metal posts, etc), then put a chain around the runflat and connect to a truck. Then very slowly pull the runflat out. I've had 5 runflats pulled this way and there was no damage to either the runflat or the tire.

derf

We trimmed some down to use with XZL tires. They were rubber, about 5/8" to 3/4" thick. We trimmed them in a mill with a slitting saw. We used part of the rim to make a jig, tilted the mill head to match the original angle, and rotated the insert about the slitting saw.