• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arctic Fuel Burning Heater Install

coyotegray

It came with an off switch... Ill be ok.:-D Ill also be able to drive around with the windows down in Janurary....;-)

My plan is to add a removable duct so I can heat the bed with the cover on if I want .

Andy..

ccequipment

Just leave your window down and wear a t shirt when its 30 below and you will be fine. Nothing to hard about it, you will have to remove your fuel pump to instal a pickup in the tank, or take the brass 90 with the kit and solder a 3/16" (I think) into the 90, you will have to take a drill bit and ream it out a little, this will save you from pulling the tank pump if you don't want to. The heat is nice, you can never have to much heat, thats why they make off switches and windows

coyotegray

OK, someone tell me just how the hell am I supposed to manage to connect the defroster ducting!! I think who ever designed this was a communist trying to sabotage our arctic operational abilities!! After trying for what seemed like an hour I would swear that the ducting and the built in defroster flange are the same dam size…:evil:

Andy..

ccequipment

OK, someone tell me just how the hell am I supposed to manage to connect the defroster ducting!! I think who ever designed this was a communist trying to sabotage our arctic operational abilities!! After trying for what seemed like an hour I would swear that the ducting and the built in defroster flange are the same dam size…:evil:

Andy..
Thats a pain in the a??, I find it easiest to pull the gauge cluster out then you can get to them easier the drivers side is the hardest

jesusgatos

My plan is to add a removable duct so I can heat the bed with the cover on if I want .
I'm planning on installing one of these heaters in my M109 and ducting air to the cab and box. If anyone has come up with a clean way to do that, I'd like to hear about it.

And I agree about never having too much heat, or too many types. I've got back-ups for back-ups. 1) Radiant heat in the floor (heated by a propane-fired tankless water-heater or engine-coolant via heat exchanger), 2) forced-air heaters in the radiant loop, 3) multi-fuel heater.

FormerNewMVGuy

Andy..

I took the guage cluster out and also took the glovebox out , and still had a bear of time................But they do fit on there!

grizcty

Hells Bells,

You don't need that in the lower 48.
Too hard to install, and takes up to much room, anyway.:stir pot:
Send it up here, to Alaska.:idea:

At 60 below, there is no such thing as to much heat!

ccequipment

Hells Bells,

You don't need that in the lower 48.
Too hard to install, and takes up to much room, anyway.:stir pot:
Send it up here, to Alaska.:idea:

At 60 below, there is no such thing as to much heat!
Thats a good place for them, the last one i put on a truck for a customer he shipped it to AK

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......the hot water (coolant) heater and the fuel burning heater are both rated 30,000 btu/hr, the big difference is that the engine doesn't have to be hot for the fuel burning heater to put out and it's nice to have heat without the engine running. :)

Edit: Technically, the fuel burning heater alone constitutes the "Cold weather" kit (-25°F) not "Arctic"...

Last edited:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I love my heater. Its nice to start the truck, throw on the heater and have a toasty cab in less than 5 minutes. It was 8 degrees out and I was roasting with the heat on low so I shut it off. Needless to say, mine will not restart unless I am stopped.( This is due to what I suspect is a sensor seeing the wick is light and airflow across it prevents it. )Well back to the story, 20 minutes later I was freezing and sure wanted to stop to fire it off. We did not get any real snow here in Maryland last winter so I did not get to play in the snow with my deuce and really put it to the test using defrost. A word of warning. When I picked up my truck the gasket around the glove box was melted. My first thought was that this truck had been parked in the desert. The fuel heater will melt anything in sight if left running and unattended. That included windshield gaskets, glove box gaskets and I suspect anything left on the floor in front of the open duct. That is my 2 cents on this day after fathers day.

LanceRobson

The fuel burning heaters will throw air hot enough to melt rucksacks and cook off ammo (one hell of a story!) if the duct work is short enough and they're on "HIGH" Like many other things dealing with MVs, remember you "operate" MVs, as opposed to "drive" them. You have to keep aware of the situation around you at all times.

Another possible hazard is that if the windows are really cold and you sock the hot air to them the glass can shatter due to unequal expansion. The solution is to get into the habit of heating the air in the cab first and let that do the initial deicing, then switch to the defrosters to keep the windows clear. You'll find this tid-bit in some vehicle TMs.

My son, Chris, and I have three of the smaller 20K BTU heaters and they would seem a more viable size for most of us. I intend to install one in the cab of my M35A2C, possibly in the lower console between the bucket seats. I'll keep the hot water heater, too, and see how cold it gets before I think I need to switch to the fuel fired heater.

Lance

800summit

I have the artic heater in mine, you start it on hi and I switch it to low after she is lite.
mine gets so hot it cracked the windshield.
replacing the ducting with a gas dryer hose is a good idea, I removed the dash pannel to do this.

baxter

Sorry I don't mean to hijack but I am having trouble getting my heater to light. I am getting alot of air when trying to bleed it and I am getting some smoke out of the exhaust any help would be great .
Baxter

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air in the fuel supply line is never good.
Some smoke is good, it means something is burning....:)
How long do you keep the switch in "START" position? It may take up to 2 minutes before it runs on its own and when it starts, flip switch immediately to "RUN", any hesitation will stop the fuel pump and extinguish the flame.
Do a search with keywords like "fuelburning" and "heater", should produce a bunch of hits.

After I stopped working on my coolant heater last Fall, I'm only now getting psyched up to get started again (good thing it's a hobby)....

coyotegray

Sorry I don't mean to hijack but I am having trouble getting my heater to light. I am getting alot of air when trying to bleed it and I am getting some smoke out of the exhaust any help would be great .
Baxter
No problem. Hijack away...

You may have a leak at a fitting or a pin hole if there is any corrosion on the line. You could blow he fuel out of the line and then plug it and hook up a compressor or pressurized tire to the other end and spray a water/soap solution and look for the bubbles..

Make sure the fuel tank full enough for the pickup to reach the fuel..

Andy..

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do not start it in high. Use low according to the TM. Check your fittings and fuel pump. If the pump is not running you may only be getting fuel pumped from your tank pump, which would prevent you from gtting enough fuel to run. Oh yea, check your filter if you have one installed. That is my 2 cents for the evening!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks