• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arctic Fuel Burning Heater Install

baxter

I have installed two of these heaters, one in my truck and one in a friends, all has been well until now my friend was running his today to test it before it starts getting really cold. As he was driving he noticed it just wasnt getting very hot and then it just shut off and would not restart so when he got home he cleaned the fuel filter it was a little dirty but not bad, he reinstalled it and the heater started but again would not get very hot and then shut off again. He said the air at the diverter was only about 120 degrees befor the temp was about 300 degrees. If anyone has any thoughts they would be helpfull.

Thank you
Vaughn

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it starts, the it must be hot enough for the "transfer" switch to operate. If it stalls out after that, then there is a fuel delivery problem IMHO, like in the fuel control valve.
Open the bleed valve on it and if there is fuel flowing, then you'll need to check calibration of the valve itself.

To check for fuel flow, disconnect the connector on the heater and turn the control box switch to "RUN", that will operate the fuel pump without the heater fan running. The bleeder valve is located next to the inlet port, turn it CCW to open.

Edit: Added image

Attachments

Last edited:

baxter

Ok we have good fuel to the heater but the heater is leeking fuel all over from the inside Is there anything that we should look at first or do we just start taking the heater apart and see.

Vaughn

800summit

There is a fuel control valve repair kit from South Wind,but you will have to submit some paperwork for them. (Homeland Security) I would let the heater run for a while and let the rubber O ring get wet. It probably has not been used in a while and is dry. it will weep down the side for a while, but might clear up after some use.
Hope this helps

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked on the control valve rebuild kit from South Wind one time and it's like $80....but yes, it's available and I think there was a minimum order of 3 or 5 kits...

800summit

I just purchased 1 last year Call South Wind and tell them you need the repair kit for the model heater you have, They are nice people but you will have to submit some paper work unless you work for the DOD

coyotegray

Ok guy's. here is a follow up.. My heater works great. I love it.. For those that laughed at me installing an arctic heater in Oklahoma. Last night’s low was 23 with 50-60 mph winds and we received 14" of snow. I don’t think it got past 25 or so today. Tonight’s low should be around 17 and tomorrow and the next night they are predicting a low of 7 and high winds.

I’m so glad I installed this thing… It thawed me out in between pulling people out...

Thanks for everyones help...

Andy...

Last edited:

IMA944T

Hey where are you in OK. We wnet out in the city Thursday night and did some travel'n with all the people. My new OEM water type heat just really wasn't enough even with rad cover so engine ran at 180. And when traveling north the windshield and wipers froze up. How much was your artic heater and where does it mount. what if some one was to route the xtra heat of one to the lower outside of the windshield? Make a small vent type of something so it comes up about 4 inches and let hot air come out into the outside over windshield and them up over wipers. Would have to be removeable for summer time to open windshiled. but if the heater produce so much extra heat letting some of it go outside over the windshiled might be a plus. Make the vent so it's about 2 or 3 inches away from windshield and this would depense the heat over large area and mix with outside air. May only raise outside air around wipers ten degree or so but that would help wipers and shield from freezing up. Like hold hair dryer in face outside. Not real hot anymore but you can feel the difference.

coyotegray

I’m in NW OKC. We must have pulled a couple dozen people out just in and around my neighborhood....
It was the damdis't thing I have ever seen.

We would be at an intersection with 6-8 stuck cars, trucks, and 4x4s, hooking up to someone and people with mini vans and small cars would drive right up and get stuck. People would just drive the car until it wouldn't go anymore like they were blind and then act like...What happened..?

You would think they would notice the giant army truck pulling the 4X4 out and get the message, but nope...

I saw people on the NW Expressway get stuck on hills because it was icy, then people behind them get impatient and try to go around into 2 foot snow drifts and get stuck... One after another...!!

At one point my biggest problem getting around wasn’t the snow or wind, it was all the stuck cars blocking my way…

ETA - I got my arctic heater off ebay from OKC Auction Services and picked it up localy.. Im not sure if they have anymore... It mounts in the same place as the water heater.. It was around $700..

I haven't installed the defroster vents yet and it still heated up the cab so fast it melted the ice from the windshield and windows...

Andy...

Last edited:

IMA944T

I live east of Tinker AFB and we had to rescue friend at NE 10 and May. Took Reno there and saw probably 200 cars along reno stuck. Along with semis and UPS and Fedx truck. We were in a hurry so when it came to 10 or more vehicles taking up both lanes we took the median and up and over curbs, parking lots and though the ditches. Was going though snow drifts the were up to frt. fender. Hate to say this but we were in hurry and if there was cars that weren't stuck but were stopped and we drove up they kinda parted ways to let us go by.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks