• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are the Florida titles worth it?

tage

The reason I ask, is that they charge 100 bucks. I talked to the DMV on my latest title transfer and they said they are okay with sf97's. It changes per staff though

Mike82ndABN

the florida title is going to be marked "off road" and it will be OHV. I talked to a DMV inspector in FL and he said that once it is marked off road in FL you cannot remove that title branding. there is also a title database called NMVTIS that other states can see if you try to title it elsewhere, after florida has titled it, the OHV off road brand will appear there.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your state accepts the sf-97 then go with that. Some states require a title for these MV's and nothing less so that's where the Florida title comes in.

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
In my opinion if your state takes the SF97 go that route. I would say I print 10 times more SF97 only HMMWV's than full titles.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Called gp about my sf97, and the rep recommended the Florida title. Any input?

5 calls to DMV generally gets you 5 mutually exclusive answers.

I have been unable to get AZ to accept SF97 for any vehicles. I have always gone with real titles.

My experience is for 5ton trucks and assorted trailers. I have no direct experience with anything specific to hmmwvs.

tage

Please remember folks that the newly released HMMWVs titles and SF-97s are for "OFF-ROAD" use only. Any other discussion about titling them otherwise on this site will get you banned.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?138670-HMMWV-Titling
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?141342-Spoke-to-GP-about-the-new-SF-97-for-HMMWVs

You have been warned.

It's a farm truck. Don't worry. No talk about getting around the rules here. No one wants their HMMWV confiscated. Please withdraw your warning. :usafss:

Last edited:

tage

Anyways Back On Topic

5 calls to DMV generally gets you 5 mutually exclusive answers.

I have been unable to get AZ to accept SF97 for any vehicles. I have always gone with real titles.

My experience is for 5ton trucks and assorted trailers. I have no direct experience with anything specific to hmmwvs.

That's strange. The lady I talked to up at the Cave Creek office had a little circle jerk with the brass from the back room. The decision that was made, was that all I need to do is bring in the SF97 and they'll convert it to a title. No need to bring in the truck for a vin inspection (which I thought was a little suspect). I'm looking for the title only so that I can transfer it to my corp.

Having my Florida titles made switching to my name a breeze. My local county clerk has no experience with sf97's. Titling a truck today with a Utah title was a hour long complicated process

springbok

I can see the fun of getting to drive your HUMVEE down the road would be fun but that is not what these are being sold as. I drive my HV to work almost every day, it has had a title to it since the 90's so I did not get around any laws on it.
Right now it is in the 90's with humidity so bad you are dripping after a 10 minute walk. Remember, no AC and the whole thing is a giant heater. It really looses it's appeal fast, I need to get my pickup back from my son...
Next, my kids look at all the nice hard pointy bits in the truck and ask how big a mark that is going to leave if someone hits us, they are 13. These things are not really safe if someone hits you.
Last, with a top speed of 60, it is not like you are going to take it cross country and you better have ear protection, oh and forget about a conversation, they sort of go like, hey hun you ok? what? What? WHAT??? Insert odd facial expressions here..
That is my two cents worth.
Remember, if people keep trying and getting titles and are on the road and getting in trouble, they will just stop selling them.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a farm truck. Don't worry. No talk about getting around the rules here. No one wants their HMMWV confiscated. Please withdraw your warning. :usafss:
The warning will not be removed. It is directed to EVERYONE, just not you. As you can see others are injecting their thoughts.

Getting an SF-97 and a title for off-road is perfectly fine. Side stepping the OFF-ROAD restriction is not.

Last edited:
Anyone in CO had experience with a SF97 and titling it as an Off-Road Vehicle? I'd prefer not to deal with a FL title and the extra fees along with the Out of State VIN Verification that has to be done by the State Patrol on out of state titled vehicles.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had 0 trouble with Oklahoma using only an SF97, for both 5t trucks and multiple trailers. I am only using it for private use and there was no issues for me, but I have an EXCELLENT tag lady. I think alot has to do with if they tag rep. wants to go through 1 more piece of paper to fill out, that is all that it is for OK.

Had a Highway Patrol in the tag office behind me in line, I asked him if he had any issues with personal tagged truck and personal tagged trailer (M931 & M373), then showed him the photo, he said 'no its personal use and thats a pretty cool rig'

One suggestion, even if they don't require a VIN inspection, take a pic of the vin plate with you when you go to the tag office.

NorwegianM998

In my opinion if your state takes the SF97 go that route. I would say I print 10 times more SF97 only HMMWV's than full titles.

Hi JWade : glad to see a GovPlanet representative on this forum, to clear things up for the members.

I have a question regarding the florida title, does it state the model year of the HMMVW in question, f.eks if the data plate says 07/85, is it then evident on the (Off Road only) Florida Title that this vehicle is a 1985 model? This can have bearing on how the vehicle is treated (as a classic here in Norway for example).

And also: Is there any restrictions on exporting these HMMWVs? From Govplanets info I read that in order to buy one, international buyers will have to use the help of a US citizen.

thank you
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks