• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are the M1009 differential covers special military parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexAndy

Just went to replace my rear differential cover and the holes do not line up with the replacement I got at Oreilly's.

I told the clerk it was for a diesel 4WD 85 blazer.

Did the military 1009s use a different axle housing from the civilian blazers?

The replacement is a 10 bolt cover... the holes just don't line up and the replacement is slightly too small, to boot.

Keith_J

How far off are the holes? That is weird. Guess they use RTV and no gasket. But you could make a tracing and take it back to them.

Keith_J

Must be wrong part. Not out of the standard. I've gotten wrong parts several times. Now Chinese castings? All out of spec. I've had to grind brake parts like wheel cylinders and rotors because the casting surface was way too large. Guess iron is cheap in China.

KansasBobcat

Got the exact fit gasket at O'Reillys in Castle Hills (San Antonio) Told them 10 bolt 1984 K5 Blazer. Used RTV on installation. No leaks. Hope to see you at next SA meet. Bob

TexAndy

Is your original cover repairable?
Maybe. I'm afraid to try, because the only way to secure it to hammer it back out is against the flange. More likely to bend other parts of the flange than to fix the little piece that's keeping it from sealing.

Going to take it back to OR's with me and see if we can find the correct replacement part.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you replacing the front or rear? Both are 10 bolts and have different covers. Pics help.

cpf240

Is the part # different for an '84? These trucks are all built from '84 parts... if the factory made a change between '84 and the other years in the civy line, the part may not fit the CUCV then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks