• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arizona Registration Follies: SF97 Fail

Caactus

Finally brought my 1165 into AZ DOT to get the registration done. I expected the worst and Arizona didn't disappoint . My local office didn't have Level 2 (VIN # verification) slot available for a month but was able to get a next day reservation (*required) in an adjoining Phoenix suburb.

No problem with the VIN verification...in and out. Next I was directed to the normal DMV area with my VIN verification to get the title. I simply had the model listed as an M1165A1, no "HMMWV" to try and avoid confusion. Lady looked at the forms for a couple of minutes. "Was this a military vehicle?" Yes, ma'am. Off she goes to the supervisor with my docs. Comes back 10 minutes later. "Unfortunately, we cannot accept the SF97 showing a transfer from Marine Corps System Command to Iron Planet with a Reassignment document". Evidently they would like IronPlanet to obtain a title and then have THAT title signed over to me. (Sigh). I know I'm not the first one to deal with this and it wasn't totally unexpected. Another guy is bringing his into AZ MVD today as well with some kind of Power of Attorney document that he's hoping will work. I'm waiting to hear how that goes.

I called GP Titles and left a message due to "higher than anticipated call volumes". While I wait for the call back, I read on SS about GP providing a Florida
"MOTOR VEHICLE TITLE REASSIGNMENT SUPPLEMENT". I'm open for suggestions if anyone has one. Thanks in advance

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought most of them are now coming with an option for titles?? Mine was like $150 bucks and took a month... I took out of state title in to DMV and they swapped it for a new one for my state.. The SF97 route just didn't appeal to me.. Too many hurdles to jump.. Get title option if you can.. Sorry about your predicament.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As OSTEO16 said, I always get titles, not the SF97. I dealt with this previously with GOVLIQUIDATION. At first, they tried to give you a notarized letter indicating they were reassigning said vehicle to you. That did not work in Maryland. Then, they got wise and eventually started issuing state dealer reassignment forms with their SF97s in their name. That worked. With that said, I assume GP has an official dealer reassignment form. If they do, a dealer may transfer existing title without moving it into their name. This is what GP is attempting here. I'd make the form is an official state dealer reassignment form, and then try another DMV location.

Caactus

As far as the SF97... evidently that was my mistake. I was under the impression that was what I needed but I'm new to all this and if a regular title would have been better, than my hind sight is 20/20.

Just got back from talking with the guy who registered his an hour after I got rejected. He's titled a number of them and each one is a struggle. One helpful person previously told him he needed an "Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles Power of Attorney" form. It states the specific VIN and provides him the ability to act as an agent of GP for the purpose of titling that specific vehicle...but it had to go to GP and back to get notarized so he could bring with him. Clearly he was much better prepared than I was.

Anyhow, armed with this new approach, I'm off to make copies of the SF97 and my Drivers License to include with the form so I can Fedex it off tomorrow. Back to the waiting game.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It really depends on your state, how your licensing agencies deal with things, and whether or not the agent you're dealing with has had their beauty sleep. I've processed a ton of SF-97s in 2 states with no issues. Military vehicles in general are starting to get the eye of freedom hating people, and restrictions are being put in place in quite a few states.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It really depends on your state, how your licensing agencies deal with things, and whether or not the agent you're dealing with has had their beauty sleep. I've processed a ton of SF-97s in 2 states with no issues. Military vehicles in general are starting to get the eye of freedom hating people, and restrictions are being put in place in quite a few states.
With experience specific to AZ and a sample size of dozens, I will emphatically state that the single most important variable is who you get behind the counter. Simple luck of the draw....

Action

Pay the extra $150 and get a title from GP. You can do it after purchase. I called to inquire about getting title for a GA m1152. I was told it would be a CA title. This was in 2020.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I thought it was attainable in less than the two months minimum it seems to take them to do anything, I’d probably consider it.
I’m waiting for my title now and they said 90 days. I thought 150.00 for a normal title was a bargain and once you have on road title it should be easier to register. I’m nervous a little bit and worse case I will have to move. Lol everything is so hard with these vehicles and it’s like they are trying to discourage you every step of the way..

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’m waiting for my title now and they said 90 days. I thought 150.00 for a normal title was a bargain and once you have on road title it should be easier to register. I’m nervous a little bit and worse case I will have to move. Lol everything is so hard with these vehicles and it’s like they are trying to discourage you every step of the way..
Don't get to say it very often, but YEP, you got that right!

Discouragement at every turn.
That applies to these trucks, ownership of whatever everybody else has (Think Volkswagen in the 30's and 40's) but not what YOU want, firearms, and ownership of your own place to live.

jrtoffroad

I just don't understand the push back on registering these vehicles. I have no problem with them saying we have to ensure they meet a reasonable safety standard, but I'm confident my hmmwv is FAR safer and more roadworthy than my CJ7 and of course I have no problem registering that and driving it on the road to my hearts content. I'd love to know what emissions standards and DOT safety standards my HMMWV doesn't meet so I can ensure compliance.

I stumbled on this very frustrating letter from the Michigan Secretary of State specifically aimed at preventing on-road HMMWV use: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Humvee_Info_Letter_526983_7.pdf

A couple of my "favorite" quotes:
"Buyers are fully aware they cannot register a Humvee for road use. "

"If in error another state titles a Humvee with an on-road title, it can only be titled as an off-road vehicle in this state. When the Michigan Department of state questions another state’s Department of Motor Vehicles about the on-road title they issued a Humvee, the state acknowledges their titling error and recalls the erroneous title to be re-issued as an off-road vehicle (ORV) title "

EDIT: Sorry to derail this thread, It's just a very frustrating subject.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just don't understand the push back on registering these vehicles. I have no problem with them saying we have to ensure they meet a reasonable safety standard, but I'm confident my hmmwv is FAR safer and more roadworthy than my CJ7 and of course I have no problem registering that and driving it on the road to my hearts content. I'd love to know what emissions standards and DOT safety standards my HMMWV doesn't meet so I can ensure compliance.

I stumbled on this very frustrating letter from the Michigan Secretary of State specifically aimed at preventing on-road HMMWV use: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Humvee_Info_Letter_526983_7.pdf

A couple of my "favorite" quotes:
"Buyers are fully aware they cannot register a Humvee for road use. "

"If in error another state titles a Humvee with an on-road title, it can only be titled as an off-road vehicle in this state. When the Michigan Department of state questions another state’s Department of Motor Vehicles about the on-road title they issued a Humvee, the state acknowledges their titling error and recalls the erroneous title to be re-issued as an off-road vehicle (ORV) title "

EDIT: Sorry to derail this thread, It's just a very frustrating subject.
Yes indeed and without stirring the fire - what needs to happen is for the MV community in Michigan to contact their local politicians. Need to hammer them on a regular basis with as many phone calls and letters as possible.

THIS IS A GAME. They don't give a damn about you or your truck. This is somebody's axe to grind and they are currently winning the war.

Frustrating doesn't begin to explain how stupid it is, but fussing about it here won't help anything. Me personally, I think it never should have been possible, but we are way beyond that. Best of luck fighting the government that is supposed to be protecting you (all of us!). The idiot governor in Michigan needs to be ousted. That would be a good starting point.

Signed:

Tim Mullaney
Citizen in Charlotte, North Carolina
(who unfortunately cannot fight in your battle)

Action

That letter is dated May 2016. Didn’t these come with big red stamp on paperwork back then? And a statement in auction listing about off highway use?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They can’t deny processing the SF97 with reassignment…those are official Govt forms and are notarized.
you got the wrong person unfortunately….very common actually.
US Govt vehicles of any sort will come with SF97, could just as easily be a van or car owned by Govt.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As OSTEO16 said, I always get titles, not the SF97. I dealt with this previously with GOVLIQUIDATION. At first, they tried to give you a notarized letter indicating they were reassigning said vehicle to you. That did not work in Maryland. Then, they got wise and eventually started issuing state dealer reassignment forms with their SF97s in their name. That worked. With that said, I assume GP has an official dealer reassignment form. If they do, a dealer may transfer existing title without moving it into their name. This is what GP is attempting here. I'd make the form is an official state dealer reassignment form, and then try another DMV location.
You are correct, GL did it and so did GP. GP has tried to cut back on issuing dealer title transfer forms as of late and I called them out on it after receiving 4 SF-97s and no dealer title transfer forms. Texas never has accepted their "Notarized Transfer Form" as proof and quite frankly anyone with MS Word can make one so I don't blame them. If anyone ever needs a dealer title transfer form they just need to twist GP's arm until they cave in. The forms are serialized and I'm sure they want to limit any possible liability the future my bring (speculation on my part) as well as it costing less labor/cost.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They claim 'it's all about safety', and demand FMVSS compliance... When some of these trucks were built before FMVSS.... They'll register a Model T, but not a deuce (in MD, for example).

It has nothing to do with 'safety', has to do with control.
Seems simple to me when it comes to safety and even those idiots can answer it right!
Had you rather have an accident in one of those unsafe Humvee’s or a motorcycle? Hahaha I have experienced one of those and it was not fun. They just cringe at the sight of the Humvee because they know who’s behind the wheel and what they believe in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks