• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arkansas Red Ballin Through the River Valley May 11 2013

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Got this in an E-mail today.

[FONT=&quot]We are in the planning stages of the 10-11 May 2013 Red Ball Display and Convoy out of Russellville. It will help with the planning to get a general idea of how many plan to attend. This is not a firm commitment to attend, as sometimes plans are altered as the date approaches. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Registration forms will be available online as soon as arrangements are confirmed. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please let us know if you are entertaining the thoughts of participating. Please forward my email to others (that are not AR MVPA members) that you know of that might be planning to attend. Russellville is planning on making "challenge coins" for all participants and they need a rough count as soon as possible, so they will know how many to order.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks, Ev[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you would like your name added to the list please let [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Evelyn Harless (plheh38@hughes.net) [/FONT][/FONT]know. Also she need to know if you will have riders that plan to come with you as each participant will receive a coin. [/FONT]

Attachments

ARYankee

I might actually attempt to make it. I'll have to wait until it gets closer to figure out if I can fly home and take the time off. I know my sons and I had a blast year. My avatar is a shot of the 923 in the convoy. There were only 2 5 tons in it, myself , and a guy from southern AR with his 800 series dump.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The LaQuinta in Russellville (479-967-2299) was our host hotel and will be again. I checked with the hotel manager "Dusti" and she will give our group the "military discount" again. The rooms are $77 for one king bed, $82 for two queen beds. Pets are free, there is a free hot breakfast, free WiFi, and an indoor pool. Just say you are with the military convoy group and confirm she gives you the discount.

ARYankee

The LaQuinta.... Hmmm. I think I still have enough points that I may be able to get a free night there. I know last year me and my boys stayed at a different chioce hotel that had an indoor swimming pool. They wanted to go swimming. Not sure who will be with me this year as the time gets closer, I will know. If anyone is interested and doesn't want to spend money on a room, I can try to book a room to share with 2 queen size beds. I know last year we organized a dinner the night before, we can try and do that again this year if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The 2013 Red Ball Rally/Convoy is only three short months away. It's time to start making your plans and getting your vehicle ready. Like last year we will be staging at Lake Dardanelle State Park just west of Russellville. With help from city officials we are expanding the event to two days with a vehicle rally/display on Friday, May 10, and the convoy will take place Saturday morning, May 11. We will return to the park early Saturday afternoon to continue the vehicle display and enjoy a catered BBQ dinner that evening. A preliminary event schedule is below and attached you will find the convoy route/schedule and a convoy map. From comments following last years "fast paced" convoy we will run a shorter route this year totaling 72 miles. This will give us more time to relax and visit and keep the speed down. Highlights of this years convoy will include a stop at Arkansas' Nuclear One Power Plant for a brief talk on the operation and history of the plant, a morning rest stop at Lamar City Park in the center of the small town, and our lunch stop at beautiful Long Pool Recreation Area on Big Piney Creek. A picnic lunch will be provided by the chapter but the pavilion at Long Pool is small so bring some chairs and maybe a table for your riders to share. There are some picnic tables in the trees surrounding the pavilion but there won't be enough seating for everyone. Bring your swimsuit if you want to take a chilly dip in the Big Piney. You may also want to bring along your favorite snack and drink to enjoy along the route. Don't forget your medications.

At Lake Dardanelle Park we have use of a large pavilion within steps of the lake and a large area in the surrounding trees to display our vehicles. There will be plenty of shade and a great view of the lake. Participants will be on their own for lunch and dinner on Friday and we ask that you make use of the many restaurants in Russellville. Ruby Tuesday, Colton's Steak House, IHOP, Cracker Barrel, Waffle House, Burger King, Arby's, Dixie Cafe, are just a few in the vicinity of our host hotel LaQuinta Inn, just a few miles from the park. The LaQuinta is again giving us the "military discount" of $77 for a king bed and $82 for two queen beds. They have a free hot breakfast, free WiFi, an indoor pool, and pets are free (notify them if you are bringing a pet). Call Dusti at the LaQuinta at 479-967-2299. Be sure to say you are with the "military convoy group" and that they give you the military discount. There is also a Super 8 Hotel right behind the LaQuinta and you can reach them at 479-968-8898. There is no discount offered at the Super 8 but they are usually a little cheaper and be sure to ask about pets. Both hotels share a large gravel parking area for trucks and trailers if needed and there will be space for POVs and trailers at the park. If you wish to camp at Lake Dardanelle Park you can get pricing info and reserve your campsite at www.arkansasstateparks.com/lakedardanelle/ or by calling 479-967-5516. Be sure to ask for a space away from Dave Hopkins or your wheels may go missing!
All participants of this years Rally/Convoy will receive a one of kind challenge coin minted special for the event. Jim Bob Humphrey of the Russellville Veterans Task Force is working on the design of the coin and from the preliminary artwork we've seen it's going to be a very nice piece, commemorating our convoy and the WWII Red Ball Express. For those arriving early on Friday we may put together a visit with a smaller group of vehicles to the Senior Activity Center and/or the nearby Junior High School. More information will be sent as plans are firmed up. If you have any questions about the Red Ball Rally/Convoy feel free to email or call Paul and Ev Harless at plheh38@hughes.net, 501-727-5530. Make your plans to have a great time in the Arkansas River Valley! Keep 'em rolling and stay on the ball!

Red Ball Rally/Convoy tentative schedule:

Friday, May 10

800 to 1300 hours, vehicles arrive, setup of display area.
1300 to 1700 hours, vehicle display open to the public.
1700 hours, display closes, break for dinner.

Saturday, May 11

800 to 1400 hours, Red Ball Convoy
1400 to 1700 hours, vehicle display open to the public.
1700 hours, display closes, break for dinner.
1800 hours, catered BBQ dinner at the park pavilion.
1900 hours, challenge coin and award presentations at the pavilion

ARYankee

I got the same email which means I must be back in a somewhat good standing with them although I'm not a club member :) I'm making arrangements to take my final company paid trip home during that time so I should be there. I'll wait a little bit longer, once I know that I can make it, before I send them an email stating that I am 100% commited.

ARYankee

I will be there, in the 813 or the 818/932 so maybe we can up the count on the big trucks this year!
I'm always looking to up the big truck count!!! Show up those pansy trailer queens :) The convoy actually went really well last year with minimal breakdowns from the trailer queens.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would like to drive the desert duce down but with fuel prices like they are and 360 miles one way, I will either take the M1009 or M890.

Attachments

Breach27

Anybody want to convoy down from the Bentonville/Rogers area or meet up as one passes through. I live right off us71/I540 for all you coming from the north. I've already got the M923 all ready.

mudball

It's not a definite yet, but I'm gonna try to make it down in my m923a2. If the schedule and wife cooperate. Anybody volunteer to convince her 10 gallons'o diesel will run it for 4.5 to 5 hrs to get there?

supertech

Finally getting back in the game. I wished I had made the trip last year, but due to parental obligations and the heat I was unable to make the run. Training a 2 year old to wear hearing protection is impossible. I met several folks last year at the dinner and I would definately be up for that again.

ARYankee

Finally getting back in the game. I wished I had made the trip last year, but due to parental obligations and the heat I was unable to make the run. Training a 2 year old to wear hearing protection is impossible. I met several folks last year at the dinner and I would definately be up for that again.
Sweet glad to see you back in it. I figure we will do the dinner thing again this year like last year. It was great meeting you last year. Are you going to be able to drive in it this year? You are more than welcome to ride with us.

Breach27

Got a full service done on the M923 and I'm getting geared up. The truck should look completely different by the event. Will be changing it to an A1 and having it painted Desert merdc. Looking forward to the event. See ya all there.

Breach

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Latest email
We are only one month away from the Red Ball Rally/Convoy set for May 10-11. You should have your registration form and fee sent in to Evelyn. If you plan to attend the 21 April meeting at Mountain Harbor Resort (Hosted by Bill Barnes) you can turn your registration form and fee in to Ev at that time. Please don't wait till the last minute to do that. The forms can be easily printed out by going to www.armvpa.com and clicking on the Red Ball Convoy tab and then the Registration button. If you will be staying at one of the hotels in Russellville you should have your reservation set. Our host hotel, the LaQuinta Inn, can be reached at 479-967-2299. Be sure to tell them you are with the Military Convoy Group and make sure they give you the military discount. With the discount the rooms are $77 for a king bed, $82 for two queen beds. An alternate to the LaQuinta is the Super 8 Hotel right behind the LaQuinta. They can be reached at 479-968-8898. I didn't get pricing from the Super 8 but they are usually cheaper than LaQuinta. If you wish to park your trailer at your hotel I suggest staying at the Super 8 because they have a large gravel parking lot right next to the hotel that the truckers use. Parking at the LaQuinta is limited. If you wish to camp at Lake Dardanelle Park, our rally/convoy HQ, contact the park at www.arkansasstateparks.com/lakedardanelle/ or by calling 479-967-5516. Two of our members have volunteered to act as guards and will be camping at our HQ pavilion, but the park has limited us to just the two. All others must camp in the regular camping spaces so get your space reserved if you need one. We've been assured that parking of our POVs and trailers will be secure at the park. There is a large gravel parking area with plenty of room not far from HQ. There is a ranger on duty 24/7 and they make regular patrols of the park. Anyone that enters the park after 10pm will be immediately stopped and questioned. It's still a good idea to lock your trailer and secure all your belongings. Your MV will be safe if parked at our HQ pavilion overnight but again be sure to lock and secure everything. Here is a link to a map of Lake Dardanelle Park (scroll to the second page for the map) www.arkansasstateparks.com/!userfiles/pdfs/L-DARDAN-06.pdf Our HQ pavilion is almost dead center on the map. Turn to the right after you enter the park and you will pass the gravel trailer parking area on the right. Keep going and you will come to the pavilion area on the left. If you drive into the camping/marina areas you've gone too far. The park isn't that big so just drive around a bit and you will find the pavilion.

For those coming in for the rally/display at the park on Friday May 10, you can arrive at any time and stake out your spot near the HQ pavilion. But don't worry, there is plenty of room and shade in the surrounding trees and we have the entire area around the pavilion. The park has asked that we park our POVs and trailers in the gravel parking area but we are welcome to pull our MVs off the road and onto the grass around the pavilion. If you have a large vehicle like a 2-1/2 ton or larger it would be a good idea to stay close to the road to prevent any unnecessary damage to park grounds or trees. If you have a smaller vehicle please find a spot back in the trees so there will be space for the big rigs near the road. Please take it easy and make gentle turns while you are off road in the park. We want to be invited back again, BJ! For those that get there early enough on Friday we will be making a run with a smaller group of vehicles to the Russellville Senior Activity Center which is about 6 miles from the park. We will depart the park at 11am. They have invited us to display our vehicles and join them for lunch on Friday. There is a $3.50 charge for the lunch at the Senior Center. Our visit has been advertised and it should be a nice side trip, hopefully with some veterans on hand we can meet. We will be back to the park by 2pm at the latest. The rally/display at the park will run until 5pm and we have no other meals arranged for that day. We ask everyone to make use of the many fine restaurants in the Russellville area. The Russellville A&P has come through with a big donation to support our event and we ask our participants to return the favor and visit Russellville businesses while you are there.

Everyone participating in the Red Ball Convoy on Saturday, May 11, needs to be at the park and preparing your vehicle for the trip by 7am. We will line up on the road that circles the pavilion area. There will be a drivers meeting at the HQ pavilion at 7:30am and all drivers must attend. Route maps and squad lists will be handed out and final convoy instructions will be given. The convoy will depart Lake Dardanelle Park promptly at 8am (0800hrs). We will form into four squads. Our squad leaders this year will be Jerome Casey, Jeff Stinson, Dave Hopkins, and Gil Jeane. We will also have two MPs, Ron Naef and Jerry Gardner (tail-end charlie), assisting with traffic control. Breakdown assistance will again be provided by Clayton Jones who will follow along at the rear. At Ev's latest count we have 93 participants and 45 vehicles making the convoy. Because of the large number of vehicles parking will be tight at some of our stops. Our lunch stop at Long Pool Recreation Area will be the tightest. Please listen to the instructions given at the drivers meeting and always stay in line in your squad and follow the instructions given by your squad leaders and MPs. If you peel off and try to do your own thing it could cause a convoy jamb! Our first stop, scheduled at the Arkansas Nuclear One Power Plant, is in question now because of a fatal accident at the plant recently and the plant is shut down. If we are unable to make the stop there we will still drive by for a good view of the plant and a back road detour will be added in the afternoon to make up for the lost stop. Unless the back road stretch is added all of the convoy will be on pavement with some easy rolling hills. The only steep parts will be the descent in and climb out of Long Pool RA but any well maintained MV can make that with ease. If the back road stretch is added it will be a more strenuous three mile climb up a gravel road, Old Hwy 7, so make sure your vehicle is ready just in case. You should already have, or are getting, your vehicle checked out for the convoy. Check all your fluids, check for leaks, check your spark plugs, wires, and adjust your points, check your brake adjustments, and make sure your battery is good and is charging properly. There have been a couple good articles in Military Vehicles Magazine recently about vehicle maintenance. Get-r-done! We had too many breakdowns last year. Let's go for zero this year!
We plan on returning to the park after the convoy about 2pm (1400hrs) and continuing with the rally/display that afternoon. The rally will conclude at 5pm and the catered BBQ dinner is scheduled for 6pm (1800hrs) at the pavilion. After dinner, about 7pm, the special challenge coins minted by the Russellville Veterans Task Force will be handed out to commemorate the event, and special awards from the AR MVPA will be presented. You can then depart camp or continue to visit with fellow members well into the evening.

Make sure you fill up your gas tank(s) before arriving at Lake Dardanelle Park. The closest gas stations are four to five miles from the park. Don't get caught needing fuel the morning of the convoy. Make sure you have enough juice for the 72 mile run as no gas stops are planned. If you do end up needing fuel during the convoy the best place to get it is at our morning stop in Lamar. There are a couple stations on the west side of the little town on Hwy 64 and they are usually 10 cents or so cheaper then any other stations you will find. There is no fuel available at our other stops. Also keep an eye on the weather reports and prepare accordingly. It's spring time in Arkansas and you never know what to expect. Don't forget your medications and bring along any snacks you will need for the rally and convoy. Coffee, juice, and donuts, will be available at our morning stop and drinks, chips, and the makings for sandwiches will be provided for our picnic lunch at Long Pool RA. Please bring along chairs for you and your riders, and maybe a table as well, to use at Long Pool. There are not enough picnic tables for all of us at the lunch stop. Your chairs and tables may be needed at Lake Dardanelle Park as well if we run out of seating in the pavilion.

Let Ev or myself know if you have any questions or problems. See you all on the Red Ball!

ARYankee

I'm staying at the Comfort Inn. Me and the kids stayed there last year because they had an indoor pool. We are all looking forward to it again this year. Who wants to meet Friday night @ Western Sizzlin? We met up and ate there last year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks