• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arrival of 2nd HMMWV M1151A1

Autonomy_Lost

Some people don't have the skills to buy and flip trucks and parts. That's the person that will be buying that. If you do a search for slant back kits, you'll see even SECO has a kit for $9395.
I mean, it takes skills to install those parts right? How much more skill does it really take to make a gov planet account, bid on a truck, and pull the parts off it? I feel like anyone ambitious enough to tackle a slantback coversion has to at least consider buying a parts truck.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mean, it takes skills to install those parts right? How much more skill does it really take to make a gov planet account, bid on a truck, and pull the parts off it? I feel like anyone ambitious enough to tackle a slantback coversion has to at least consider buying a parts truck.
Agree and disagree. Remember there people that cannot open a gov planet account or are prohibited from obtaining government stuff. There some people who have made a lot of money through out the years by working hard but they don't know how to use a computer or navigate and sometimes have to pay the highest prices.
On the other hand, anyone who is capable and can turn wrenches can buy a truck cheap and use it for parts as you said. There is always more than one option out there.

Screwface

Some people don't have the skills to buy and flip trucks and parts. That's the person that will be buying that. If you do a search for slant back kits, you'll see even SECO has a kit for $9395.
Far too many issues with SECO parts if you want exact fit and reliability, Most of those in the market for a slant kit have previously bought off GP so the EUC wait time is not much of a factor. I don't believe flipping requires much skill it is more of a time and space issue. I will admit that more than ever we're seeing a whole new group of HMMWV buyers who are complete strangers to the HMMWV platform. I have been tempted by the very low auction prices that have been coming out of Yermo but 1-2K to transport to FL keeps me shopping at Albany where you can find a 1165A1 slant for under 6k, the best part about it is I can easily make the 3-hour trip to the yard and lay eyes on it and others as well. The deals can be had if you know exactly what you're bidding on.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Far too many issues with SECO parts if you want exact fit and reliability, Most of those in the market for a slant kit have previously bought off GP so the EUC wait time is not much of a factor. I don't believe flipping requires much skill it is more of a time and space issue. I will admit that more than ever we're seeing a whole new group of HMMWV buyers who are complete strangers to the HMMWV platform. I have been tempted by the very low auction prices that have been coming out of Yermo but 1-2K to transport to FL keeps me shopping at Albany where you can find a 1165A1 slant for under 6k, the best part about it is I can easily make the 3-hour trip to the yard and lay eyes on it and others as well. The deals can be had if you know exactly what you're bidding on.
It is very true.
I am one of those complete strangers to buying humvees, to be Honest i only dreamed and thought that these trucks were only for the movies and military, i never dreamed i could get one. Where i was born, pfffff just drooling 🤤

The prices out of Yermo for shipping are high, but lately i have seen trucks going out of GA for insane amount of money. To be honest it's all over the place, some days you can aim at a good deal and some other is like "what the hell"

Screwface

It is very true.
I am one of those complete strangers to buying humvees, to be Honest i only dreamed and thought that these trucks were only for the movies and military, i never dreamed i could get one. Where i was born, pfffff just drooling 🤤

The prices out of Yermo for shipping are high, but lately i have seen trucks going out of GA for insane amount of money. To be honest it's all over the place, some days you can aim at a good deal and some other is like "what the hell"
The have been quite a few 1165’s that have fetched a pretty penny but those were in near mint condition. The deals can be found when you invest you time into knowing ht you’re bidding on. A trip to the yard can pay off big time when biding on the parts queens, As they say “knowing is half the battle”.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The have been quite a few 1165’s that have fetched a pretty penny but those were in near mint condition. The deals can be found when you invest you time into knowing ht you’re bidding on. A trip to the yard can pay off big time when biding on the parts queens, As they say “knowing is half the battle”.
That is true if you live withing a couple of hours from the yard. The colsest one is GA and just crossing the state line for me is about 6 hours. Probably next time i go to lake lanier i might stop by and see how it is. 🙃

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well guys i bought another truck, mainly for parts to complete my M1151A1. This donor is an M1114, and i see already a couple of parts are not the same bit it was expected. Bare in mind i just paid for this donor $2,100.00. It comes with a rear winch (a plus so far) and a Good thing is the engine is complete (well, almost complete) and the cooling stack is complete as well. The oil.pan in the engine was removed and there is dirt, dust or sand under the engine. It is a slanta back missing the top. The AC seems to be intact but that is not a part i am using, at least now.

I am not planning to disassemble and rebuild the engine, i rather try to start this engine and go from there.

Here comes my questions, some of them might not be important and are just for general knowledge as others are genuine questions.

1- what would you guys use to remove all the dirt and sand from the crank case and piston rods (picture attached) as diesel is corrosive if we let it sit for some time.
2- Why is the battery box bigger (lower) in the M1114?
3- are this bolts and block pieces on the body sides the way they attach the body armor to it?
4- what is this MTP sticker on the valve covers? A good sign? Reputable company?

I might have more questions down the road.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks