• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

As if the power doesn't go out enough on it's own!!!!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like the title says....As if my power doesn't go out enough of it's own accord. Yesterday I get a nice post card from the utility company that on Wednesday the 30th there is going to be a planned 4 hour power outage to do repairs. aua aua

The poor quility of my service is why I bought my generators to begin with, so I guess I get to use one of them for a few hours on Wednesday. At least they let me know when it's going to go out, so I can plan for it. I sure am glad I have them...especially since we had another cold snap and the temps have been down in the high 20's and low 30's for the last few days. It would suck to not have any heat or water for 4 hours of prime daylight time.

ODdave

Had to fire up a 350kw genset today. Boy the kitty-CAT let us know she was un happy about the cold, must have been 20 min before it stoped hunting. Man was that loud.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A power outage here today would have killed me. Was 89° and no power would mean no A/C. At least if worse comes to worse, you can build a fire to stay warm.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, I feel for ya. I like it in the mid 70's myself...I'll never understand why you moved to FL if you don't like the heat?????

I run mine every month for at least an hour each, regardless of winter/summer. My power goes out often enough that I want them to be ready at the drop of a hat. I make it a point to load bank them at least once a year

LuckyDog

...I'll never understand why you moved to FL if you don't like the heat?????
Every time I hear about someone MOVING to FLA, I remember that Seinfeld episode where Jerry said " My parents didn't want to move to Florida, but they turned sixty and that's the law. ":p

Now, I don't know if either of you are over the limit... but at least we know Kenny is going to be legal. :p

(I am with Tom, I'll stay up north where the temps are more my style.)

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was more adaptable to the heat when I moved here in 1989. My career has gone well and there is a light on the horizon. My family is grown here as well so it's just not easy to leave. I'll endure the heat but nothing will make me stop complaining. Here in SE FL we have only 3 seasons; Summer, January and Hurricane.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every time I hear about someone MOVING to FLA, I remember that Seinfeld episode where Jerry said " My parents didn't want to move to Florida, but they turned sixty and that's the law. ":p

Now, I don't know if either of you are over the limit... but at least we know Kenny is going to be legal. :p

(I am with Tom, I'll stay up north where the temps are more my style.)

I'm not gonna say that Kenny is over the limit to have to move to FL, but I can say with some degree of certainty that he rides a unicycle like a 20 year old blind person! :shock: :razz:

1stSarge

Wow, now I’m scared… the ONE person I would turn to for generator help is complaining about not having power.

Sometime in the next couple of years a fuel cell might be in my future, as well as a solar set up, and a hydro setup…yeah I want to divorce my co-op like crazy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not gonna say that Kenny is over the limit to have to move to FL, but I can say with some degree of certainty that he rides a unicycle like a 20 year old blind person! :shock: :razz:
...a DRUNK 20yr old blind person!
But I rode it better than both of you, what does that make you guys? BTW, I had a blowout on the unibike a few months back. Needs new rubber, considering a 395!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the first time I have ever heard of a power company warning you ahead of time. At least over here they know how to switch power around so they can change things and not knock you off for four hours. In about the last 30 years the longest we have been without power was during hurricane Ike, just over 6 hours. (Yes, we got hit by Ike in Ohio.)

As for the unicycle, all I can say is Kenny put up and rode it in front of us at the Georgia Rally. It wasn't pretty, but he did it.

:)

rickf

I was out for three days last winter during the last storm in Feb. I did not have the 002 then, now I have two of them! Temps here have been low 20's at night, 20 below the average.

Rick

A

A/C Cages

And people make fun of me for grid tying my house and shop into the system? I have wind, solar, and generators setup.
During the summer months the Progress Energy pays me and during the winter months I pay them about $40 a month.
But you have to remember that my house is just a little over 8000 sqft and I have a 30,000 sqft shop along with a 1500 sqft garage full of toys.
The shops roof is nothing but solar panels.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, now I’m scared… the ONE person I would turn to for generator help is complaining about not having power.

Sometime in the next couple of years a fuel cell might be in my future, as well as a solar set up, and a hydro setup…yeah I want to divorce my co-op like crazy.

My co-op is getting better, but the power still goes out very frequently, and the rates are kinda high. But not having to put up with BS inspectors every time I want to do something electrical around the house is nice.

But I rode it better than both of you, what does that make you guys? BTW, I had a blowout on the unibike a few months back. Needs new rubber, considering a 395!

a 395 would look killer on the unicycle!!!!! Go for it. [thumbzup] [thumbzup]

This is the first time I have ever heard of a power company warning you ahead of time. At least over here they know how to switch power around so they can change things and not knock you off for four hours. In about the last 30 years the longest we have been without power was during hurricane Ike, just over 6 hours. (Yes, we got hit by Ike in Ohio.)

As for the unicycle, all I can say is Kenny put up and rode it in front of us at the Georgia Rally. It wasn't pretty, but he did it.

:)

If they are planning an extended outage like this, they try to warn us...it's nice to know if you need to buy Ice or anything to keep food stuffs cold (unless you have a couple of MEP-003a's lying around ;))

And yes Kenny did ride it, and yes...it wasn't pretty LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks