• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Assistance needed please

saturnstyl

I am interested in obtaining an M35A2. I think I may have found what I am looking for, but the decription is lacking.

It appears to be turbocharged, but I want to be certain. Is there any way to tell if it is a "whistler" or not?

To my novice eyes, it also looks like its had the multifuel bypass done. (yellow sticker on the filter?)

They don't mention rust or dents like in some of the other auctions in the same area, and they also don't mention that it doesn't run or anything. I know you should never assume anything, but I guess it would be driveable.

The mileage is a lot higher than what I'm used to seeing on these auctions. Is that necessarily a bad thing?

They don't mention air shift front axle or anything either. Would you be able to look at the dash and tell? What about year of production or manufacturer?

Finally, if you look at the drivers side, front of the hood on the side, there is a hole there. Does anyone know why? Should there be something there?

I know I seem hopeless, but I catch on quick! :wink: Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
you can not post links to auctions of trucks/equipment you are thinking of biding on.. that's called bid rigging and is a federal no no. Please remove the link. you can post pictures of the truck just not the link.

and if you search your questions you will find 100's of pages of good info on what you are asking.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site, Saturn.

One of the few rules we have here is no posting of current or upcoming auctions. Many members feel it "advertises" trucks they wish to bid on, thereby needlessly driving up the prices.

What you need to do is edit your post to read something like "This truck is coming up for auction somewhere" and save the pictures from the auction to your computer, then post them here and remove the link to GL. That way, it's just a truck and doesn't give away it's location to potential bidders.

The members will be able to answer all your questions with no problem.

Thanks!

Westech

CPL
yes there is a Turbo.

good bet the FDC is by passed

never "guess" its drivable till you drive it. If you cant preview have a plan to have it trailer/towed out.

Miles mean NOTHING. The spedo could have been swapped/replaced, or the truck rebuilt and the spedo not reset.

That truck is NON ari shift. its a Sprag T case.

the hole is for the heater air intake.

saturnstyl

Thanks! Sorry bout that noob mistake. I didn't know. I fixed it!

I think I've seen a louver or cover over that hole on other trucks. Should there be one or is it considered "correct" for there to just be a hole?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an interesting heater installation.
My M35 showed nearly 62k on it when I bought it. It was repowerd in 1987 and I have no idea how many miles on the engine. It runs like a champ!

coolnick73

With my cat-like reflexes, I was able to catch the link and look at the pictures.

My deuce has 56k on the mileage and over 1500 hours (but the hour gauge stopped working). What I have read is that mileage and hours on the gauges are crap shoot because it was too easy to swap them or put in a new one all together. You can tell that one of them isn't telling the truth as the truck would have had to been driven at around 85mph it's entire life ;-).

The hole on the side is for the air inlet for a different heater one that starts where the hole is. If there is no hole it is usually blanked out with a piece of steel. I am not sure about the different kind of heater this one has.

If you are going to be selective on turbo type and manufacturer and other things you can preview or buy private party, I did the latter and am happy with it. What ever you decide good luck and have fun.

roscoe

Maybee I missed it, but it appears that the front air shift lever is missing. It has a turbo, but I'm not skilled enough to tell which one. I would consider looking at it in person. I found on the 3 that I bought, sight unseen, that there are many things you can't see in the photos.

derby

I agree on the sprag, although the switch could be missing. is that a m151 style heater? I would go look at it,and others, don't be set in stone on one truck or you will most likley pay more as there are others eyeing it up also. good luck

Chief_919

Assuming your the same guy who uses that username on Arfcom, there is a real nice M35A2 on Craiglist in Winston for $3000. A bit higher than GL, but already titled in NC, you can test drive it and know it runs, and no GL headache. In my book it is likely worth the extra $$$, especially on your first truck, to buy a known item already in private hands.

That truck you linked too looked like it had some issues, and as mentioned the missing front shackles can often mean it was towed in.

M35A2 2 1/2 ton

Chief_919

I am interested in obtaining an M35A2. I think I may have found what I am looking for, but the decription is lacking.

It appears to be turbocharged, but I want to be certain. Is there any way to tell if it is a "whistler" or not?

To my novice eyes, it also looks like its had the multifuel bypass done. (yellow sticker on the filter?)

They don't mention rust or dents like in some of the other auctions in the same area, and they also don't mention that it doesn't run or anything. I know you should never assume anything, but I guess it would be driveable.

The mileage is a lot higher than what I'm used to seeing on these auctions. Is that necessarily a bad thing?

They don't mention air shift front axle or anything either. Would you be able to look at the dash and tell? What about year of production or manufacturer?

Finally, if you look at the drivers side, front of the hood on the side, there is a hole there. Does anyone know why? Should there be something there?

I know I seem hopeless, but I catch on quick! :wink: Thanks.
Assuming your the same guy who uses that username on Arfcom, there is a real nice M35A2 on Craiglist in Winston for $3000. A bit higher than GL, but already titled in NC, you can test drive it and know it runs, and no GL headaches. In my book it is likely worth the extra $$$, especially on your first truck, to buy a known item already in private hands.

That truck you linked too looked like it had some issues, and as mentioned the missing front shackles can often mean it was towed in.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/1361423765.html

dobyg75

I to am looking for a truck and in my travels i came across this truck and if i remember it has a loose fuel line and is inop i have no idea why it's loose or if its repairable happy searching

nap159

I picked up two m35a2's. you will love it when you get it. The biggest problem i've had is no power steering. which is really not a problem until you try to turn when trying to shift and make it through an intersection!