• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Assistance Please! MEP-802a starts, runs perfectly, and dies 20-30 seconds later..

Innovator

I just bought a 802 that has been completely rebuilt, new engine and all accessories..RESET, in 2010.It has 27 hours on it. Looks new.. As soon as I got it, I filled the fluids, and it fired right up, but it died in under a minute of running.It ran smooth and perfectly for that time. I can get it to start again, but sometimes it runs on only one cylinder, coughs and stalls.. Never for more than 30 seconds or less.. Occasionally, it will start and run perfectly fine, but it duplicates the same malfunction. Definitely sounds like its running out of fuel..

I changed the fuel filter, and the secondary. Both fuel pumps are new..yet they don't seem to put out much..Tank is clean.. I even tried the auxiliary line, and no dice.. Same issue.. No lights fault lights Same problem in Battle mode. The fuel filter doesn't seem to be full when I loosen the drain on the bottom.. Not much fuel seems to come out of either of the the transfer pumps..Odd..

The man I bought it from swears it was perfect and running fine when he shipped it..Of course..I have no reason to doubt him.. Yet, it doesn't run I'm at a loss.. .. I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks, Rick

jamawieb

It really sounds like you have air in the fuel lines. If you download the tm and look for priming fuel system, it will show you how. The very first time I changed the fuel filters in one, I had similar problems. After I read the TM and I bleed the air out, no more problems.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed title for you. Help as the first word in the title usually indicates a road emergency on the site.

Thank you

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long have you let it go in the PRIME/RUN switch position before you started it?

Can you hear the fuel pump run? Does it sound even or does the sound change a lot? Can you shoot a video of the fuel pump so we can hear how it sounds?

It does sound like air or it could be a problem with the check valve at the end of the fuel line where the return line attaches. To check that without cutting the return line you'll need to take the end cover off that is over the fuel filler. When you take that cover off you'll see where the return line connects to the top of the tank. Unscrew it from the fitting and put it into a container. With the master switch in PRIME/RUN you should get a steady stream of fuel there. If you don't there is a problem somewhere upstream.

Innovator

I ran the pumps for a while. I can here fuel gurgling back into the tank.. Pump seems under load, yet not much fuel comes out from either pump.. Are you referring to the small filter cover with the screw in the bottom,? I had the little filter off, and just a few drops came out, when I turned it to prime. The main filter I changed.. The new one didn't seem like it was filling up.

Edit. I took off the cover the side by the tank.. The auxiliary pump has fuel coming out when I cracked open the outlet, when I ran the auxiliary line into a bucket of fuel. The main pump kind of spits fuel out.. I tried a spare pump, same deal....

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pump inside the right door (as facing from the fuel filler) is the main fuel pump. The AUX pump is under the cover on the end that goes over the fuel filler for the tank. That AUX pump doesn't send fuel to the engine. It only draws fuel from the port next to the fuel fill and sends it to the tank. Unless you have an AUX fuel hose connected don't run the unit in AUX position on the main switch.

In the fuel system you have 2 filters. A larger one that is mounted to the frame of the generator and a small one that is mounted to the side of the engine. It sounds like you have only changed one. Can you open the small one and look at it?

Snap a few photos of the things you are checking. That can be helpful to know what to recommend.

Innovator

Yes understood. Thank you Chris. I have the side panel off, exposing the tank, and I had the little filter off.. With it on prime, no fuel, other than a free drips comes out of the little filter housing.

Last edited:

Innovator

I'm not at the location where the unit is , but I will be in a bit. I took the cover off the small filter element. The filter and oring came out with it. Only a few drops of fuel came out, with the switch on main prime..

Innovator

I'm not at the location where the unit is , but I will be in a bit. I took the cover off the small filter element. The filter and oring came out with it. Only a few drops of fuel came out, with the switch on main prime..

Rebel635

Had a simular issue. Engine would just chug along, couldnt get to set rpm. New filters, cracked and bled fuel lines, no dice. Replaced fuel pump from another unit, same thing. Finally blew compressed air through all fuel lines. Fuel line from tank to pump was partially clogged. Enough to prime the system and let me bleed the lines and think im ok, not enougg to actually run the genny. After blowing out the line she fired right up and kept running for 2 hour load bank test

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks