• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF in M35A3 CAT 3116

Fspallino

Didn't know there was a cat a3 engine that wasn't multifeul . Well getting back to the multifeul cat 3116, it's designed to run off WMO or any other fuel that'll burn. Hence the name. I dump WMO , Trans fluid and diesel in the 50 gal tank. Saves $200 on a fill up at Hess

markmontana

Didn't know there was a cat a3 engine that wasn't multifeul . Well getting back to the multifeul cat 3116, it's designed to run off WMO or any other fuel that'll burn. Hence the name. I dump WMO , Trans fluid and diesel in the 50 gal tank. Saves $200 on a fill up at Hess
It's NOT a multifuel CAT 3116. It's a diesel CAT 3116. Google it for more info :shock:

markmontana

Sure! Go dump stuff in there and come back and report. :-?

Did you read the TM regarding the A3 fuel requirements? That might be your next step.

I really don't care what you put in it. Just making sure the next guy that reads this has good info.

Fspallino

It's designed that way for a reason. Otherwise they wouldn't of called it a multifeul motor . Look it up on wiki it'll inform you. I've run WMO thru it for miles without any problems. Just burns a little dirty

markmontana

That's wonderful news! My Ford F450 is a multifuel. :beer:

You can run waste oil in a diesel motor, you can even add ATF, 2 stroke, Cetane additives. Doesn't make them MULTIFUEL.

Do you add gasoline to your 3116? If so- you have a true multifuel CAT.

From your TM:

Table 1-2. Permissible Fuels.
FUEL TEMPERATURE LIMITS
Primary Fuels
Diesel fuel, AA-52557, grade DF-2 (NATO code no. F-54)
Diesel fuel, AA-52557, grade DF-A (NATO code no. F-54)
Turbine fuel, aviation, kerosene type, MIL-DTL-83133, grade JP-8
(NATO code no. F-34)
Alternate I Fuels
Turbine fuel, MIL-DTL-5624, grade JP-5 (NATO code no. F-44)
Diesel fuel, MIL-F-16884 (NATO code no. F-75 or F-76)
Do not use below +32°F (0°C) All temperatures
Do not use below -58°F (-50°C)
Do not use below -51°F (-46°C) Do not use below +15°F (-9°C)

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was talking to AcCages about this yesterday, I am told only a mix of 5 gallons of ATF in a 50 gallon tank is all the FDC can handle. I pumped 10 gallons of ATF in my A3 a few weeks ago and did not notice any difference at all. The CAT 3116 started right up and ran around town w/o any issues. From now on I will stick to only 5 per full tank. :driver:

jwaller

It's designed that way for a reason. Otherwise they wouldn't of called it a multifeul motor . Look it up on wiki it'll inform you. I've run WMO thru it for miles without any problems. Just burns a little dirty
If your dash has a multifuel dataplate on it then it's wrong. Some bonehead put it there by mistake. I've seen dozen of A3's and I've never seen one with a multifuel plate.

The Cat 3116 is not multifuel. It is a diesel fuel engine only

Now, can it run on something other than diesel, sure it can but it's not designed for it.

Fspallino

Oh really ,that's why my buddy that works on the a3's on base says its multi feul , and caterpillar and HO Penn mechanics say the same thing. Look it up on google and learn something

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh really ,that's why my buddy that works on the a3's on base says its multi feul , and caterpillar and HO Penn mechanics say the same thing. Look it up on google and learn something
Lets see a pic of this engine.
You have a choice in a deuce depending on year gas , multi fuel or diesel.
So if you have a "cat3116 multifuel" it's worth it's weight in gold! also what the repair bill is gonna be.
and as far as "Look it up on google and learn something" It is advise you should follow.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Fspallino;1245405[COLOR=white said:
]Oh really ,that's why my buddy that works on the a3's on base says its multi feul[/COLOR] , and caterpillar and HO Penn mechanics say the same thing. Look it up on google and learn something

CAT is and always has Been a STRAIGHT DEISEL burning motor, the only thing you want to run besides straight diesel is 2 stroke oil or other additives to help lube the IP and valves , ATF has friction modifiers that make the clutches grab better, that is the LAST thing you would want to run though the IP, I would also think about USED MOTOR OIL, because no matter how much you filter, you CAN NOT get the ACIDS out and there is no way you can convince me the ACIDS are good for the ip.

Some EARLY cat motors were designed to run on gas as well as other petroleum products BUT NOT a combination.

The MULTI-FULE was NOT designed to run on about anything that burns, but was designed in WW2 by the GERMANS to run on diesel BUT be able to run on other fuels if needed, the multi's used in the RUSSIAN and U.S. vehicles are a DIRECT descendant of the WW2 multi (same design), again DESIGNED to operate on straight diesel with the capability of running BATTLE FIELD COLLECTED FUEL, even straight gas which is VERY DRY and will tend to burn the Ip and valves up, The thought was "get the truck and you out of the situation, the motor can always be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnonymousOne

I think the confusion here is that the M35a3 / 3116 is an alternate fuel engine... it uses more than just standard fuel so lets go easy on the name calling :)

Here is my data plate from my A3 ... also here is the TM for this data plate confirming it belongs in the truck.

Figure 156. Instrument Panel Data Plates

DF-1 = Diesel Fuel lvl 1
DF-2 = Diesel fuel lvl 2
DF-A = Winterized Diesel
VV-F-800 = Diesel fuel
MIL-T-83133 = JP-8 Turbine Fuel / Kerosene
MIL-F-16884 = Naval Diesel (higher flash point - best I can understand from google)
MIL-T-5624 = JP-5 Turbine Fuel

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think the confusion here is that the M35a3 / 3116 is an alternate fuel engine... it uses more than just standard fuel so lets go easy on the name calling :)

Here is my data plate from my A3 ... also here is the TM for this data plate confirming it belongs in the truck.

Figure 156. Instrument Panel Data Plates

DF-1 = Diesel Fuel lvl 1
DF-2 = Diesel fuel lvl 2
DF-A = Winterized Diesel
VV-F-800 = Diesel fuel
MIL-T-83133 = JP-8 Turbine Fuel / Kerosene
MIL-F-16884 = Naval Diesel (higher flash point - best I can understand from google)
MIL-T-5624 = JP-5 Turbine Fuel
DF-1 = Diesel Fuel lvl 1---- number 2 fuel oil
DF-2 = Diesel fuel lvl 2-----number 2 fuel oil +
DF-A = Winterized Diesel--number 2 fuel oil with anti gel
VV-F-800 = Diesel fuel ----number 2 fuel oil ?????
MIL-T-83133 = JP-8 Turbine Fuel / Kerosene---- number 1 fuel oil
MIL-F-16884 = Naval Diese -a more refined number 1 fuel oil (higher flash point, best I can understand from google)
MIL-T-5624 = JP-5 Turbine Fuel, would guess a type of number 1 fuel oil

STILL a DIESEL fuel or a type of DIESEL fuel motor, NOT a MULTI fuel motor, NOT designed to run on ANYTHING but a form of diesel, AGAIN NOT alternate fuel as a MULTI can burn in the time of need.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
73M819, I agree with your findings. No sand in your shoes..!

EDIT: ATF does keep your injectors clean from my experience.

Last edited:
Most diesel engines will run on any fuel that will combust under compression. The engine just needs enough compression to create combustion in the particular fuel. BUT, that doesn't mean that the CAT 3116 diesel engine was designed to run anything that can combust. Could you? Sure. Should you? Probably not. The true multi fuel engines have higher compression ratios than most diesel engines and that is how they are able to obtain combustion of different fuels. However, as Ron alluded to, even those engines weren't intended to run 100% alternative fuels 100% of the time.

Please let us all know what you find in your google search. Just remember, everything on the internet is 100% accurate and true.:3dAngus:

DEMON

Wow that was an amusing read.

All of the ALTERNATE fuels listed on that A3 data plate, are versions of diesel fuel oil.

In no way, shape or form, is the injection system on a Cat 3116 designed to be multifuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks