• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auction date changes, MK48 and Hemtt recall

Csm Davis

There is actually another reason stuff gets diverted to scrap, and it is borderline fraud.

I can't say for sure if it is still going on, but for a long time as a way to encourage "recycling" to make the government more eco friendly base commanders were told that any funds that came back from recycling would be kept on post and could eb sued at the commanders discretion for Morale, Welfare and Recreation projects. Parks, ball fields, clubs, anything like that.

As a result posts quickly began"recycling" anything with any metal content. We have all seen the piles of aluminum tent frames sold as scrap with mutilation required. No legitimate reason for that, but diverting to "recycling" means the funds go other places. So even though the sale price was lower the funds stayed with the post instead of going to the US Treasury.

The Navy is the worst at times. I have seen term contracts bid for "scrap" that included clothing, field gear, etc all perfectly serviceable. But diverted from the normal auction process to "recycling" to keep the money in that base commanders control even though it ended up sold for far less.

It is a pretty blatant abuse of the system. It may still be happening today, I suspect it is, only because nobody with enough pull has stepped in.
Yes it still works that way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
This is more for Jwade but, does anyone know the speculation if a private party were to auction a hemtt off of ironplanet. Ive been seeing more custom hmmwv's and M939 trucks on there lately with a pretty high starting bid.
We can still sell privately held HEMTT's, sorry for the late response was working the miramar air show most of last week.

04mustang

I was at southern metals last week in Wilmington Nc. They are scrapping these as hard as they can go. But selling some parts in the process. They told me that the denim codes were changed in them and they can no longer be sold as complete units.
The cab must be crushed

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There a hundreds of fire departments all over the US that would kill to have a 2008 tanker. What is wrong with the DLA screening process???

"There a hundreds of fire departments all over the US that would kill to have a 2008 tanker. What is wrong with the DLA screening process???"Agreed

NEIOWA

There a hundreds of fire departments all over the US that would kill to have a 2008 tanker. What is wrong with the DLA screening process???
Tank on my FD 6x6 F900 (Navy surplus) is a 2500gal HEMMT tank. Great low profile SS tank. This winter is moving to a 2008 M916A3 (5000mi) that I picked up at Ft McCoy on Wed. What stupid? Why is Obuma getting rid of 8yr old/new M916A3?

iBOX

OK, so I've read this entire thread and still don't know what the heck is going on... I just found a mk48 with two rear units for sale and would really like to purchase them. Should I?

jjb

OK, so I've read this entire thread and still don't know what the heck is going on... I just found a mk48 with two rear units for sale and would really like to purchase them. Should I?
Private sale I assume? If so purchase away.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks