• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aussie goat needs new shoes

I know there was a bloke in qld that was having moulds made to produce 10.50r18s as a last resort.
I could live with 10.5's, any idea what sort of tread he was planning?

The China option is tantalising, but even without shipping it's being difficult, even thought of trying to import as a commercial deal in seatainer quantity. Be ****ed if I'd know where to start though... Or store them, assuming an adequate local market exists.

Footwear options update...

Mob up in Kuranda have been running a rainforest DUKW tour for ever, rang them to see where they source their rubber from and got told they had changed the rim size to a commercially available unit... recent discussion with Adelaide Wheel Works suggests this is not a "hard" option and there seems to be some reasonable tread patterns in the 10R20 range (although 16 ply equivalent!), or i notice Cooper have released an STT Pro in 40x13.5R17 with a "C" load rating (6 ply) which may be doable with a more modified rim required.

Going to pop a rim and get on the phone with tape measure and camera with them when i'm back in town to work out a plan of attack.

Spock

combat32

It is hard heavy work to mount them yourself, but it is doable, i have 2 tires coming soon just gonna do it myself cause i am too cheap to pay someone.

combat32

Good call, would like to see some pictures of your new tires, i will probably be forced to buy one or two new ones eventually. These are the dukw tires i presume.

Aussiecowboy

I'll post pictures when I get them fitted, they are the dukw tyres. I looked at every option I could find but couldn't find anything that would work. Mickey Thompson used to make a 40x12.5r18 but they are it of production now.

Aussiecowboy

Well I have a freshly shod goat. We decided to go tubeless but tyre place couldn't couldn't get the beads to expand out on to the rim, ratchet straps and bead blaster didn't help. In the end I had to collect the unmounted tyres and do it myself with aerostart and a gas torch, a bit of messing around but got there in the end. They look pretty good, they balloon a bit in the sidewalls at the 25lb of pressure I have in them at the moment, but I want to see how it rides before I play with the pressures. I still would have preferred a more conventional mud terrain pattern but as we all know that's not a viable option.

Attachments

Aussiecowboy

First impressions are good on the new tyres, at 25lbs the ride is no worse than before, new supple 12 ply tyres about the same as hard old 6 ply I think. Found some mud and water to test them out, huge traction digging forwards but like all NDT tyres they slide sideways fairly easily.

combat32

They might do some better but from memory it don't make a huge difference, its about the only option though unless you want to spend a go zillion dollars on custom rims.

I'll post pictures when I get them fitted, they are the dukw tyres. I looked at every option I could find but couldn't find anything that would work. Mickey Thompson used to make a 40x12.5r18 but they are it of production now.
Yokohama Geolandar MT plus were a 40x13.5R18 from memory, but also out of production.

Seems to be a number of manufacturers running 40 on a 17" rim, but doesn't help us i suspect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks