• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Australia: Importing US MV's

Recy Mech

Just thought I'd commence a bit of a research tool for anyone in Oz who's thinking about importing a US military vehicle into Australia.

The journey that I'm undertaking is dealing with a M35A2, so all information regarding that type of vehicle will be posted here, although, you can put any vehicle in that catergory if your perchant is something different.

I'd like to pay tribute to callsign 'downunder' who I will quote, as he has undertaken much of the 'leg' work and should not go un-noticed. Downunder - job well done mate. [thumbzup]

However it is somewhat different now as it can be done. Based on my Research, people i have spoken to on SS, Gov Depts, Customs, AQIS, this is my Plan as follows.

Two ways of shipping a Truck to AUS 1. Roll on Roll off 2. Partly dismantle the Truck to fit into a 40"Foot High Cube container. Two M818's were shipped to NSW in Containers for the new Mad Max Movie about a year ago. Aparantley the movie is being made in sth Africa all prop vehicles got exported there, crazy!

Apply for an Import Approval from The Department of Infrastructure & Transport prior to Purchasing a Vehicle.

Another Certificate to get is one from the ADF DECO Defence Export Control Office. Apply For International Import Certificate as it a Military Vehicle. Customs got all uptight as soon as i mentioned Importing Military Vehicle to them. Then the Department of Infrastructure said i dont need it as im not importing a Tracked Vehicle as in a Abrams Tank LoL but just have the form incase! for gods sake its a De Commissioned Army Truck!

Any Vehicle dated pre 1989 Imported to Australia falls into the pre 89 scheme meaning you do not have to Pay Import Duty as the Truck is older than 30 years. pretty cool huh? You only need to Pay GST, Customs, AQIS Quarrantine & Port Fees.

Option 1. Buy from the East US. I am going to buy a Truck From Dave Newman at Eastern Surplus in Philadelphia, the Truck is going to be Serviced, Cleaned & Re Painted inside and out. may even put new tyres on too. I may make a Holiday of it and go up there for a couple of weeks to purchase a Truck and help work on it etc. or if a member from SS Forum can inspect a Vehicle for me and yes they will get paid too. always best to look and try before you buy.....!

It will then be Transported by Truck to a SeaPort in Baltimore which is approx 2hrs Drive from Philia. If i go there i'll probably drive it myself to Balti. Then chuck it on a Ship Roll on Roll off to Melbourne.

Option 2. Buy from the West Coast US. May buy a truck from 100dollarman. West coast Export Roll on Roll off may be cheaper than the East! as the ships got go through Panama. West is the Pacific Ocean straight to Aus.

My plans here in Melbourne is to Get the Truck on Club Plates with the VMVC Victorian Military Vehicle Corps an awesome club i must say! Shannons said they will give me Comprehensive Insurance on the Truck. Vic Roads also said no problems the Vehicle is left hand drive and older than 25 years so no RHD Conversion required.

My main Concern is AQIS Customs Quarrantine as i have been told if your unlucky will break your #$$^LLS if they find any contamination, dirt, bugs, foreign contaminants etc. blah blah! not trying to scare you but just be aware.
As is the preferred method, I reckon most of us from oz if we are going to outlay a shedload of beer tickets on a truck then we might as well make a holiday of it.....well that's my intention plus it gets the missus on-side....err remember to take her fella's. So, with that in mind I'll add whatever touristy bits that you/we may need to know. Plus I trust our American mates will help us out as required on info.

Here's a couple of Government Departments you may want to familirise yourselves with:

importing a motor vehicle
Importing Vehicles to Australia - General Information
Importing Motor Vehicles - Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

Victorian State 'stuff'

Imported vehicle registration : VicRoads

Like any living breathing document please feel free to update, correct, add, as required. It will only make it smoother for the next guy/gal, and who knows, there may be a few more M35's on Australian soil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recy Mech

A email reply from Clinton Chitwood of C&C Equipment has advised me currently only selling to the US. Although, I believe he might just need further assurrance that all the necessary paperwork and vehicle specifications required by Australian authorities are in order, and the vehicle is compliant for import.

Recy Mech

Received a email from Dave dave@easternsurplus.net from M35 For Sale. Deuces for Sale Turbo Diesel, Army Trucks, Logging, Heavy Trucks, Off-Road Big Trucks, Four Wheel Drive, Parts, Truck Parts, M35 parts, M35A2 parts, Deuce and a half parts, Reo parts, 5 ton parts, M900 parts, military vehicles for sale, . As follows:

We are familiar with the strict requirements for shipping vehicles to Australia, and understand the necessity to clean and paint all vehicles prior to shipment

Basic truck will be a good running truck with good title, all lights, signals, wipers and horn in operating condition. Good fluids, belts, hoses and filters throughout. Brake System bled with silicone fluid and all shoes adjusted. Any leaking wheel cylinders or wheel seals to be replaced. Parking brake shoes and cable adjusted. 9.00 X 20 tires 75% or better and a good mounted spare tire, good cab soft top, good glass, batteries load tested and properly tied down. All wheel drive and transmission tested, engine tested, ready to use. Priced $6500.00 basic up to $9000.00. Additional options that can be priced include front mounted electric or PTO driven winches, Full hydraulic power steering conversion kits, front lock out hubs, super single tires on our custom super single rims-ranging 46 inches up to 53 inches in over all tire height. Cab hard tops, cab heat, spin on filter kit conversions for primary and secondary fuel and engine oil. Paint service and bed customization service also available upon request.

Options are as follows:
1- Bob shortening basic cost for removal of tandem axle set and replace with a single axle over a set of leaf springs $3500.00.

2- Would include the axle removal described in Option 1 and welding in a single cross member the rear of the frame of the truck with no air lines no pintle hook and no
electric connections for an additional $500.00 or we can return the rear of the frame to look original with the pintle hook, cross member, electrics, air connection for
trailer for an additional $ 1000.00 .

3- Bed options include the use of an M105 step side trailer bed 9 ½ foot long which would require the manufacture of a custom drive shaft for a total additional cost of $1500.00 (includes Bed/Mounting/Driveshaft).

4- The second bed option would be sectioning of a standard cargo bed to your specific desired length. Cost of $1500.00 (includes Bed/Sectioning/Mounting).

Single tire options: Ranging in size from, 46 inch, 50 inch and 53 inch tall single radial tires with our custom rims cost $895.00 per tire mounted on the rim
The prices quoted would only be for March 2012, any later and I reckon you'd have to enquire as to the current prices.

Looks promising. Might be a road trip from Philidelphia to Portland Oregon, then to San Francisco to the Ro-Ro. :driver:[thumbzup]

Recy Mech

Received an email from Tripp Jones of Memphis Equipment tjones@memphisequipment.com

We can supply the M series 2 ½ ton trucks in our reconditioned or remanufactured categories. These are trucks that were originally built in the late 60’s and early 70’s.

Our reconditioned model will be a truck direct from government storage which will be brought into our shop to be inspected, cranked, fully serviced and mechanically upgraded where needed. Prices will start at $12,500.00.

Our remanufactured models are trucks that are stripped down to a naked frame and reassembled with new and rebuilt components to offer a truck in “like new” condition. Prices start at $45,000.00.

Our trucks are sold with clear title work and we do ship internationally.
Well, like all things, everything is relative. So now it's just a case of saving up enough beer tickets and arranging for all the necessary paperwork/purchasing 'stuff'.

No doubt it is not that difficult to import into Australia the Deuce, will just take some planning. Another consideration would be to obtain the services of an agent, or an advisor to oversee the initial purchase ie 'Caveat Emptor', this forum would be the best place to put an advertisment for someone who would be a font of knowledge regarding the Deuce.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I put a 1982 Corvette the last year they made the stingray body style, and a Bonneville SSE-I in a container in Port Long Beach back in 95 since I was going to Sydney for 6 months I wanted my own ride and to auction the Vet. The freight ship took 3 months to get to the port. The duty Tax was 3 times the cars original cost so I shipped mine in under a ATA Carnet Form.

ATA Carnet form says I will ship these cars in and will take them home when I leave. If I do not take them home with me there is a $500.00 fine.

I ended up auctioning the Vet for $89,000 no bullchit and the SSE went for $52,000. They were both LHD. The new owners had by law 1 year to convert to RHD. Also of point. Automobile parts are not taxed or duty fees. You can ship a car or truck in to Australia as parts with no duty taxes or fees. Thats the ticket if you want to get a car shipped down under. Thats all I know about the subject since I shipped 2 cars there. Also back then the cost of petrol was $1.90 a liter. Most of the cars are mini's for the fuel economy. A MV in Australia would eat up your paycheck in fuel costs alone.

I did enjoy Bondi Beach, Kings Cross, Mona Vail, Sydney Opra House, The Royal Gardens, Bungi Jumping off the Harbor Bridge and further north diving the Great barrier Reef. Also met a hotty named jade originally from Singapore. For an Asian chick she was exceptional. I would guess 38x22x32. I kept the bra for a souvenir. Still have it somewhere,:drool: lol.

G-Day mate..!

Last edited:

raeme

Dude I bought a lot of parts of Dave in Philly and when it came to import the amount of paper work and B.S. Dave and I had go through was unbelieveable. Getting it on the boat was different, then when it got to Aus. then things really started, 1. you have to have an accerdited import agent to go through, not good,2 the delivery at the port,YOU have to find the quarintine inspector and he is on site for 2 hours at each terminal, then he, only him can do the inspection and won't work over the 2 hour limit. The seller has declarations to sign that it is spotless, then the check begins you have to know each piece he looks at is clean,,no dust or anything, you have to open everytning, also you have to fill out forms to the U.S. Congerss that the item will not be used as a threat or act of war against the US. and it's Allies. Take a couple of grand with you to the pick up, there will be extra duties you have to pay. Then the fun begins letting the state you will have it garaged in regester it on file. GOOD LUCK.
raeme.:confused::shock:

morphias

Hi all,

I stumbled across this thread and have signed up as I have just started doing my own research on bringing an M35 in Australia because I can't find any for sale here.

A bloke I work with's father is a registered import agent and bring all sorts of cars, boats, trucks, etc, etc, in from Europe, UK and USA.

I just spoke to them about bring in an M35 and based on the cubic meterage, it will be ~$8,000 and will take 45-60 days to get here.

There will be about $2K in port and handling fees and GST on the purchase price. If customs determine the vehicle is not clean enough and needs a washdown, they do it and charge by the hour. They said this should be more than a couple of hundred dollars.

From there, registration should be pretty simple. It is just a 6x6 truck with a GVM under 10 tons. The brakes are hydraulic, not air operated. No requirement for RHD conversion due to the age.

In QLD you would need a HR license to drive it because MR only covers 2 axles. :(

I think you would be able to get a decent rig landed and on the road on a club permit for under $25K.

Ben.

zout

My friends are now moved back to down under in Nowra - let me know if anyone close - they would be excited to have someone knock on their door making it a small world indeed.

Ddmmechanix

Very helpful info thanks to all in thread, I should be ready to import 2015, if you go with a pre-July 1971 build, the only thing needed for rego in NSW, is swap the headlamps (to allow for LH dip) and fit amber indicators. With a build date prior to July 1971 there was minimal ADR's applying to heavy vehicles, registration is simple once landed in Aus. (I am also an AUVIS inspector for the RMS). Post 1971 needs mod such as safety glass etc. I will be looking to buy from Dave in Philli, he seems to have a lot of respect out there. My ideal unit will be as I said above a M35a2 Cargo with winch 46 super singles with hard top and respray and import prep, filter upgrades (and if funds allow a canvas and bow kit). Does anyone know of a lock kit for the doors? (cheaper insurance if fitted). Thanks again to all

Carlo

Dude I bought a lot of parts of Dave in Philly and when it came to import the amount of paper work and B.S. Dave and I had go through was unbelieveable. Getting it on the boat was different, then when it got to Aus. then things really started, 1. you have to have an accerdited import agent to go through, not good,2 the delivery at the port,YOU have to find the quarintine inspector and he is on site for 2 hours at each terminal, then he, only him can do the inspection and won't work over the 2 hour limit. The seller has declarations to sign that it is spotless, then the check begins you have to know each piece he looks at is clean,,no dust or anything, you have to open everytning, also you have to fill out forms to the U.S. Congerss that the item will not be used as a threat or act of war against the US. and it's Allies. Take a couple of grand with you to the pick up, there will be extra duties you have to pay. Then the fun begins letting the state you will have it garaged in regester it on file. GOOD LUCK.
raeme.:confused::shock:
WOW!!! After reading this I feel lucky with my customs.

morphias

Very helpful info thanks to all in thread, I should be ready to import 2015, if you go with a pre-July 1971 build, the only thing needed for rego in NSW, is swap the headlamps (to allow for LH dip) and fit amber indicators. With a build date prior to July 1971 there was minimal ADR's applying to heavy vehicles, registration is simple once landed in Aus. (I am also an AUVIS inspector for the RMS). Post 1971 needs mod such as safety glass etc. I will be looking to buy from Dave in Philli, he seems to have a lot of respect out there. My ideal unit will be as I said above a M35a2 Cargo with winch 46 super singles with hard top and respray and import prep, filter upgrades (and if funds allow a canvas and bow kit). Does anyone know of a lock kit for the doors? (cheaper insurance if fitted). Thanks again to all
Do you have a HR license to be able to drive it?

Keep us updated when you start going through the motions - would be very interested.

Ben.

Colin Pettman

Hi All
This is all new to me .
Some of you guys might be interested , I have an old M543 . Its in shabby condition now so maybe only good for parts.
I am in Tassie and I don't know of any other M543 here.
If I can help anybody with parts to fix there own truck let me know.
Cheers

Last edited:

Ddmmechanix

I contemplated buying an old m35 here in NSW but too much money for what it was, engine was in pieces and metalwork was almost rusted away. So I decided to go for the A2 import option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks