• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Automatic only Crankshaft Journal

86M10086.2L

A few decent civilian parts trucks are about to become available to me and I want to do a NP465/np208 or A883/np208 swap in my M1008. However I keep hearing that during this period some trucks came from GM with automatic only crankshafts. To do a manual swap on one of those would require a new crank which I'm not going atempt. My question though, before I spend the better part of the day tearing my truck apart to see what I have. Have any of you who have pulled engines or transmission on these truck ever seen one with a automatic only crank? I can't imagine that there would be. Especially since there were so many civilian manual transmission trucks. Or other manual tansmission aplications for the 6.2L engine. It just doesn't make sense to me to see GM making two cranks for this application. I'm hoping to be able to remove the dust cover and unbolt the converter and sneek a peek at what should be a hole for the pilot bearing. Otherwise I have to take the transfercase and everything else off. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

86M10086.2L

Well, I'm still gonna check to see for sure before I financially commit to another truck and the swap. But I still for the life of me can't imagine these truck not being machined for a pilot bearing.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned many civi and military 6.2's and one 6.5. They all have had the bore for a pilot bushing/bearing. There has also been mention of a cast crank in these engines. Mine have all been fordged. Even my first 82 half ton 6.2 that was a ''C" with a 700R4 behind it.
I just installed a 6.2 from a M1010 amby into my 82 GMC with a 465 and a 205. Two weeks ago. I tapped the bushing in with no problems.

tm america

i think the chevys that have auto only cranks were older like 60-70s i thinkm they stopped doing that in the mid 70s i'm pretty sure youre good on that issue since all the 6.2s i have seen have a deep pilot