• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Autopsy of Failed Fuel Level Sensor on MEP003A

Chainbreaker

I (strongly) suspect that the heat will damage the reed switch if you try to solder it. The wires are normally welded which transmits little heat to the part.
Very true, heat can damage most any component if too much is applied; however bare lead reed switches are cheap to replace. If the leads coming out are long enough there are ways to heat sink the leads near the component while focusing just enough heat on the extremity of the lead being soldered. To heatsink I sometimes use bare alligator clips and/or copper wire coiled tightly around a portion of the lead with ends sticking out into air (sometimes a tiny dab of thermal paste helps insure better heat transfer). The key to silver soldering is using the right flux and prepping the metal to not have any contaminants (finger oils, etc) as well as using a good quality micro torch. Not much to lose by trying unless one happens to own a capacitance spot welder or knows someone that has one as that would certainly be a better method of reattachment.

Although, an attempted repair may be moot if he does manage to source an affordable level switch assembly replacement.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: GEMS, the manufacturer, got back to me and said that they were out of stock but would make one for me. They didn't give me a price, but I declined. Delks finally got back to me and I bought a used sensor for $95.00. The leads out of the reed switch are only about 1/4 inch long and about 14 AWG. There is no way to weld them without heating the internals, unless a spot welder is used. Hopefully the unit from Delks is functional.

Chainbreaker

FYI - If anyone is still in need of the auxiliary float switch assembly there are a few NOS ones " New MEP-002A & MEP-003A Fuel Float Switch. PN: 415-0308 " that appeared on an auction site today. I don't want to run afoul of the rules so I won't post a link (you will have to do your own research to locate). Just wanted to tip fellow SS members that these are available but in limited qty. Price seems reasonable so I picked one up to add to my spares inventory :grin:

Last edited:

rustystud

FYI - If anyone is still in need of the auxiliary float switch assembly there are a few NOS ones " New MEP-002A MEP-003A Fuel Float Switch. PN:0415-0308 " that appeared on an auction site today. I don't want to run afoul of the rules so I won't post a link (you will have to do your own research to locate). Just wanted to tip fellow SS members that these are available but in limited qty. Price seems reasonable so I picked one up to add to my spares inventory :grin:
Thank you "chainbreaker" , I just bought one myself from a "auction" site. Looks like the last one too.