• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AWD and Slip

Third From Texas

When / if I add a winch, I'll likely carry a marine plow anchor.

They are basically the best for all environments (sand, mud, rock) and have the best holding power and weight rating.

They aren't cheap, though.

I had a surprisingly small one I kept in my old Chevy's recovery kit and used it often on the beach and in the hill country a few times (where there's sandstone rock every other inch).

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's serious contender, but it doesn't list a weight rating. But it's basically the same design as a marine plow anchor.

IMO, the one-piece solutions are the only ones that these trucks won't disassemble.

View attachment 912163
Ive been thinking about this anchor and how and where would i put this some where on the truck that wouldnt be in the way the 99,9 percent of the time i didnt need it ! I think ive come up with something that might stow easier and have more anchor material for our heavier trucks to pull against with just a little light fab work ! https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...wjZuoKMpfmCAxURkokEHR7PC5AQvhd6BQgBEI4B&nis=8 Use a few of these farming disc/plow wheels which you could might find for free from local farmers scrap pile but run your pull cable thru the hole and stick a piece of pipe or cold roll thru the cable eyelet on the backside of the disc ! You would just have to dig a slot deep enough to sink the disc and maybe a small cable path in front and maybe a few more j
Vintage Farm Disc plow tool tillage disk farm image 1
ust the same if needed !download.png

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The large ground grabber / Spade is huge and bulky. I like the idea of a plow disc or a few of them. I could store multiples of them stacked together not taking much more room than one. Although linking them all together is another problem.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The large ground grabber / Spade is huge and bulky. I like the idea of a plow disc or a few of them. I could store multiples of them stacked together not taking much more room than one. Although linking them all together is another problem.
Short chockers meeting in 1 spot for pull cable to hook to all of them ! I figure 2 seperate disk pos. would be a lot of anchor pull but add more if needed

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The advantage to the spade style is they dig themselves in once you get them started.

I have thought of making one where the arm is one piece and the spade is a second. Then it could lay flat ish when disassembled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems like getting the spade back after a pull could be very difficult depending what it drove into/how deep.

ramdough

Seems like getting the spade back after a pull could be very difficult depending what it drove into/how deep.
The pulling arm limits how deep it can go and since you are dragging it a bit, the back side of the spade does not have suction on it, so you should be able to pull straight up on the arm tip to break the front suction and pull the spade up.

That is what I concluded by looking at videos, but my plan is to make 2 spades and a “y” bridle to pull them.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im thinking the face of the anchor will have to be much larger to use on trucks that are this heavy im pretty sure the orange anchor above will just turn into a ripper tooth cutting a line in the ground all the way back to the stuck truck !

ramdough

Im thinking the face of the anchor will have to be much larger to use on trucks that are this heavy im pretty sure the orange anchor above will just turn into a ripper tooth cutting a line in the ground all the way back to the stuck truck !
Pull pal sells an oversized military version. So yes, they go by load capacity.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And that is the question, how much pull do you need???
Im going to go with what ever the width of the side panel holder door is so i can slide that sise disc lieing flat with a couple chocker cables and some 16 in pieces of cold roll stock so maybe 18 to 20 inch disc and dont forget your round point shovel (very handy for many other things to have on your trucks)

ramdough

Ive been thinking about this anchor and how and where would i put this some where on the truck that wouldnt be in the way the 99,9 percent of the time i didnt need it ! I think ive come up with something that might stow easier and have more anchor material for our heavier trucks to pull against with just a little light fab work ! https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...wjZuoKMpfmCAxURkokEHR7PC5AQvhd6BQgBEI4B&nis=8 Use a few of these farming disc/plow wheels which you could might find for free from local farmers scrap pile but run your pull cable thru the hole and stick a piece of pipe or cold roll thru the cable eyelet on the backside of the disc ! You would just have to dig a slot deep enough to sink the disc and maybe a small cable path in front and maybe a few more j
Vintage Farm Disc plow tool tillage disk farm image 1
ust the same if needed !View attachment 912182
I would think you would want a rigid connection to the disc. If it slides unevenly, turns on edge, and lets loose, you will have a frisbee instead of an anchor.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im going to go with what ever the width of the side panel holder door is so i can slide that sise disc lieing flat with a couple chocker cables and some 16 in pieces of cold roll stock so maybe 18 to 20 inch disc and dont forget your round point shovel (very handy for many other things to have on your trucks)
You might want to do some testing with the disc blades before you “need” them, as they tend to be kind of brittle, however bigger typically tend to be tougher. If they hold up they may be a very good option for multiples in the sand….

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to do some testing with the disc blades before you “need” them, as they tend to be kind of brittle, however bigger typically tend to be tougher. If they hold up they may be a very good option for multiples in the sand….
Yea should test it out and thats one reason i thought a long as possible pipe/bar would displace weight across the disc

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think you would want a rigid connection to the disc. If it slides unevenly, turns on edge, and lets loose, you will have a frisbee instead of an anchor.

Those disc are heavier than you think i dont see them going very far if it did pull out of the ground its all dead weight so just dont stand in front of or in the path of any winching ordeal for saftey sake !

Ronmar

The problem with a disc, is connecting to the center WITHOUT a rigid lever arm, means that it will need to be buried completely with a channel down to the disc center.

Even then that is no guarantee. since it can pivot where you attach to it, it may push up the soil above the pivot(path of least resistance) and as soon as it tilts past vertical it will slide up out of the hole.

There is a fairly easy way to attach a lever(t rod thru center with a chain from top of T to top edge of disc to hold it at a dig-in angle).

I dont see a disc wanting to dig in by itself in anything but sand though. Thats where the ground grabber or danforth anchor design has an edge. Basically self digging, and only go as deep as they need to. The ground grabber can be made flat, a danforth anchor is already flat. You can also easilly daisy chain them...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks