• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AWOLs 1997 M1097A2 Build

Awol

So I have the truck running off a diesel can right now, with a mixture of diesel and atf in it. Also poured some atf into the fuel filter housing, hopefully to free up anything that's sticky in the IP.

While doing that, I power washed the fuel tank. It's not perfect, but it's clean. It was covered in GA mud/clay. Also discovered the fuel sock fell off the sending unit. A new one is in order anyway, as the original was almost 100% plugged with junk.

20240318_154942.jpg20240318_161005.jpg20240318_160958.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I have the truck running off a diesel can right now, with a mixture of diesel and atf in it. Also poured some atf into the fuel filter housing, hopefully to free up anything that's sticky in the IP.

While doing that, I power washed the fuel tank. It's not perfect, but it's clean. It was covered in GA mud/clay. Also discovered the fuel sock fell off the sending unit. A new one is in order anyway, as the original was almost 100% plugged with junk.

View attachment 919331View attachment 919332View attachment 919333
Looks like you got it pretty clean!
Fuel sock was sloshing around in the bottom of the tank?

Awol

Looks like you got it pretty clean!
Fuel sock was sloshing around in the bottom of the tank?

Yeah, just floating around. lol

When I drained the tank it probably had 10 gallons of water in it. It definitely wasn't gonna run without a draining and thorough cleaning.

Awol

Good Deal.
Glad you got it drained and cleaned out!

Definitely before you tried to start it...

Yeah, one look at that tank and I knew I needed to run the truck off a fuel can until I get the tank cleaned out. I ordered a new sock, and drain plug. Both were smoked. I was surprised the drain plug was holding anything.

While the tank is down, it's getting all new rubber lines. The ones on it now look original to the truck. Brittle as hell.

Still have the stumble and die when letting off the throttle, but I'm hoping that atf works its way in the IP and frees some stuff up. I really don't want to pull the IP.

Awol

Forgot to post these pics. This is what the IP looked like inside when I first got it. Absolutely disgusting. The fuel looked like mud when I pumped it out.

Also, I think I figured out my off idle stumble. I turned the idle up 1 full turn of the screw, and now it doesn't die when returning to idle.

20240319_144840.jpg20240319_145058.jpg20240319_151309.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

CapePrep

Forgot to post these pics. This is what the IP looked like inside when I first got it. Absolutely disgusting. The fuel looked like mud when I pumped it out.

Also, I think I figured out my off idle stumble. I turned the idle up 1 full turn of the screw, and now it doesn't die when returning to idle.

View attachment 919451View attachment 919452View attachment 919453
Nasty. When I mentioned earlier about the oil change due to water in fuel tank, this is what I was referring to! That transfer pump sucked water out of tank and into your IP. Which than gets into your crankcase. Glad you're getting it all cleaned up and running properly.

Awol

Nasty. When I mentioned earlier about the oil change due to water in fuel tank, this is what I was referring to! That transfer pump sucked water out of tank and into your IP. Which than gets into your crankcase. Glad you're getting it all cleaned up and running properly.
Yup, it's coming along nicely.

Also, traced those lines from that cannister in the engine bay. It looks to be a catch can of some sort. One line runs into the driver valve cover, the other goes to the block right above the oil filter (small line with crimp fitting)

20240319_173651.jpg20240319_173642.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious how the water gets from the IP into the crankcase?

Just1More

Looks good! I would open up the catch can looking thing to see what's what. Reminds me of the old school secondary oil filters that use a roll of toilet paper. Maybe there's a part number on it.

Awol

Looks good! I would open up the catch can looking thing to see what's what. Reminds me of the old school secondary oil filters that use a roll of toilet paper. Maybe there's a part number on it.
I plan on digging into it later today. I think I saw a brand name and part number on it. I'll report back with what I find.

Awol

Took some pics of the catch can. It has a drain valve on it, but it's empty. I haven't attempted to take it apart yet.

20240320_145837.jpg20240320_145849.jpg20240320_150137.jpg

Just1More

Interesting. I'll keep following the thread in case you open it up. I've never seen one that's supposed to be mounted on its side either. It still might be a bypass oil filter.

Awol

What were these two vent lines off the fuel tank supposed to run to? They were disconnected and bypassed when I got the truck. I haven't reinstalled them yet since putting the tank in.

20240326_132917.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks