• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axel Vent Mod, 2.5 ton Rockwells

hklvette

It seems to be like it would be a trivial task after this setup is added to put in the low-pressure regular to make it a true fording setup. That's what I'd like to do with mine one of these days.

Stagg

hkvette, That's what I'm thinking. Someday down the road, I'll add the full blown fording kit. For the moment I'm just tired of changing (and worrying) about repacking bearings.

However, I am noticing a trend of NOT putting 90 degree elbows in the lines. I'm tempted to change them now.

jesusgatos

Just fyi guys you do not want to run the 90's but straight up from the diff.
Oil vapor will pool in the line and harden, when that happens the air can not expand and your axle seals will fail.
Yup. I can vouch for that. Running the vent lines on long horizontal stretches, or allowing the vent lines to dip (where sludge can pool) will also cause problems. I'm going to plumb fittings into my fording kit that will allow me to blow-out the vent lines.

Stagg

Does that gear oil really create a vapor? Either way I may reconsider, or just add a maintenance step where I blow the silly things out very now and then.

There is a lot of horizontal line running from the rears to the front/engine bay.

treeguy

Just a thought that has been lingering in the back of my mind. (nice set-up!) With the lengths of hose/tubing added to the axles and the gear cases, will they (tubing) build up condensation that will find its way back into the gear cases? While running the trucks there will be heat generated by the gear cases warming up the air inside of them, but because of the lengths of tubing, I would imagine that the tubing would remain cooler. That is why I'm wondering about condensation, due to the temp. differences and changes. What do you guys think? Am I way over thinking this?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks