• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Seal Gremlins!

oldshep

Its a bobber and the lube is getting to the bearings in the front end. Overfull I'd say:!:. Going to the parts store right now.

jwaller

Its a bobber and the lube is getting to the bearings in the front end. Overfull I'd say:!:. Going to the parts store right now.
if you are getting lube in the steer axle wheel bearings then you have a inner axle seal leak. it's got nothing to do with key way seals. you will need a slide hammer to remove the seal carrier after taking the whole knuckle apart. You must have a very good knuckle boot in order for it to hold gear lube and force it into the wheel bearing.

Brock Steel

Did you seal the retainer ring into the axle housing? I had mine leak after the repair. I then RTV the seal into the retainer then glued the retainer into the axle. No more leak. The seals flat side faces outward. Make sure you grease the seals lip too.

JTugwell

Did you seal the retainer ring into the axle housing? I had mine leak after the repair. I then RTV the seal into the retainer then glued the retainer into the axle. No more leak. The seals flat side faces outward. Make sure you grease the seals lip too.
i think you gave me that same advise on mine. i had the same problem with the same side on the front axle. changed everything out then started leaking again. my retainer wouldnt stay seated in the axle housing correctly. when i pulled it all apart again the retainer (seal and everything) came out with the axle shaft. i cleaned everything really good with brake cleaner. put silicone in the seal area with a brand new seal then jb welded the retainer into the axle housing and let it dry overnight. the next day i put a little grease on the seal lip, cleaned the axle surface, and reinstalled everything with 4 lbs of new grease. so far so good. (fingers crossed) reading this almost makes me want to go check it again, but im scared!

BugEyeBear

....so far so good. (fingers crossed) reading this almost makes me want to go check it again, but im scared!
just went outside and checked. STILL GOOD! :-D
:funny:

I've BEEN THERE!!

Sometimes I just don't want to look under the hood or underneath my cars...
...for FEAR of what I might discover! aua

BUT knowing that it is better to catch any problems early on has me checking for leaks before & after every drive... & whenever else I'm tinkering on my "toys".

Not knowing about a leak or other problem isn't gonna make it go away!!

jwaller

thats the same way I did mine about 2 years ago without zippers on both sides. still leak free.

Scarecrow1

Are you kidding evrytime I come out of a store and see fluids on the ground regardless if it was already there it scares the crap out of me. :-xGod knows why ......lets see new motor new radiator, break booster, mastercylinder, ,rotors, pads, hosesand a fuel pump **** whats left to worry about :twisted:

BugEyeBear

Are you kidding evrytime I come out of a store and see fluids on the ground regardless if it was already there it scares the crap out of me. :-xGod knows why ......lets see new motor new radiator, break booster, mastercylinder, ,rotors, pads, hosesand a fuel pump **** whats left to worry about :twisted:
OH, Let's see....

Wheel Cylinders

Axle Seals

Pinion Seals

Xfercase Seals

Transmission Seals

PTO Seals

Gas Tank

Gas Lines

Steering Box

Knuckle Boots

Air Hoses

U-Joints

Axle Vents

All Bearings

Tires

Electrical Wiring

Guages

Lights

Canvas

etc.

etc.

etc.....

That's why it is called "A HOBBY"!

NOW You'll NEVER SLEEP!!

bjerauld

what would cause a sudden massive leak in the axle seal?!?!?! Every other wheel is dry except one. just..... BAM! leaking a good amount of fluid. I'm on the fence about just doing that one... or if I should do them all.... but if they are not broke dont fix them...right?.... :?::!:

bjerauld

oh yeah.... and not to jack the thread... my engine stop cable broke today... I had to pull the plunger out on the injector pump w/ pliers..but thats getting old..quick! how do i fix that???

sorry for the quick highjacking!!!

BugEyeBear

what would cause a sudden massive leak in the axle seal?!?!?! Every other wheel is dry except one. just..... BAM! leaking a good amount of fluid. I'm on the fence about just doing that one... or if I should do them all.... but if they are not broke dont fix them...right?.... :?::!:
Probably just an old seal who's time was up!

They ALL fail eventually, but if I were you I'd just fix the one, inspect & repack the bearings while you are in there, and leave the others alone for now.
Hard to predict when they'll leak.

Be sure to check that the axle vent isn't plugged.
Remove it; clean it w brake cleaner; dry it; test it (blow thru it from the threaded side, you should be able to blow but not suck), & reinstall it.
A clogged vent can cause pressure to build in the axle as it gets hot & blow gear oil out of a seal.

I'd also suggest investing in an infrared gun to monitor temps of axle bearings, diffs, drums, and all your other drivetrain components.
HOT Parts indicate that something is amiss! (low on lube, mis-installed, worn, or misadjusted (brakes))
PAYS FOR ITSELF!

BugEyeBear

oh yeah.... and not to jack the thread... my engine stop cable broke today... I had to pull the plunger out on the injector pump w/ pliers..but thats getting old..quick! how do i fix that???

sorry for the quick highjacking!!!
I've never had to fix one of these...

Suggest you search the forum OR start a new thread to get responses for this Q. (It will get missed buried in this thread.)

oldshep

I just have bad luck. Lets see, I've had the engine/trans out, new clutch, new rear main, rearched the springs, built my own fuel tank, spin on oil filters, pyro, disc brakes, lock outs, repainted, rerouted exhaust, 46'' xmls, trimed the fenders up, got rid of tool and battery boxes, put AGM batteries under the seat, made a new dash, im out of breath guys. I can take apart my truck in my sleep.:twisted:

govt

I've got a leaker on the left rear wheel. I know I can purchase the parts online but are they available at a local parts house:?: First time attempting to do a repair like this on the deuce

AceHigh

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks