• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AZ AZ Insurance Quote -m1165

Caactus

My carrier (GEICO) gave me a big thumbs down on my 2008 m1165 insurance so I tried USAA. They outsource MVs through Progressive. Offered basically the same high coverage I carry on my traditional (boring) full size trucks. Based on a self disclosed $30k value, $896/year or $778/year if I prepay the entire amount. Still waiting on EUC (and obviously SF97) but *not* looking forward to seeing what Arizona tries to wack me with for taxes and yearly registration. Anyone in Arizona have experience with newer HMMWVs here?

Caactus

Deuce, Thank you for the suggestion. I just tried their (Hagerty) online quote. Selected $31k value, estimated 1000mi/year, and said I would use it for “parades and trips to the ice cream shop”. It generated $788 if prepaid or $178 then $68/month. No mileage limit or other restrictions.

Mainly just posting this so others considering a HMMWV can have a more accurate idea of costs.

BestPrez45

My carrier (GEICO) gave me a big thumbs down on my 2008 m1165 insurance so I tried USAA. They outsource MVs through Progressive. Offered basically the same high coverage I carry on my traditional (boring) full size trucks. Based on a self disclosed $30k value, $896/year or $778/year if I prepay the entire amount. Still waiting on EUC (and obviously SF97) but *not* looking forward to seeing what Arizona tries to wack me with for taxes and yearly registration. Anyone in Arizona have experience with newer HMMWVs here?
So it's 2/22 and I'm in the same boat. I am waiting for my EUC to clear. A "clean/clear" SF97 comes with my 2008 M1123. I contacted AZ MVD and what I was told is as follows. Did these things happen to you when you registered?

1) The taxes they are going to apply to my vehicle for registration is going to be based the original $220K the govt bought the Humvee for and NOT the $9600 purchase price I paid. (did that happen to you?) This would mean my registration per year would be $330 or $600 every 2 years.

2) Phoenix requires a Level III inspection even though I have an SF97 UNLESS the VIN# on the title I eventually receive is 17 digits or more.

3) 3 forms will need to be filled out and brought in at time of registration, 90-0572/96-0236/96-0371A found on the dot website for AZ

Does any of this sound similar to your experience with MVD?

I also found out that my life with a Humvee will be much easier if I register in a county other than Maricopa.

BestPrez45

So it's 2/22 and I'm in the same boat. I am waiting for my EUC to clear. A "clean/clear" SF97 comes with my 2008 M1123. I contacted AZ MVD and what I was told is as follows. Did these things happen to you when you registered?

1) The taxes they are going to apply to my vehicle for registration is going to be based the original $220K the govt bought the Humvee for and NOT the $9600 purchase price I paid. (did that happen to you?) This would mean my registration per year would be $330 or $600 every 2 years.

2) Phoenix requires a Level III inspection even though I have an SF97 UNLESS the VIN# on the title I eventually receive is 17 digits or more.

3) 3 forms will need to be filled out and brought in at time of registration, 90-0572/96-0236/96-0371A found on the dot website for AZ

Does any of this sound similar to your experience with MVD?

I also found out that my life with a Humvee will be much easier if I register in a county other than Maricopa.
I also found out that multi fuel vehicles almost never pass emissions in Phoenix. Is that an issue you ran into?

Caactus

Welcome to Arizona HMMWV registration adventures!

It's been just over a year since the auction and the first 6 months were pretty frustrating. Waiting 2 months for the background check and another 2+ months for the SF97 to show up. I had heard horror stories about the DMV and a they didn't disappoint.
I'm in the NW valley but had heard the Scottsdale office had experience registering HMMWVs so I started there. I think they were booked out a couple weeks for the VIN# verification so I did that on Aug 26, 2001. I don't remember why they did a Level-2 inspection ($20), but that's what my receipt says and the process was pretty painless. The officer told me to take the form and the SF97 around the the regular registration line and that's where I got shot down. Her issue was the SF97 showed the title transferred from the USMC to Iron Planet, NOT to ME. She said to take it up with Iron Planet..and THEY said they had never heard of such a issue but she COULD Fedex me a handwritten "Motor Vehicle Title Reassignment Supplement". It was recommended by another HMMWV owner to get an AZDOT "Power of Attorney" form by which Iron Planet could designate ME to transfer the title..to...myself...but a follow up call to Iron Planet got a "NO WAY do we do that" response.

I came to SteelSoldiers and cried a little until I received a PM with the following:
"If you are registering in the metro areas, you need to get emission tested at the 59TH ave and beverely station. They have passed mine there numerous times.
Then take your emission test, level 1 inspection and sf97 to C&C auto license. 12450 n 35th ave, #15, phoenix, az 85029.
See His Excellency "Mr. C" he knows how to fill out the paperwork correctly."

So...that's what I did. Aug 31 I did the emissions test ($25) and passed (Reading:6.1/Standard 40.0) (*SEE BELOW). I went from there to C&C with the Level 2 form, the SF97, the "Motor Vehicle Title Reassignment Supplement", and the Emissions Compliance Certificate.
He hummed at hawed, ultimately saying the SF97 was from one state and the Motor Vehicle Title Reassignment Supplement was from a different state..and THAT was a problem. BUT...I just put the Supplement back in my folder and he pretended he hadn't seen it and he processed it with the other items without a problem. Except irritatingly they had to register it as a Commercial Vehicle because of the GVW but I also have an F-350 SRW that has the same issue. Stupid Arizona.

Total Cost:

4.00 Title Processing Fee
8.00 Registration Fee
1.75 AQF
7.50 Weight Fee
4.00 Commercial Registration Fee
110.67 Vehicle License Tax
1.52 Postage
574.20 City VUT
0.00 State VUT
711.64 Total

And that's what I paid to get a sticker for a 2008 M1165A1..well...then another $50 to get a personalized, US Flag "FREEDOM" plate. The owner that suggested I go to the Scottsdale ADOT office is going to C&C now as well for his HMMWV titling needs and has been satisfied as well.

Sorry that was so long winded. Hope it helps.

(*) On the emissions test, they tell you that you need to hold the throttle foot to the floor, WIDE OPEN for 5 seconds and then let up to idle. Repeat 3x. I don't know about you, but there is no way in hell I'm doing that. I think I MIGHT have given them about 2800 RPM. I use a similar technique with an old F-250 I have. None of my 3 diesels have any mods, HMMWV included and I detest those who find "Rollin' Coal!" humorous because it gives ammunition to some in the Tesla crowd who flee to a safe space when they see a truck. BUT, I'm not damaging my vehicle to appease them. YMMV​

BestPrez45

Welcome to Arizona HMMWV registration adventures!

It's been just over a year since the auction and the first 6 months were pretty frustrating. Waiting 2 months for the background check and another 2+ months for the SF97 to show up. I had heard horror stories about the DMV and a they didn't disappoint.
I'm in the NW valley but had heard the Scottsdale office had experience registering HMMWVs so I started there. I think they were booked out a couple weeks for the VIN# verification so I did that on Aug 26, 2001. I don't remember why they did a Level-2 inspection ($20), but that's what my receipt says and the process was pretty painless. The officer told me to take the form and the SF97 around the the regular registration line and that's where I got shot down. Her issue was the SF97 showed the title transferred from the USMC to Iron Planet, NOT to ME. She said to take it up with Iron Planet..and THEY said they had never heard of such a issue but she COULD Fedex me a handwritten "Motor Vehicle Title Reassignment Supplement". It was recommended by another HMMWV owner to get an AZDOT "Power of Attorney" form by which Iron Planet could designate ME to transfer the title..to...myself...but a follow up call to Iron Planet got a "NO WAY do we do that" response.

I came to SteelSoldiers and cried a little until I received a PM with the following:
"If you are registering in the metro areas, you need to get emission tested at the 59TH ave and beverely station. They have passed mine there numerous times.
Then take your emission test, level 1 inspection and sf97 to C&C auto license. 12450 n 35th ave, #15, phoenix, az 85029.
See His Excellency "Mr. C" he knows how to fill out the paperwork correctly."

So...that's what I did. Aug 31 I did the emissions test ($25) and passed (Reading:6.1/Standard 40.0) (*SEE BELOW). I went from there to C&C with the Level 2 form, the SF97, the "Motor Vehicle Title Reassignment Supplement", and the Emissions Compliance Certificate.
He hummed at hawed, ultimately saying the SF97 was from one state and the Motor Vehicle Title Reassignment Supplement was from a different state..and THAT was a problem. BUT...I just put the Supplement back in my folder and he pretended he hadn't seen it and he processed it with the other items without a problem. Except irritatingly they had to register it as a Commercial Vehicle because of the GVW but I also have an F-350 SRW that has the same issue. Stupid Arizona.

Total Cost:

4.00 Title Processing Fee
8.00 Registration Fee
1.75 AQF
7.50 Weight Fee
4.00 Commercial Registration Fee
110.67 Vehicle License Tax
1.52 Postage
574.20 City VUT
0.00 State VUT
711.64 Total

And that's what I paid to get a sticker for a 2008 M1165A1..well...then another $50 to get a personalized, US Flag "FREEDOM" plate. The owner that suggested I go to the Scottsdale ADOT office is going to C&C now as well for his HMMWV titling needs and has been satisfied as well.

Sorry that was so long winded. Hope it helps.

(*) On the emissions test, they tell you that you need to hold the throttle foot to the floor, WIDE OPEN for 5 seconds and then let up to idle. Repeat 3x. I don't know about you, but there is no way in hell I'm doing that. I think I MIGHT have given them about 2800 RPM. I use a similar technique with an old F-250 I have. None of my 3 diesels have any mods, HMMWV included and I detest those who find "Rollin' Coal!" humorous because it gives ammunition to some in the Tesla crowd who flee to a safe space when they see a truck. BUT, I'm not damaging my vehicle to appease them. YMMV​
Amazingly helpful information. I thank you for breaking it down for me.
I however now have a new question, (sorry)
The Vehicle use tax of $574.20 Do you know what MVD based that on and is that a one time fee because the vehicle is being registered from out of state (an impact fee as some states call it) or do you have to pay that each time your registration is due?

I just read that AZ considers all pick up trucks as commercial vehicles. That's silly.

BestPrez45

Testing multifuels for emissions is a lot easier if you run straight gas. Much cleaner.

After all, they were designed to run gas if no diesel was available.

GD
That is great to know. I just assumed "multi" for a HMMWV meant jet fuels and different diesels. it never occurred to me that the military would request gasoline capabilities from a diesel.

Caactus

Amazingly helpful information. I thank you for breaking it down for me.
I however now have a new question, (sorry)
The Vehicle use tax of $574.20 Do you know what MVD based that on and is that a one time fee because the vehicle is being registered from out of state (an impact fee as some states call it) or do you have to pay that each time your registration is due?

I just read that AZ considers all pick up trucks as commercial vehicles. That's silly.

I'm happy to be a part of a community that helps each other. I couldn't remember how they came up with the number so I just looked through my records.

Our winning bid amount was $31,900 and I looked up my city's buyer tax rate (1.8%). Multiplied together, I came up with the $574.20. We already paid the 6% California sales tax, therefore didn't have to pay Arizona's 5.6% state tax. Looking back at it now, I'm honestly surprised it wasn't more because we only showed a small registration cost...maybe the registration fee will be higher when I renew as the purchase tax is (hopefully) completely paid. We'll just have to see what happens when I renew in August.

As far as the "commercial" vehicle registration....that's only for 1 ton and larger. My F250 doesn't suffer from that but the F350 and Humvee do.

BestPrez45

I'm happy to be a part of a community that helps each other. I couldn't remember how they came up with the number so I just looked through my records.

Our winning bid amount was $31,900 and I looked up my city's buyer tax rate (1.8%). Multiplied together, I came up with the $574.20. We already paid the 6% California sales tax, therefore didn't have to pay Arizona's 5.6% state tax. Looking back at it now, I'm honestly surprised it wasn't more because we only showed a small registration cost...maybe the registration fee will be higher when I renew as the purchase tax is (hopefully) completely paid. We'll just have to see what happens when I renew in August.

As far as the "commercial" vehicle registration....that's only for 1 ton and larger. My F250 doesn't suffer from that but the F350 and Humvee do.
Again, thank you immensely for going out of the way to help me understand MVD. The $31.9K was what I was hoping to hear they based your fee off of. I was told it was going to be the $200K that the Govt originally paid and that just didn't sound right. And that sounds like it's a one time "impact" fee for registering an out of state vehicle into AZ. Fingers crossed I'm right on that.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so there is no confusion, don't try gas in a HUMMV.

Big tactical multifuel's like the deuce and 5-ton were from a different era.

GD

Caactus

Again, thank you immensely for going out of the way to help me understand MVD. The $31.9K was what I was hoping to hear they based your fee off of. I was told it was going to be the $200K that the Govt originally paid and that just didn't sound right. And that sounds like it's a one time "impact" fee for registering an out of state vehicle into AZ. Fingers crossed I'm right on that.
Sadly, everything seems to be based on the person you talk to. If you ARE in the Phoenix area, I might suggest using C&C as they are familiar with HMMWVs and seem to provide consistent information. Otherwise, you have to rely on the ADOT person that says “next in line!”, and many times although they provide incorrect information, they refuse to consider any other perspective…even when shown documentation that they are incorrect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks