• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Back up camera Deuce

joeinaforest

Ok, all done except the paint...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLNowxSjfnA[/media]

10" display off of ebay 80 bucks plus like 11 for shipping. Sub $100 for the entire install. Got the batteries for free from work...they are used, but will run the mirror for many many hours between charges. I charge with a little solar panel. Used Anderson Power Poles for easy disconnect/charging of the batteries.

I know, most of you will be like "why"??? WEll, because I'm a control freak and DESPISE not being able to see directly behind me. Now I can :)

Works at night with some infrared LED's around the edge of the camera...

J

ApopkaFL

Banned
I plan to install them all around my truck. So I can see what is around me when I am backing up, changing lanes and so on. With the truck being on 53" tires and 8"; lift its tall. There is a company that sells a 7" display unit that you can use it to view 4 video cams at the same time.

Attachments

Ripcord01

The back up cameras are nice to have. Good job,, I have one on my CiVi truck . You might be careful so you don't become like me and rely on the screen to much. I t is nice not having to stand up and twist your head around..

joeinaforest

Here is a link to the same seller I bought from: 10.2" Rearview mirror monitor + Water Proof Camera + TS | eBay

Takes a couple of weeks to get it.

I aimed it so that it just nicks the hitch. When I get a trailer life will be good!

And no, it does not record. Just use your phone to record po po interactions if you are worried.

If you would like a DVR to record, I'd recommend www.supercircuits.com never the cheapest, but always good. IIRC, you can get into a dvr for about $120 that records to an SD card.

I purchased this system for the display, not the camera....but since it was there I used it. I don't expect the camera to last for long, hopefully a few years...

Also, this unit will accept 2 cameras at the same time, so it would be very easy to add another, regular NTSC output.

The cheapo camera gets a little contrasty in bright sun and at dark...but I figured it was free, LOL. It also only has about a 50 degree view angle...I'd rather have like 100 degree wide angle. But, I still use my mirrors like normal, so not a problem, just gives a great view of the hitch and immediately down. I can see with my angle about 15' behind the truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, now I'm thinking. Works at night with little infra reds. I have at least one IR tank light. Wonder if that would be too much light?