• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad PCB?

Mike82ndABN

I have a natron PCB 6110 01 292 053

i was charging batteries and tried to start again last night. As soon as i moved it over to run, it started clicking non stop. I'm assuming if I had a full charge it would have engaged the starter all by itself. This was in run. Not in start.

Is this a bad PCB. Could a bad ground cause this? Can I open it and clean the relays, maybe it welded the relay shut and it's stuck.

Only thing I've done recently is change headlights and charge batteries (still won't hold a charge).

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get an S3 EESS....and yes, Temp sender comes with it...TSU....and as always,disconnect battery's before you do ANY electrical work on these trucks...that's the beauty in having a BAttery cutoff switch.

Mike82ndABN

The PCB has stopped self cranking, I still don't trust it so I leave the neg battery cable off until I buy one (i'll end up taking you up on that offer). In the meantime, the PCB sounds like it continues to cycle the glow plugs even after the truck is running, I hear an audible click on and off.

KansasBobcat

The PCB has stopped self cranking, I still don't trust it so I leave the neg battery cable off until I buy one (i'll end up taking you up on that offer). In the meantime, the PCB sounds like it continues to cycle the glow plugs even after the truck is running, I hear an audible click on and off.
The self cranking is scary. I second the post about battery cutoff. Both my H1 and M998 cycle the plugs a couple times after starting.

Wile E. Coyote

There is supposed to be what's called an 'afterglow' period once the HMMWV is started (CUCV family does it too) which is perfectly normal. Depending on the generation of PCB/ EESS/ S3 you have installed, that afterglow period is done in different ways - though all result in the glowplugs being cycled for short periods.

I've come across the 'self-starting' thing in vehicles with the original Prestolite and Nartron 'silver label' PCBs (the ones the USMC apparently stayed with while the Army tried about seven different variants) once or twice, which seemed a function of age in those things (one apparently ran the starter all night until the batteries died.) I've had them full of water - I've had the Clum can relays within them get lazy...you name it, I've probably had one fail that way. I haven't had a 'brain box' start a fire though (now the RPM sensor on the back of the block for the STE/ICE...well...that's another story) but maybe that's something to look forward to :)

I haven't had any problems with the Nartron 'Yellow Label' EESS types or the S3 setups. Yet. But they haven't had the chance to become 30 yrs old, either. I note that the S3 boxes still show up in Austin's scrapyard though, so they're either still failing, or are being thrown away unnecessarily thanks to poor/ indifferent (or flow-chart based) troubleshooting skills.