• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks sidewinder turbo considerations doesn’t fit very well

Skrilex

Banned
Pulling blown engine out of my hmmwv and before removal decided to play with fitting the banks turbo kit I have here for 6.2. It has a cast manifold that places turbo forward by the air filter. It would fit but it would require cutting into passenger footwell. So, my desires to do this install were suddenly shunted in a different direction of hacking the factory tube manifolds and making them feed the turbo in a different location, but overall it turned me off to the idea of a turbo on the 6.2 and may have settled the engine debate for me in the long run. I think I will still install the 6.2 so I can drive it, but I’ll pass on the turbo for now.

Just thought I would echo this finding since I thought I had read that this would work, but maybe that person hacked into their cab and I’m not willing to do that for this little gain. If I’m gonn do major body mods it better be for a good reason.

if anyone has any information to share about this I’d appreciate it.

Wire Fox

We require the van-style top-mounted turbo, the body should be lifted I think 1", the doghouse engine cover must be replaced with the turbo design for clearance, and you need to trim the tunnel floor to match the shape of the new doghouse.

The side-mounted turbos are known trouble unless you love custom work and cutting. You've independently found that out for yourself!

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Skrilex

Banned
It looks like there was offered two different manifolds for the 6.2 banks kits. One put the crossover in back, one puts it up front somehow. That’s the one I have, but I’m curious if the other one has been implemented. I could also just custom weld a manifold but I don’t know if it’s worth the effort.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Just installed new Banks Sidewinder in CUCV. Turbo mounts front right side. Left side exhaust reroutes to front of engine. Couples up to lower front right side below turbo. Do to the way the engine is wack to the right in the hummve frame, turbo out exhaust is not going to work... not with out a lot of rethinking, my two cent worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks