• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks turbo pyrometer readings???

Drock

I finally finished the install of my sidewinder turbo. And according to the directions, at 60MPH the EGT should be 400 degrees with 1 to 1-1/2 LBS of boost. But mine is running 500-600 degrees and no boost. I was thinking this may be because our CUCV's perhaps run lower gears then the civilian K30's, thus more RPM's may = more EGT??? Or am I just running too much fuel advance , and should back it off ah little?? What temps are you guy's getting?

Drock

Well I think I got my answer tonight. Cruising down the highway at 70-80 MPH, in overdrive. The water temp spiked up to 200°, it quickly dropped right back down to 192° after I slowed down to 65MPH. I think it was running about 7LBS of boost at the time? So when I got home I went ahead and backed off the advance screw 1/8 of ah turn. I'll see if that helped after I get ah chance to drive it on the highway again.

dstang97

It would help if you told us what exactly you have for a cucv. Why are you de-tuning it? If it's under 1k egt you are fine. 4-500 is where mine is at 65. 4-5 lbs of boost in my m1008

muddobber40

You're temps sound fine to me. Mine seem to run around 6-700 at 75 with 35 in tires, 4l80E..converter locked…4 PSI ( these are with 6.5 GM-1 and 3 turbos, not a banks, but should be close)

Last edited:

evldoer

My banks kit has my egt at 650 to 700 running 65 mph and about 2 or 3 lbs of boost. Running factory drivetrains on a 1031 with 37 inch tires.

Drock

It would help if you told us what exactly you have for a cucv. Why are you de-tuning it? If it's under 1k egt you are fine. 4-500 is where mine is at 65. 4-5 lbs of boost in my m1008
Sorry I guess your right. It's an M1028 with 31" tires and ah gear vendors over drive. I did have a chance to drive it on the highway today for about 150 miles after turning down the fuel. The EGT ran slightly cooler this time. It stayed more towards 500° at 60MPH and the boost is up to the 1 to 1-1/2LBS like they said it should. But if I push the truck to 80MPH the EGT gets up around 800° and the water temp 200°?? I have a suspicion that someone may have turned up the fuel an 1/8 before I owned it, because the allen head of the linkedge shaft was cracked when I first took it apart. And the adjustment screw was clocked about that much when I put an allen wrench in it. Thus when I turned up the fuel the 1/4 turn, I may have actually bin at 3/8. So (if that theory is correct) I'm now at the proper 1/4 turn it should be. And could possibly go a 16th lower as mentioned in the Banks directions. So I guess at this point what I'm mostly worried about is the water temp getting so high at 80MPH. Is 200° too high? Should I turn it down another 16th? Or am I just being overly cautious and it's fine the way it is?

Drock

Yeah it's got fresh coolant in it as well as a bottle of water wetter. Because of replacing the bottom rad hose from the banks kit. And I installed a new thermostat, temp gauge, and flushed the system ah couple months ago, and it's bin running fine at 192° ever sense.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
A diesel is not like a gasoline engine, you cannot run a diesel "lean", your boost/temps sound fine. sustained 1000-1200 degree egt's are what you need to stay away from.

evldoer

I agree with FMJ. The EGT is what you have to worry about, not the coolant at 200 degrees. I wouldn't worry about the coolant temp until it goes over 225 degrees.
On my truck I get off of the skinny pedal when my EGT hits 1000, and this can happen fast on a grade while pulling a trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks