• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Barstow M936's recovery

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Majmalfunction Which locker is pic 3? Looks like the door swings down or out to the side not up like those for pic 1 and 2. Great haul - will save a bunch of searching headaches!

M35A2 - AZ Earlier pics - do I see two working 30ton bottle jacks? If so, want to cash one in? My 816 did came with 50% of the BII (no jack - but 2 whiffle trees!)

OOps - looked at pics and didn't realise two different posters. edited appropriately.

It had a new 30 ton and a used 12 ton. May think about selling later on.
:beer:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zebedee,

That is the sponson box below the passenger side door. It swings open to the right (toward the front of the truck).
Ah. No wonder I didn't recognise it - I have batteries there! ... Handy.

There is also a small sponson box on the back right corner of the truck that had some tools in it (forgot to take a pic of that one).
I have seen something there, had wondered if they were just extensions to the sides and end.

Thanks

Recovery complete! Drove my M936 in from Phoenix/Tempe area and got in last night.
What a nice truck! I will post pics in the next day or so. Odometer read 33,534 when lotted by
GL and now reads 34,451 miles. Toolboxes are full and even had the keys for the locks and a new
lock for the tool box that had just the seal. Again I'd like to thank Matt and Albert for helping with the recovery, maybe some day I can help you guys. Thanks Brandon [thumbzup]

markmontana

On the missing whiffle pins- I talked to a guy that ran a wrecker at Ft Leonard Wood back in the day. He said they did a lot of lifted towing and never used the whiffletrees. They just ran chain between the two bumper shackles and hooked to that.

I tend to believe this was a common practice. Both my whiffletrees are new and unused. And I have seen a couple pics with the chain- (should have saved them).

However- I still want to get some real or at least useable pins!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my whiffletree pins finished today that I made.
Tried to make them as close to the stock pins as I could.

Forgot I got my Vise installed today also.

Attachments

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your pins look real good! You may have a market for them. I would like to have a set aswell
Where did you find a vice???
I was in a surplus yard looking around and there it was, It would not open.
So I tried to get it apart and pulled and pulled and finally got it apart.
It was not rusty at all inside, not sure why it would not come apart.
Took a wire wheel and cleaned it up and painted it 383 green. Looks like new, well almost!!!

With out braking the rules pm me about the pins.

Ord22

The whiffle tree was rarely used in the military. For one reason, Not to many knew how to use them. Using the chains were quicker to hookup the truck and get it out of there. The pins were missing all the time, thats another reason.