• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

batteries low

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
With the 8.3 turbo you are fine in CT with a pair of good 900cca batteries. If you are really concerned about the cold get a block heater it's a diesel.

Barfkiller

I left the battery switch on for about a week.... (lesson learned). My batteries showed between 6 and 8 volts. I figured they were toast. My local mechanic (who was a mechanic in the army years ago) told me to try and charge them each individually for at least 24 hours at 6 to 10 amps.
I did as suggested and two of the four showed 12.9 volts and held the charge. The other two would not hold the charge longer than 30 minutes......TOAST.

My truck now has been reconfigured for two batteries, and a second battery disconnect switch (remembered the lesson). I live at a somewhat elevated level in the mountains of Utah. It is normal to see negative twenty (-20 F) for the overnight low during the winter. Of course a cold blooded NHC250 with only two batteries will not start. I took the advice of many wise and experienced members and installed a block heater (readily available from NAPA for around $70.00).

If it were up to me my course of action would be:

1- try charging the batteries again. If at least two hold a charge you are still in business.
2- install a block heater.
3- reconfigure the truck for two batteries.
4- if none of the batteries are salvageable, then purchase two of the biggest automotive batteries you can afford and install block heater.
5- Drive truck every chance you get. Perma-GRIN is inevitable.

Last edited:

ctoathkeeper

thanks Suprman,i just bought two deka 31 batteries just figuring how the wiring goes back, also the 569 lead was attached to the cable connecting the batteries before just making sure it gets connected to proper terminal. i dont want to fry anything

dburt

MVC-006S.JPG

Put a NATO Solorgizer solar panel and regulators on your truck to keep the batteries maintained. The whole set up for 24 v systems is about $100. Well worth it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks