• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bay Area Mechanic Wanted

Drunkle Scuzzy

Hello, I live in San Francisco, CA and am looking for suggestions for a good Mechanic nearby. I have a mechanic I've been taking my Tacoma to, and they're great, but maybe someone else would do a better job on my CUCV M1010? Thanks for any suggestions.

- Donald

donalloy1

What do you need help with Donald? I live in Martinez. I avoid letting anyone work on mine! ESPECIALLY on electrical. Gather there is shop in Antioch that specializes in MV's. Have not hooked up with them. Maybe he will chime in?

Last edited:

tim292stro

If you don't mind driving down to Fremont where the Tesla plant is, I highly recommend Dando's Automotive. Smaller shop than say a dealer, but I learned of them via word of mouth, in 10+ years they've never done me or an'one I've sent to them wrong. Very hard to find in this area...

Drunkle Scuzzy

If you don't mind driving down to Fremont where the Tesla plant is, I highly recommend Dando's Automotive. Smaller shop than say a dealer, but I learned of them via word of mouth, in 10+ years they've never done me or an'one I've sent to them wrong. Very hard to find in this area...
Thanks! It's at P & K Auto in Visitacion Valley neighborhood. Hopefully the work will be good. The shop has a great reputation and good reviews, and the price seems right.

Drunkle Scuzzy

I think I'm going to try out Dando's this week, looks good!

Drunkle Scuzzy

Tell Ken or Chris that Tim from Niles sent you. They are good people [thumbzup]
Thanks! The other mechanic did great work, but he didn't do a lot of what I asked him to. Didn't charge me for the things he didn't do, but I'd like to try someone else out. From the quality of your build I checked out on here the other day, I figure they must do great work. Only unfortunate thing is I will have to take a 2.5 hour bus and train ride back to San Francisco... It will be worth it. :p

tim292stro

Full disclosure, they haven't done anything on my XM1027 build, that's been all me - but they have kept my Toyota pickup running until >450K miles, several of my friend's and family's cars and trucks running. They do everything from old cars to late model vehicles - OEM maintenance, to full custom race setups and other customization. They are really good with being thrown curves - you can ask Ken about the work he's done on my Toyota truck over the years, I have giving him some down right insane requests and he's come through.

They are not the cheapest shop around, but they are honest and will actually talk you through what your real options are on a project. They are cheaper than many shops in this area though, and do better work - I've heard of customers from a far down as Gilroy, as far north as Napa, and as far east as Tracy coming to their shop.

[EDIT:] I am not a paid, compensated, requested endorser, simply a happy customer [/EDIT]

Last edited:

Drunkle Scuzzy

He didn't balk at the idea of working on my old rig, which many mechanics don't even wanna touch.

Full disclosure, they haven't done anything on my XM1027 build, that's been all me - but they have kept my Toyota pickup running until >450K miles, several of my friend's and family's cars and trucks running. They do everything from old cars to late model vehicles - OEM maintenance, to full custom race setups and other customization. They are really good with being thrown curves - you can ask Ken about the work he's done on my Toyota truck over the years, I have giving him some down right insane requests and he's come through.

They are not the cheapest shop around, but they are honest and will actually talk you through what your real options are on a project. They are cheaper than many shops in this area though, and do better work - I've heard of customers from a far down as Gilroy, as far north as Napa, and as far east as Tracy coming to their shop.

[EDIT:] I am not a paid, compensated, requested endorser, simply a happy customer [/EDIT]

truck1

What exactly do you need on your rig. My 1028 was my first diesel , and after 3 years it's dialed in very nice. They aren't that tough , once you learn the basic operating systems you can maintain ( with the TMs ) it yourself. PM me if I can help.:grd:

Drunkle Scuzzy

I need to replace the steering components (power steering pump, steering box, idler and pitman arm, tie rod ends, etc.) Maybe now is the time to switch to a hi steer?) reinforce the frame where the steering box mounts to it, replace the radiator, maybe hoses and heater core, replace a missing bracket so the parking brake can work, fix the fuel gauge, and maybe add new gauges on the dash (coolant temp, oil pressure, voltage at least) rebuild the transfer case (maybe just the shift fork?) I think theres some other items needing repair too... I know this is pretty basic stuff, I just don't have a shop space and a more competent helper to guide me through it. Not many truck buddies in San Francisco unfortunately.

What exactly do you need on your rig. My 1028 was my first diesel , and after 3 years it's dialed in very nice. They aren't that tough , once you learn the basic operating systems you can maintain ( with the TMs ) it yourself. PM me if I can help.:grd:

Last edited:

tim292stro

It doesn't hurt, the open C-channel at the forward hoop has that indentation for the steering box still even on the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, and that's a weak spot. With any kind of lift, bigger than stock tires, and a lack of cross-over steering (meaning the steering box is pushing on the wheel-end closest to the box), the forces become very large. I have seen hairline cracks even on the 1-ton models with 34" tires, all it takes is time and use.

Drunkle Scuzzy

Can an m1010 with no lift have crossover and or hy steer installed? I am a little unsure of whether or not there is room without a lift... thanks everyone for the invaluable information.

It doesn't hurt, the open C-channel at the forward hoop has that indentation for the steering box still even on the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, and that's a weak spot. With any kind of lift, bigger than stock tires, and a lack of cross-over steering (meaning the steering box is pushing on the wheel-end closest to the box), the forces become very large. I have seen hairline cracks even on the 1-ton models with 34" tires, all it takes is time and use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks