• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BBQ Convoy @DENTON Rally

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A big thank you to Pat for inviting us to the BBQ we enjoyed it and we appreciate you for having it.

Now thanks are not enough for a guy that goes above and beyond the call of Duty. Blake you as always did a great job when you could and should have called it off due to your injuries.
So I salute you.

driver200150

Thank you Blake and patt for the BBQ dinner. Blake went above and beyond to make it down to cook for all of us. You are awesome buddy. Look forward to next year.

Al Harvey

BBQ/Convoy was awesome! Special thanks to Blake for making sure it still happened and also to Wheelspinner for allowing everyone out to his place!!!

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEhQKqItRX0

34 MVs and one VW van! Plus bikeman and me bringing up the rear in his M880. One more Deuce caught up with the group at wheelspinner's place.
We will be starting the thread for the Denton Convoy soon. Last year 34+ trucks, a few communication errors (but we all ended up where we needed to be) that will be corrected was a BLAST. A few changes will be happening......as much as Blake loves this outing, due to some potential scheduling conflicts he will not be able to commit this year. But, seeings how its central NC there are some pretty good BBQ places here that can and will provide quality catering. This means there will be tickets and sign-ups necessary. The convoy will be somewhere between 25-30 miles, so a really good ride for sure. Location is still TBD based on some major construction areas going on. Mike and I will be scouting around some alternatives just in case. Looking forward to another GREAT event and turn out. Details soon !!!!!!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We will be starting the thread for the Denton Convoy soon. Last year 34+ trucks, a few communication errors (but we all ended up where we needed to be) that will be corrected was a BLAST. A few changes will be happening......as much as Blake loves this outing, due to some potential scheduling conflicts he will not be able to commit this year. But, seeings how its central NC there are some pretty good BBQ places here that can and will provide quality catering. This means there will be tickets and sign-ups necessary. The convoy will be somewhere between 25-30 miles, so a really good ride for sure. Location is still TBD based on some major construction areas going on. Mike and I will be scouting around some alternatives just in case. Looking forward to another GREAT event and turn out. Details soon !!!!!!
Yeah, we probably need to establish comms, and if I'm in the rear again, take down my canvas so vehicles behind can see the lights. Who's got signs? :p

Sorry to hear that Blake can't make it.

Al Harvey

I would suggest using CB radios for the convoy comms. Many have already mentioned they have CBs and they aren't super expensive if others wanted to get one. They will provide the best range and clarity for the length of the convoy. Though if you do want to run a CB, I highly suggest an external speaker. Cobra has a decent priced one that I use in all my vehicles and it's really clear and loud, also does not require outside power.

Now for the actual convoy. Anyone running a CB in their vehicle needs to be identified before hand. Those vehicles need to be as evenly spread through out the convoy as possible. That will ensure that if there is any interference, messages can be relayed from the front to the rear. Also if there is a break down, certain vehicles can stop to assist and the whole convoy does not have to halt. This in important for integrity and safety. Each designated vehicle with a CB should be announcing to everyone else when they have made a major turn. This will give the lead vehicle a good idea of where the convoy is and if they need to slow the convoy down so others can catch up. Also once the rear vehicle announces they are on the road, the speed can then be resumed.

Another suggestion would be to have one or two vehicles designated as recover vehicles. If they have a tow bar on hand, that would be a great benefit. I would suggest one larger vehicle (5ton) and one smaller (CUCV) so that any vehicle should be able to be towed. Those two vehicles need to be towards the rear of the convoy, but not the rear vehicle.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another suggestion would be to have one or two vehicles designated as recover vehicles. If they have a tow bar on hand, that would be a great benefit. I would suggest one larger vehicle (5ton) and one smaller (CUCV) so that any vehicle should be able to be towed. Those two vehicles need to be towards the rear of the convoy, but not the rear vehicle.
Agree 150%.

I know that we're all going to groan, but we should look at going back to the convoy procedures and prep briefs from when we were in. Break down/recovery plan, comms plan, checkpoints, etc... That way we don't end up having half the convoy stop when one person breaks down.

wilfreeman

I observed a bunch of drivers still in their vehicles that I personally asked to go to the meeting. By the time they showed up, the meeting was almost over. Briefings mean nothing if everybody doesn't know what's going on.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to get into a big dialogue on an old thread. I have asked Robert (Al Harvey) to take over as CC this year. We will have discussions on set up as we open the new thread. It will be MUCH better organized this year. But lets not get too much going here.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks