Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All these flat Behr paint jobs look great, but how does it touch up down the road? And then if and when you DO need another repaint in the future, can you sand it down and paint again or are you stuck bead blasting the truck back down to what was under the Behr to paint again? It’s a 100% acrylic which we use on commercial buildings with good success but would never have thought to put it on a truck. It handles weather obviously as a house paint but wonder how abrasion resistant it is, or how it appears after bugs, bird droppings, etc. Some guys are recommending an industrial polyurethane but wouldn’t think you’d ever get a proper color match on that down the road when you need to paint repairs or new accessories. Have also seen the American Coatings down here in Texas from eBay which look good, but not a fan of how Rapco looks. Just weighing all options before going back solid flat green on our M1123. If anyone in DFW has a Behr painted truck, would be curious to see in person. Thanks!
I've painted probably two dozen trucks and countless M1101/M1102 trailers with Behr Marquee Exterior Flat. My oldest truck is going on 5 years now and looks new still. Touchups are fine and seem to blend well unlike rattle can touch ups. I plan to paint a deuce this week if I get the time and I'm in Euless.

Gunfreak25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As someone who’s used behr flat for a few trucks over the years and loved it, how does the semi gloss cure? I feel like it would always be softer paint but I could be wrong. I would love to paint my 65 Kaiser soon in semi gloss Gillespie, but it fades very quickly in the desert. I think semi gloss behr would hold up longer to fading.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've painted probably two dozen trucks and countless M1101/M1102 trailers with Behr Marquee Exterior Flat. My oldest truck is going on 5 years now and looks new still. Touchups are fine and seem to blend well unlike rattle can touch ups. I plan to paint a deuce this week if I get the time and I'm in Euless.
#fuzzytoaster have you ever had to sand on any of your older Behr paint jobs? All the detractors talk about how much it would load up on discs and sand paper if and when you ever had to sand it. I've also heard reports of it cracking from the flex on fiberglass hoods on the HMMWV.

From what I hear the Gillespie/Rapco paint doesn't last terribly long and needs to be sanded and repainted every so many years too. I'm curious which one lasts longer. While I'd love to have someone like Steven Kavanaugh professionally paint my truck with real genuine Carc, I cant justify the trucking there and back from Texas, and can't find anyone around north Texas willing to do it.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
#fuzzytoaster have you ever had to sand on any of your older Behr paint jobs? All the detractors talk about how much it would load up on discs and sand paper if and when you ever had to sand it. I've also heard reports of it cracking from the flex on fiberglass hoods on the HMMWV.

From what I hear the Gillespie/Rapco paint doesn't last terribly long and needs to be sanded and repainted every so many years too. I'm curious which one lasts longer. While I'd love to have someone like Steven Kavanaugh professionally paint my truck with real genuine Carc, I cant justify the trucking there and back from Texas, and can't find anyone around north Texas willing to do it.
I've not had to sand Behr before but I'd imagine it would as it's a latex base. That being said, there is some flexibility to the paint as it's meant for housing panels that will expand and move with temp, wind, etc so it should hold up to HMMWV hoods. I painted my previous M1123 with 383 green and it seemed fine until it threw a rod. Maybe that's what killed my engine. :ROFLMAO:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks