• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The paint is somewhat self leveling, but it was too warm outside to allow it to do that

That is why you use Flo-trol (with the water based paint) and stay out of direct sun.

TW, I didn't remember the Behr having instructions that say one can thin with water. It is really thick so spraying would seem to be an issue if it is not thinned.
You're SUPPOSED to thin with water, and not thinner or chemicals, since it's water based..

[h=3]Application[/h]
  • Apply product on dry substrates when air and surface temperatures are between 35°-90°F (2°-32°C) and will remain between 35°-90°F (2°-32°C) for at least 4 hours after applying.
  • Do not paint when rain or heavy condensation is expected.
  • Stir paint occasionally. Intermix containers of same product to ensure color and sheen uniformity.
  • On semi-smooth surfaces, use a high quality 3/8-1/2” nap roller cover, nylon/polyester brush or an airless sprayer (.015-.021” spray tip, 60 mesh filter).
  • On rough surfaces, use a high quality 3/4-1” nap roller cover.
  • Do not thin if using a roller or brush; however, if using a sprayer and thinning is required, thin with water at a rate of no more than 1/2 pint per gallon.
  • Certain colors may require more than one coat for complete hide.
  • On heavy stains and woods that contain tannins, allow 12-16 hours of dry time between coats. Cooler temperatures or higher humidity may prolong drying time.
  • After 4 weeks, cured paint film may be cleaned with a mild, non-abrasive liquid detergent.
  • Dry paint film is mildew resistant.
  • When applying to vinyl, color choice must be the same color or lighter than the existing color. Do not use on floors.

http://www.behr.com/consumer/products/exterior-paint-and-primer/behr-premium-plus-ultra-flat

tobyS

Yes, I see they say a little water thinning with spraying. Myself, I have only brushed and used roller. I liked the shorter nap roller, 1/4", and 4" wide. Finer brushes do seem to give better finish but there are times I would like the paint slightly thinner, even after adding Flo-trol. Of course no mineral spirits or other thinners...that makes cottage cheese.

zout

You got it Toby...not chemical but water based. When you spray you have to remember your waiting for water to evaporate.not chemicals.
Nothing wrong with rolling or brushing either.

Like putting frosting on a cake.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It takes less water than you would think, so be careful when thinning to spray.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut with this stuff called floetrol. Works very well. Dries smooth even your gun gets low and spits out the paint before you realize ur getting low

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Twofive35, the Wagner power painter I use has a plastic gage, like a long thin pitch fork, with 1/2" gap between the forks. You dip it in the paint and if the paint can't bridge the gap then the paint is thin enough to spray, otherwise you drip another few drops of water into the paint, stir and dip again.

There has to be a consumer version of that gage you could buy.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I did mine all wrong I cut it almost 50/50 and in direct hot sun.
The truck and my old truck is holding up good.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just eye ball the amount of water. I've done a lot of spray painting in the past so I have a feel for the viscosity. Using a HF gun, I mix enough paint to fill the gun cup twice in a coffee can and probably use about 2 oz of water to thin. I also recommend stopping after about 1/2 gallon and clean the gun and remove and clean the filter that is under the cup. It eventually plugs up.

Another Ahab

I painted my M105 with Behr last week and am very happy how it turned out. I'm going to let it sit and will use it for a 4th of July parade and I'll see how it holds up.
Wow, that's a mighty clean looking paint job. [thumbzup]

I'm not believing that's just an accident. You must have prepped the H*** out of that trailer before spraying. Is that right!? Nice work.

two.fiveM35

Wow, that's a mighty clean looking paint job. [thumbzup]

I'm not believing that's just an accident. You must have prepped the H*** out of that trailer before spraying. Is that right!? Nice work.
Actually I did very little prepping. The trailer had CARC from 2005 and had no peeling or flaking of the paint. I power washed it, taped it off, primed it with Rustolium primer from a can and shot it with Behr flat #4300 base. I'll use in a forth of July parade and I'm interested how it will hold up to scuffs. Before this trailer I painted a portion of another trailer with BEHR MARQUEE Exterior Flat paint as a test, it came in a pint size sample portion. The Behr marquee is not as flat as the Premium Plus Ultra and I think withstands scuffs better. I'll report back after the 4th and tell you how the trailer held up.

tobyS

Is there a benifit to using water based over oil? Always though oil based held up better
There are many threads on this subject for you to read.

Have you ever got portland concrete on a tool and not washed it off, then when fully cured is nearly impossible to get off? That is what the Behr Ultra Premium reminds me of. I was entirely sold on oil base myself. I still use red oxide oil based primer to help neutralize the rust.

Also, I recommend Flotrol to help slow the drying and even it out.

I have seen recommendation of the Behr Marquee, but never tried it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks