• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
a parsec is a star wars unit of time. The Millenium Falcon completed the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

persec is personal security
Sorry but I must correct you, a parsec is a unit of distance. Star wars screwed up the definition and then went to great lengths to make an excuse.

As per the infinite intelligence of the hive mind GOOGLE:

Dictionary result for parsec
par·sec
/ˈpärsek/
noun
noun: parsec; plural noun: parsecs

• a unit of distance used in astronomy, equal to about 3.26 light years (3.086 × 10[SUP]13[/SUP] kilometers). One parsec corresponds to the distance at which the mean radius of the earth's orbit subtends an angle of one second of arc.

Last edited:

Privatewrench

I know this is an incomplete job.... Stripped the cab and painted the inside with Behr 24084. Outside of truck will happen when it warms up. Used a Wagner airless sprayer. I had to thin it, about 10 to 15% to keep the spatter down. The Behr paint is very thick stuff. Just got everything back together and it looks good. I covered the floor in Herculiner and painted right over it.
pic5.jpg

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your google definition is correct for earth. In a galaxy far far away it is a unit of time .😀

Waterhouse

Ok, I went to HD and asked for a sample of Bahr Marquee in two colors. I wanted to spray some out to make sure of the color. The two colors I asked for were 34094 (green) and 37030 (black). The woman in the paint section explained they offer paint in small jars (maybe a pint), quarts, gallons and 5 gallon buckets.

First problem, they don't offer either of those colors in the jars or quarts in the "Marquee" level. She had no explaination why. The computer just doesn't give her that choice. I really didn't feel like buying a gallon before I see the color. She suggested I get both colors in the "ultra" level. She told me the color will be exactly the same. Can anyone confirm this?

Second problem, they don't offer those colors in the ultra level in the small jars. So I had to buy two quarts just for a sample. Since I was there, I looked at and bought a Wagner HPLV sprayer. (I hope it's as good as the HF)

Third problem, when I got home I noticed that she put a small dab of the color paint on the top of the can. Of course, the black is black, but the green appears to be very dark. You guys that have spayed this, does it get lighter?

I guess I'm going to spray some anyways to see in the next week or so. I'll take some pics.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s odd. I wonder why they couldn’t mix it?

I guess you just have to spray it to see. If they mixed it right, It should look fine. Will be darker than what your sun faded truck is now.

Marquee is too thick to spray from a HVLP without thinning. I have used both. See no difference. CARC is so rough and such a good surface to adhere to that it hardly matters. Even bare metal, it sticks. I painted a 2 sq ft area on some 18 ya sheet metal, didn’t clean it or prep it (although it was pretty clean anyway) it sticks like crazy. Couldn’t scrape the edges up. It’s there to stay unless I grind it off with a cup brush. Just gently flap disk any chipped CARC away, clean and Paint away.

Then post pictures!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone tried one of the small compressor fed sprayers with this paint? I have had good luck with the Wagner but I have small area that I need to paint.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have. (Meaning an airless spray rig) They are incredible. No need in waiting for air pressure to build. There is no substitute for a Graco style pump sprayer. Plus, you get a more consistent pattern.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buffalobwana, I sure would like to have one of those....or the HVLP system. Nice tool.

Marquee sample size is not available. She's right, the color will be the same as the ultra....but you have moved beyond that now that you have quarts. Notice the black has a shot of blue. That is why the camo black color is different from flat black like rattle can....I think.

Most prefer the Marquee, I prefer the Ultra... but I'm still brushing and rolling mainly. Ultra seems less jelly-like to me. I use a bit of Flotrol to slow it down and it smooths out real nice.

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a harbor freight HVLP gun today The 15.99 purple one with ok results. I had the regulator set at 40psi. I think I should have thinned the paint a little more and/or drilled out the nozzle to 2mm. Not sure what percentage of thinning would be best.

What have others done while using this gun?

in the past my Wagner worked well but I was working in a smaller area so used the smaller purple HF gun

Waterhouse

Today I sprayed out some of the green and black. The green looked really dark in the can, but it looks nice on the piece of aluminum I sprayed. I'm very happy with the black too.

The only issue I ran into was when I sprayed the black on the green, it had a little splatter. I want a "faded" line between the two colors. I'm talking about a few dots of black that are maybe 2" from the black area. From ten feet, I doubt it would be noticed, but from two feet, I notice. Is this to be expected?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buffalobwana, I sure would like to have one of those....or the HVLP system. Nice tool.

Marquee sample size is not available. She's right, the color will be the same as the ultra....but you have moved beyond that now that you have quarts. Notice the black has a shot of blue. That is why the camo black color is different from flat black like rattle can....I think.

Most prefer the Marquee, I prefer the Ultra... but I'm still brushing and rolling mainly. Ultra seems less jelly-like to me. I use a bit of Flotrol to slow it down and it smooths out real nice.
I actually bought it because I’m remodeling a house and painting three shipping crates. It saves time. Time = money, so it was easy to justify.

Have yet yet to hit a truck or trailer with it, but I know it will be awesome!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I sprayed out some of the green and black. The green looked really dark in the can, but it looks nice on the piece of aluminum I sprayed. I'm very happy with the black too.

The only issue I ran into was when I sprayed the black on the green, it had a little splatter. I want a "faded" line between the two colors. I'm talking about a few dots of black that are maybe 2" from the black area. From ten feet, I doubt it would be noticed, but from two feet, I notice. Is this to be expected?
keep a damp/wet rag on you at all times. Clean that nozzle well. If it’s dry or hot when you spray, I have found there will be some dried paint or clums on the edge of the holes. That could be the cause of the drops.

Waterhouse

As I understand it, Marquee is the better paint. Is this right or is it just differnt? The quarts I got were just for checking the color. I plan to buy the Marquee. That comes to my next question. How much do I need? My truck is the size of a big pickup.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the quarts you got were the Marquee since sample size is not available, except in Ultra.

It's (Marquee) priced higher and people claim it's better....so it must be better...right?. I'm not spraying all at once with a nice machine either. To me, the Ultra seems more brush ready. I did get some nice brushes and have rollers for half length that are handy and disposable to make spot applying easier.

Don't forget to red primer the rust. It will come through if not "inhibited".

Last edited:

Waterhouse

There is a specific scheme for each vehicle, some are NATO standard.....

http://8tharmy.korea.army.mil/safety/Toolbox/resources/Publications/TB43-209.pdf
When I click on this link, it takes a few minutes to come up. (No big deal) But when I scroll down looking for a HEMTT, I get to about page 125 and it goes blank and kicks me completely off the Internet. When I reopen, the long download starts over. It comes up and I start scrolling again and I get the same result. Is this just me?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I click on this link, it takes a few minutes to come up. (No big deal) But when I scroll down looking for a HEMTT, I get to about page 125 and it goes blank and kicks me completely off the Internet. When I reopen, the long download starts over. It comes up and I start scrolling again and I get the same result. Is this just me?
It's a HUGE file....

If you don't let it download all the way, or your computer doesn't have enough memory, it can crash it. Save it to your HD first, then view it. Make sure it doesn't open in a browser and you should be fine.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painted my halfjeep project today with the Behr. Used a sample from testors model paint to get a perfect match for WWII 34087

sprayed it with a harbor freight purple hvlp gun set at 40 psi with a regulator on the gun itself. This gun works great with the latex but I do recommend drilling out the spray tip with a 5/64 drill bit to handle the thick paint. I did not thin the paint at all and used a little bit of flotrol.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks