• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Finished painting the doors and second coat on body. Starting to look a lot better.
Still waiting a couple weeks before I apply the vinyl markings
Smart move waiting to use vinyl on fresh paint...
Paint needs about a month to "off-gas" as it cures so you don't end up with bubbles under your vinyl.

Scuffy

Hey all! Spent the afternoon and most of this evening reading through this thread and drooling over all the great Behr projects! Had a question that doesn't have any bearing on my upcoming projects, it's more of a general curiosity... what is the "383" designation that I usually see paired with "CARC"? I know what CARC stands for but when I try my Google-fu and even when searching the boards here, I get hits on CARC but no real definition or meaning of the "383". Is that a code that designates it a CARC vs say a regular oil based or latex based in the Federal system?

nick1998

Hey all! Spent the afternoon and most of this evening reading through this thread and drooling over all the great Behr projects! Had a question that doesn't have any bearing on my upcoming projects, it's more of a general curiosity... what is the "383" designation that I usually see paired with "CARC"? I know what CARC stands for but when I try my Google-fu and even when searching the boards here, I get hits on CARC but no real definition or meaning of the "383". Is that a code that designates it a CARC vs say a regular oil based or latex based in the Federal system?
383 is just the military green color. 911 is black etc…

Scuffy

383 is just the military green color. 911 is black etc…
So 383 is the green designation and 34094 is also the code? That's where I'm confused. I noted the ways in which to decipher the 3xxxx code, but the 383 is not necessarily used in conjunction with that number. They are both the same product? I may just be overthinking all of this and overlooked something.

UPDATE: After keeping my nose to the grindstone I did find a link that gave a bit more of an explanation. I was overthinking things a bit too much.

Last edited:

Scuffy

View attachment 660239View attachment 660240View attachment 660241

Behr special! Still have to finish some odds and ends but coming along nicely.
I color matched from a fresh looking bridge weight plate.
Since I'm stuck on trying to find the perfect color... my eye is definitely drawn to this shade of green. It's been a while since this gent has posted and I don't know if he is even active on the forums any more. This color was matched from a bridge weight plate instead of using a standard code. I don't suppose anyone knows him or would be able to inquire as to what the code was? I can't tell if this is 34094 or not. Thanks to the wonders of technology *insert sarcasm*, the difference in camera quality, light/time of day, and even the laptop I'm viewing these pix on... there is a wide variance of perceived shade. Kinda looks like it might have just a bit more brown or yellow to it. I really like it!!!!

87cr250r

383 is an obsolete designation. Federal Spec 595C describes colors for many things including military vehicles. The green used for 1980's + military vehicles is FS 34094. My local paint store can mix the color directly from the 39094 number if you tell them to search under "US Government" as the brand.

01GRANDER

Behr scratches too easily. I can take my nail to carc and I can’t scratch it that easily, the marquee paint scratches with light pressure. I may try Rapco.

3rdmdqm

For those using Behr paint, has anyone painted their exhaust stack with it? I'm curious as to how the latex paint reacts to extreme heat, i.e. does it hold up, turn gooey, melt off? I'm ready to paint my stack but wondering what will happen. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks