• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr paint test.

SteveKuhn

I just got some Navy grey mixed at HD this week. Just took the Gillespie number off the Rapco site. The guy didn't think he could do it but he learned something.

Steve

lincolntwilliams

So this is the result two years later. I'm definitely not easy on the paint and it has held up extremely well. Pictured is a scratch from driving through some really thick logging road over growth... from the density of the vegetation i feel it is completely acceptable. My canopy rubbed some paint of the bed rails that i patched up with just a brush a year after the initial paint job and you can't even tell.

My recommendation is if you are spraying it I would not spay a high viscosity final coat to get the "CARC" look because its hard to clean.

Folks who are concerned about shooting their truck with house paint, make the plunge you'll be glad you did....

IMG_2582.jpgIMG_2583.JPG

22b

We painted 4 M113 vehicles with Behr three years ago. They sit outside and still look like we painted them last week. We will be using Behr on everything.

zout

You can paint my house for me now. I use Marquee on that also.

The above pics of mine are old ones but she looks just the same today and the Yellow in Marquee on the nose is as bright and clean today sitting here as it was the Dai painted it.

Some nice looking trucks above guys.

Sparo2

I'm thinking of pain in my HMMWV with Behr paint which has primer in it. Do you guys recommend me prep in the circus with primer? If so what primer should I use? I'll be using a HVLP gun from Harbor Freight.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking of pain in my HMMWV with Behr paint which has primer in it. Do you guys recommend me prep in the circus with primer? If so what primer should I use? I'll be using a HVLP gun from Harbor Freight.
Pressure wash it and then paint. I used the same gun to spray my M929. You may need to thin the paint it a little with water. It doesn't take much, so be careful not to add too much.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What ratio of paint to water where you using. 1 part water to 3 parts paint? Or did you just eye ball it?
I eyeballed it. If you thin it a cup (the paint cup on the gun) at the time, it's probably not an once. You will be able to tell when it is spraying correctly. You will also need to clean the filter under the paint cup periodically because it will clog.

Sparo2

I bought a sample of the color that I'm gonna use and test sprayed a few spots. I think a 1 to 3 ratio works perfectly. I even think you can go a little thicker because it came out with no hesitation. The gun I used was a HF with a 1.4 tip.

Last edited:

Sparo2

Does anyone have any experience painting over the dupli-color bed armor using house paint? I was considering applying this coding throughout the outside of the truck but I want to make sure that the paint will stick And last.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sprayer will give the best results but I have seen some great brush jobs. If you must use a roller I would still thin out the paint with 10% distilled water and have a good Purdy brush at the ready for smoothing things out. Keep up posted. I touch-up mine with a throw away 1" "chip" brush.

Mark

20220522_123909.jpg

91burb

The sprayer will give the best results but I have seen some great brush jobs. If you must use a roller I would still thin out the paint with 10% distilled water and have a good Purdy brush at the ready for smoothing things out. Keep up posted. I touch-up mine with a throw away 1" "chip" brush.

Mark

View attachment 892514
Still on the fence on what paint to use not sure which one is better from what I’ve read it seems like they’re about the same quality bear vs the traditional carc paint

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks