• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bertha is apparently jealous of the attention I'm giving the M37.(Torque bar separation)

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doing a last minute inspection of Bertha before I head offshore and found this today:

20220424_135030.jpg

I found the appropriate section of the TM (many thanks to @m715mike for the direction to head):

20220424_222556.jpg

20220424_222635.jpg

The question I have for the 5 ton gurus:

Do I need to take off the tires? How difficult is it to press in the bushings? It also looks like the axle doesn't line up with the torque rod now, how do I correct that?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Doing a last minute inspection of Bertha before I head offshore and found this today:

View attachment 865699

I found the appropriate section of the TM (many thanks to @m715mike for the direction to head):

View attachment 865700

View attachment 865702

The question I have for the 5 ton gurus:

Do I need to take off the tires? How difficult is it to press in the bushings? It also looks like the axle doesn't line up with the torque rod now, how do I correct that?
We used Coffing Chain Hoists (brand name) to move the axle in to place. There may be other ideas, but leaving the wheels on the axle will simplify alignment. Leaving the wheels on will also keep you from accidentally "preloading" the torque rod.

Long years ago, we had a 60 ton press that pushed out the old like a knife through butter. Maybe half that will push the old out and put the new in place.

The bottom right picture shows you the tapered fit. A no BS large hammer applied generously to Part #15 on that same sheet will free the torque rod.

Last edited:

charlesmann

Line up how, up/down or fore/aft? If fore/aft, a come a long to pull the rear axle or porta power to push from the intermediate axle. If you need to pull the axle forward, a come a long from the front axle or other solid object (tree) in front of the tck. Iv porta powered or used another tck with the brakes set, when i first started mechanicing on big truck in civi world.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next question: where can I get the bushing I need? I looked at the crossover parts list under suspension and it isn't listed?

Thanks in advance.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd try Memphis first. Be aware there are some Chinese imports of these that aren't rightly machined.

The unfortunate thing is if one is shot, all the rest aren't far behind. All 12 of 'em.

Changing them is probably one of the most energy-sucking jobs on any 5-ton. And that big-assed box wrench to handle the nuts isn't cheap.

The good thing is that rubber joint hasn't changed since the first G-744 trucks in the 50's. They are all the same.

DG

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't answer that for sure until I get home and test all of the others. Odds are this is an age related issue, it could be the larger tires. Without doing a study based on completely new bushings etc, I can't quantify and answer.
Fair enough. I have a feeling that my 16.00s may stress my bushings a bit more in the turns and cause them to reconsider their contentment...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd suggest getting the South Korean safety bar bushings. They prevent the torque rod from slipping off if the bushing fails. To get the axle back in line, a good ratchet strap might do the trick.

View attachment 865793
Well... At least South Korea has some of our trucks there.

Not exactly OEM, but they might be good quality. New rubber will be the key to happiness and the safety bar was a major topic of discussion in these forums. A definite plus if the rubber turns loose later.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Not exactly OEM, but they might be good quality. New rubber will be the key to happiness and the safety bar was a major topic of discussion in these forums. A definite plus if the rubber turns loose later.

They manufacture a version of the 5ton under license. They made a few improvements, but most of the truck is the same.

Guyfang

Staff member

The South Korean's produce the trucks. They have a contract to produce the A3's,

Guyfang

Staff member
There was an article in The Army Times(?) several years ago, about the Kia KM500. It was very positive about the truck, and production as a whole.

Reactions: HDN

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine drilled and taped a hole in the center of rod that surrounds the rubber. He cut some "washers" out of 1/4" plate that covered the end of the bushing and bolted it on. If the rubber fails, the washer holds it all together. I've been thinking about doing mine this way.
Edit: I may have the wrong part. His mod was on the ends of the "Dog Bone". Is this the Dog Bone?

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a piece of steel bar welded to the central metal insert , laying across the openings in the ends. Does the same thing just not as neat.

I like that one version with the Heim inserts, oughta last forever.

DG

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you buy the safety bar bushings for a 5 ton, you'll find the price is about 6 or 7 dollars more than the regular bushings. You can find some more here.
With a similar price, I just save myself a lot of work and swapped out all 12 bushings.

HPIM2692.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks