• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best gen set for home backup.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a very large house and I'm running an MEP003A, one of the later ones built in 1992. It is 10 KW and is adequate for running the whole house, including HVAC. I have a manual transfer switch and I don't have any circuits selected for the genset. I love the MEP003A. It is air cooled and simple and easy to work on. I have been using it for over a decade with basically zero maintenance issues. It uses about 1 gallon of diesel per hour under full load. Since it is air cooled. I don't have to worry about coolant, water pumps, radiator, etc. It always starts easily. It is quite loud, but that noise sounds nice when the utility power is out, and it is cold or hot outside! We lose utility power quite often, and sometimes for extended periods. I also use 3Ph occasionally for some tools. Since it is trailer mounted, I can also use it remotely on my property. They are also less expensive than newer units.

DD58

I have a very large house and I'm running an MEP003A, one of the later ones built in 1992. It is 10 KW and is adequate for running the whole house, including HVAC. I have a manual transfer switch and I don't have any circuits selected for the genset. I love the MEP003A. It is air cooled and simple and easy to work on. I have been using it for over a decade with basically zero maintenance issues. It uses about 1 gallon of diesel per hour under full load. Since it is air cooled. I don't have to worry about coolant, water pumps, radiator, etc. It always starts easily. It is quite loud, but that noise sounds nice when the utility power is out, and it is cold or hot outside! We lose utility power quite often, and sometimes for extended periods. I also use 3Ph occasionally for some tools. Since it is trailer mounted, I can also use it remotely on my property. They are also less expensive than newer units.
Wow they made a 10kw air cooled diesel gen set. That’s really cool that’s kinda the reason I liked the 831 low maintenance. If the inverter wasn’t such a finicky thing it would be a solid unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87cr250r

I wouldn't say the smaller sets inherently use less fuel. I recently downgraded the generator sets in my fleet from 8.1 liter John Deere engines to 4.5 liter JD units. The capital cost was the primary driver behind the decision. Our sets spend most of their lives running at 10kW so the 150+kW rating was a bit overkill.

However, it was interesting to see that the 8.1 family of engines had a significantly lower brake specific fuel consumption at every load point over 25% vs. the smaller 4.5L engine. The manufacturer did not provide any information for either engine family below 25% which is where ours would spend most of their time operating. We do know that the 8.1 engines consume a gallon of lube oil every 24 hours due to the light loading and the 4.5 does not require an oil addition within the 500 hour change interval. We save a bunch of money there. It's ok to run your dip stick to low, you're throwing away good oil if you top up between changes (this makes a big cost difference on our big engines).

Bigger, more expensive engines often get the better hardware which may contribute to lower consumption.

Last edited:

DD58

Your load drives the train. Smaller the set, less fuel you use.

Fuel area is something to think about. Spill a little, and you will be smelling it a LONG time. Putting a drip pan under the set will save you problems later, should something floods out of the set. Fuel, oil or coolant.

The clearance diagram is the minimum, like I posted. I would not like to do any maintenance on a set in a room that small.

Also, don't forget, you may need to take it out at some point. I would put the set on a pedestal. Working on it is a PITA, when you are crawling around on hands and knees. But then you need a way to take it off the pedestal if you need to remove the set at some time. Better to set down and think about what you want, how you want, and how you can do it.
I know that smell Al lot well ever time I change the filter on my oil tank and furnace. Takes weeks to leave the basement even with pig wipe and a stainless bucket…

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my opinion but if you would start watching the auctions on line for the portable light towers and shop around for the lowest hrs on you can find with KUBOTA diesel engine in it like a 905 /1005/1105/1205 most come with a 6k marathon pancake tail on them that you can usally buy for a song and even if the tail is shot pull the motor and radiator out buy a new 8.2 k tail for 1384 bucks i bought my tail from a Central georgia generator look them up and the tails under single bearing and if you want to run more kws find a 2203 kubota 4 cyl diesel and run up to a 25 k tail for a little over 2 grand for the tail but you can build a bullet proof genset for what ever you want it in or on for less than 3 grand that will outlive 98 % of the commercial generators made today hands down !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey everyone. I’m looking to add on to my garage an extra storage room and while planning the foundation I figured I’d add a gen set to it. Now the garage is 3/4 into my hill of my property so the entire. Side wall on all 3 sides in concrete. It’s a separate addition to the garage so no worries about causing any I’ll effects on the garage or the house.

What’s the most reliable mil gen set to install to cover 15kw. I don’t have giving alittle over the 15kw my whole home should be around 12kw at full tilt in the summer. I’m currently using the well lest reliable mep831 to just cover the basics fridge and oil boiler. The foundation and walls will go in in the late spring and I want to install the genset before the roof goes on. Thanks for the help.

I would pour a small concrete pad outside beside your house or remote it out in the yard and run some 6/4 in pipe out to it and build a box for it to keep it out of the weather so you sure wont feel it and if the box is built rite you wont even hear it and bring the 6/4 into your panel on a 50 amp double pole breaker that you have control over the panel and lable it to show others and when you need it flip the main 100 or 200 breaker off coming in from the street and flip the double pole breaker on and your in lights !

Chainbreaker

Also, don't forget, you may need to take it out at some point. I would put the set on a pedestal. Working on it is a PITA, when you are crawling around on hands and knees. But then you need a way to take it off the pedestal if you need to remove the set at some time. Better to set down and think about what you want, how you want, and how you can do it.
Along with Guys's ease of work platform suggestion... It's worth considering buying a military generator on its military trailer aka a PU (Power Unit). No crawling and everything is already at a nice operational & servicing work height. I have 4 on trailers & it's really handy to be able to hookup & drive to a Gas Station & fill up my aux tanks & day tank or transport to help out a neighbor. Also, if I need remote power on the compound or off, they are ready to roll.

Of course, the trailer footprint plus adequate walk around clearances would require more space but that is potentially an extra covered car parking space if you should ever need it or added value if you were to sell the property in the future.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just my opinion but if you would start watching the auctions on line for the portable light towers and shop around for the lowest hrs on you can find with KUBOTA diesel engine in it like a 905 /1005/1105/1205 most come with a 6k marathon pancake tail on them that you can usally buy for a song and even if the tail is shot pull the motor and radiator out buy a new 8.2 k tail for 1384 bucks i bought my tail from a Central georgia generator look them up and the tails under single bearing and if you want to run more kws find a 2203 kubota 4 cyl diesel and run up to a 25 k tail for a little over 2 grand for the tail but you can build a bullet proof genset for what ever you want it in or on for less than 3 grand that will outlive 98 % of the commercial generators made today hands down !
All I have is 2nd Hand information, but it may be worth researching...

I've heard that the light tower gensets don't generate power as "cleanly" and other dedicated sets. Not a big deal if computers aren't involved. May not matter but investigating that possibility AND deciding exactly what you want your generator to do for you could save you money in the end.

87cr250r

Small generator sets typically have speed droop type governors. This means your power frequency may vary from 60-63 Hz. This is going to piss off your UPS power supplies unless you have industrial units.

Generators with isochronous governors can maintain 60hz but are rare on small gen sets.

Computers don't care much about the power quality as they rectify it to DC anyways.

Also, you'll do well to make sure your generator kw is double your largest single load kw.

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clean power is almost essential as just about everything in the house has a "computer" involved... microwave, some ranges, TV sets, some refrigerators, Alexa... Brand names are typically designed to handle a wide range of power situations for the global markets for which they are sold. The question becomes: "How sensitive are one's devices to power anomalies and what's the impact to you if they malfunction during a backup power event?" I am hearing impaired (Army) and can easily live without TV. My Seabee? Not so much!

Last edited:

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Along with Guys's ease of work platform suggestion... It's worth considering buying a military generator on its military trailer aka a PU (Power Unit). No crawling and everything is already at a nice operational & servicing work height. I have 4 on trailers & it's really handy to be able to hookup & drive to a Gas Station & fill up my aux tanks & day tank or transport to help out a neighbor. Also, if I need remote power on the compound or off, they are ready to roll.

Of course, the trailer footprint plus adequate walk around clearances would require more space but that is potentially an extra covered car parking space if you should ever need it or added value if you were to sell the property in the future.
@Chainbreaker - I've been wondering about this along with considering a slab & platform. We go back and forth on this every time the wind blows. The convenience of mobility vs the permanence of a slab & platform. It always boils down to one question for us for which we don't have any information. How well do the tires and suspension hold up if the generator sits for very long periods of time? Don't laugh at me, y'all! This question really does hang us up. Think family feud... who's right, me or the Seabee? :unsure:

Chainbreaker

@Evvy If newer tires (no signs of checking) & under cover out of direct sun UV light they last for several years. I've had all my trailers sitting outside in the elements for a few years now they were already X yrs old when I bought these Power Units & they are holding up OK. I wouldn't trust them on a long road trip but travelling to close-by destinations... gas station, neighborhood & on the property hasn't presented any tire problems.

As with any tires they will eventually age & will need to be replaced regardless of looks. I think the rule of thumb around here is most tire places won't remount a tire if its beyond its service life of 8 - 10 yrs. depending on the tire store. Though depending on your local climate, UV + Heat & excessive weight & mileage are the tire killers. However, if you put parking tire covers on them when left parked on premises, & they are exercised now & then & not left to flat spot they can last for a fairly long time.

Also, the mobility factor is good to have in case of an approaching disaster event... wildfire, hurricane, etc. We are prone to fast moving wildfires living out West during summer drought season. My plan if fire is imminent is to hookup to genset trailers & move those & other ranch equipment into our large sandy horse arena where they won't be exposed to any nearby flames.

Same could be said for those in path of hurricanes with enough notice to bug out in time & get to higher ground or out of projected path. However, having a placed genset on its own foundation with generator shed over it has its own advantages... sound deadening, spare parts & servicing materials on shelfs/toolbox has its appeal as well.

Guess it all depends on one's circumstances & intended usage factors.

Last edited:

DD58

It’s not a bad idea on a trailer. Hummm I’m going to take a look at gov planet and eBay. How well do the m116 trailers hook up to an suv? That would be cool the more I think about it.

On the power side I’ve had concerns about “clean” power. That the whole reason I didn’t get a generac was because of the tv my server and range. i need a good clean 60hz the mep831 on an oscilloscope looks pretty good. And I took it under assumption that the larger units would produce the same kinda power. I know there not inverter units but should produce some clean power.

This form is great so many great ideas. So now I need a drive in bunker just for my gen set hahahahaha

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I have is 2nd Hand information, but it may be worth researching...

I've heard that the light tower gensets don't generate power as "cleanly" and other dedicated sets. Not a big deal if computers aren't involved. May not matter but investigating that possibility AND deciding exactly what you want your generator to do for you could save you money in the end.
When i built mine i pulled the engine and put the new tail on it so not sure about the marathon 6 k tails . But as far as using a good tail on a kubota you know my background and for my industry to have used this set up for 40 plus years solely 7 days a week 12 months a year with as many as 12 techs at any given moment all on their laptops going down the road having zero problems. And up to .17 tvs and 5 roof airs fridge microwave lights for min 10,000 hrs with only weekly oil changes /every 200 hrs with reg maint. i put them up against any military genset in the same 20 to 25 k class any day ! And i base that on first hand seeing it every day for 30 plus yrs and to only have to use it as a back up on a house its a lifetime one purchase event !

DD58

When i built mine i pulled the engine and put the new tail on it so not sure about the marathon 6 k tails . But as far as using a good tail on a kubota you know my background and for my industry to have used this set up for 40 plus years solely 7 days a week 12 months a year with as many as 12 techs at any given moment all on their laptops going down the road having zero problems. And up to .17 tvs and 5 roof airs fridge microwave lights for min 10,000 hrs with only weekly oil changes /every 200 hrs with reg maint. i put them up against any military genset in the same 20 to 25 k class any day ! And i base that on first hand seeing it every day for 30 plus yrs and to only have to use it as a back up on a house its a lifetime one purchase event !
Very interesting it’s interesting that you got 10k hours. That beyond any thing I’ll ever need and I’m sure a lot cheaper to maintain then the mil sets. That would be a fun winter project to build my own gen set.

Ok ok so build one 5-7k and buy a mep803 just because. You know my wife’s going to kill me hahahaa oh and I need to pick up a trailer.

So my 2nd car garage turned into a 4 car really quick now thanks guys!!!