• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best M35 year and model ?

Mechinedream

I’ve been thinking of getting a M35 series truck. I drove Vietnam era M35A2 ( I think) deuces for part of 6 years in the 70’s and 80’s.
this has probably been asked before, but what would be the best year/ model , in your opinion , to start with? M35 M35A1 M35A2 M35A3etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reactions: HDN

davidb56

Well I beat the living crap out of mine and it still keeps going. In fact, I broke a 1/2 cable today pulling a 30" x 60' Grand fir today. 1987 m35a2 AF model.

HDN

I'd go with a late 80s M35A2 or an M35A3 for the redundant brake system. Then it comes down to preferring a multifuel diesel with a 5-speed manual transmission, or a straight-diesel Cat with a 4-speed automatic.

Between the two of those, I wonder which is more scarce :unsure:

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll toss in another vote for the A2. Mine is a 72 model with an 87 rebuild on my engine. I prefer the multi fuel and the 5 speed trans. And yes, a late model with the dual circuit brakes would be a big plus.

Mechinedream

Well I beat the living crap out of mine and it still keeps going. In fact, I broke a 1/2 cable today pulling a 30" x 60' Grand fir today. 1987 m35a2 AF model.
I’m liking what I’m hearing about A2’s
Hope I can still clutch one 😝
Seems like A2 Air Force model gives redundant brakes also, from what I’ve read on this site

Mechinedream

I'd go with a late 80s M35A2 or an M35A3 for the redundant brake system. Then it comes down to preferring a multifuel diesel with a 5-speed manual transmission, or a straight-diesel Cat with a 4-speed automatic.

Between the two of those, I wonder which is more scarce :unsure:
Cool, guess late A2 or A3, with A 2 getting the most votes from the folks who’ve responded.
I should drive both and see, I’m guessing

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had many of the M44A2 series and M44A3 series trucks. In my mind, without a doubt, the M35A3 is the superior ride with regards to safety, performance, and comfort. I particularly like: dual circuit brake system, the back up lights, seat belts, better/more comfortable seats, upgraded windshield wiper motor, heater in the cab (more efficient/better heat), Cat 3116 has way more power than the multi-fuel (although not as cool sounding), the truck was rebuilt/built in the 90s. One drawback that took me some getting used to is the looks. The hood, slanting backwards as it does, and often riveted together (unless you are lucky to find the fiberglass hood), is not very good looking. Some of the parts for the M35A3 are tough to find and expensive if you can find them. The tires are non-existent if you want recent, fresh rubber. I like to keep my trucks stock so that is important to me, but may be less important to others. Another drawback to the M35A3 is the top speed. It is even slower than an M35A2. They will do 50-52 MPH if you push them, but they drive more comfortably around 47 MPH.

With all that said, I would suggest you find one of the later 80s USAF M35A2s with the dual circuit brake system, which is more safe than the earlier brake system (and is the same that is in the M35A3). The M44 series has a classic mil-veh look that, IMO, is one of the sweetest looking trucks available. Parts are all over the place, and usually reasonably priced. And, that multifuel sound is nice.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
just get an Air Force multifuel Deuce. Pay the man.
Keep it forever. Drive anywhere with faith in brake system.
Maintain Her. Never buy fuel.
Give Her to your Grandchildren.
Well, You asked........

OR, see this Man, see the Man.
Put duel brakes on whatever You get.

Mechinedream

I have had many of the M44A2 series and M44A3 series trucks. In my mind, without a doubt, the M35A3 is the superior ride with regards to safety, performance, and comfort. I particularly like: dual circuit brake system, the back up lights, seat belts, better/more comfortable seats, upgraded windshield wiper motor, heater in the cab (more efficient/better heat), Cat 3116 has way more power than the multi-fuel (although not as cool sounding), the truck was rebuilt/built in the 90s. One drawback that took me some getting used to is the looks. The hood, slanting backwards as it does, and often riveted together (unless you are lucky to find the fiberglass hood), is not very good looking. Some of the parts for the M35A3 are tough to find and expensive if you can find them. The tires are non-existent if you want recent, fresh rubber. I like to keep my trucks stock so that is important to me, but may be less important to others. Another drawback to the M35A3 is the top speed. It is even slower than an M35A2. They will do 50-52 MPH if you push them, but they drive more comfortably around 47 MPH.

With all that said, I would suggest you find one of the later 80s USAF M35A2s with the dual circuit brake system, which is more safe than the earlier brake system (and is the same that is in the M35A3). The M44 series has a classic mil-veh look that, IMO, is one of the sweetest looking trucks available. Parts are all over the place, and usually reasonably priced. And, that multifuel sound is nice.
Thanks BKubu, appreciate all you said

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks