• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best place to buy replacement glow plugs

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did a search for "resistor bypass picture".

Try that, for all the info you'll need.

alburms311

Ive had good luck with AC60Gs as well. Like the above posts state, replace the terminals and bypass the resistor. Best price I have found has been at Advanced Auto. To lower the price, use a coupon found online(just search for AA coupon) and order them on the website, pick them up at the store an hour later or so. No, I dont work at AA, just telling you whats has worked for me.

sandcobra164

Seems that alot of people use the AC60G's!!! Me too and no issues since I put them in. I went through a set of Wellman's in one winter and I had done the 12V "remove the resistor" mod before I put the Wellman's in. Won't go back to them as it was a pain to get them out as 5 of the 8 had swollen tips. I'm on about 3 years on my AC's and still starting smooth on these "chilly" 20 positive Fahrenheit days we get in the Winter here in GA. I think the coldest it has been in recent years was 17 or so to the positive side. Even on those "warm" mornings in comparison to the Northern folks, My truck equipped with Wellman's was a bear to start and when it did finally start up, it would only be hitting on half the cylinders until you revved it up a little and got the other cylinders hot enough to start firing.

MarcusOReallyus

Civi trucks run off of 12v. 24v for GP's just allows for extra cold starts.
This is not correct. The military trucks run 12v to the GPs. There is 24v to the resistor, and when the GPs are turned on, that resistor drops it to 12v. The GPs are fed 12 volts in normal operation. They are 12v GPs.

If a GP fails, the resistance of the circuit changes, and the remaining GPs will see more than 12v. Since they are 12v GPs, the excess voltage will shorten their lives. When the next one fails, the voltage to the remaining GPs increases again, shortening their life even more. Then the next, then the next, and so on.

Each GP failure makes life harder for the rest, speeding up the time to the next failure. Each subsequent failure happens sooner, and sooner. This is why it's called a cascade failure.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were getting way off topic.

The OP clearly asked for new information/options.

Looks like there is none.

Sephirothq

it looks like the general vote is the AC60G replacing the terminals with the larger spade and buy them from either napa or advanced auto. And while making those changes bypass the 24 volt side and use 12 only.
Those are the recommendations that I was looking for. answer received.

rsh4364

I like the autolite 1112 fast start plugs,pulled them out and replaced with 60gs,because I was worried about plug swelling,they were fine and putting them back in .just my opinion and experience.

Last edited: