• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Better way to do a fuel filter change on a cummins 250

Rifleman

Something i found out today while changing my fuel filter. Now you have got to remember i am new to these trucks so some of you guys may already know this trick. When changing your fuel filter the maintenance manual says to empty, then clean the filter housing, next install your new filter into the housing, then install the housing back onto the truck and torque the top bolt to 25 foot pounds. Note, Nowhere in the manual does it say to fill the filter housing with fuel before installing it. Doing it the way the manual says to do it is all well and good if you want to pump that prime handle about 200 times. I found it alot easier to fill the housing about 3/4 full of fuel, drop in the filter element then install the housing back onto the truck. Doing it this way will save you pumping your arm off trying to fill that empty filter housing. Just a side note, that empty filter housing holds about 3/4 of a gal. of fuel, so you can see it would take alot of pumping to fill it using that little primer pump.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ever thought there's a reason they don't want you to fill the canister with unfiltered fuel?

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a plug in the tank filler neck with a port for compressed air. A .223 cartridge in the vent tube, 5 psi of air and a few seconds later I had fuel coming out of the hand primer petcock. No hand priming required!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
i installed a plug in the tank filler neck with a port for compressed air. A .223 cartridge in the vent tube, 5 psi of air and a few seconds later i had fuel coming out of the hand primer petcock. No hand priming required!
This.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No regulator needed. Start with zero air in the tank. I run my air compressor until I have 5 psi showing on the gauge and shut it off. It doesn't take much air to prime the system with fuel.