• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BFR's Floozy

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I haven’t made as much progress with the truck as I would like but I did find a m796 bolster trailer at a price I couldn’t pass up. I have a lot of work left to do before I feel comfortable towing with the floozy on the street. Fortunately for me steelsoldiers member glcaines snagged it for me and pulled it over the mountain to my place.
I pressure washed it &flipped the lunette into the high position (the cotter key in the castle nut was the most difficult one I have ever dealt with) and then hooked it up to the SEE to park it off the street. I only moved it at walking speed, but it seems like it will work well for what I want. It appears to have started out semigloss green, then to have gone through a MERDC phase, and finally solid green.07964D4E-BCC1-405F-8F9B-9EDC105876DC.jpegA3480CFF-50E2-46F1-BB19-AAC1FAD1CC3D.jpeg

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
My truck was missing the front loader remote switch when I got it. I found one on eBay that matches the nsn but is black instead of white. I installed it & now I can raise/lower the front end loader from the backhoe operator’s position as intended.7D423FDF-20CD-47C9-8448-64AA494DBD23.jpegFDC86342-2738-4FF5-8F24-ACC07018EE2A.jpeg

peakbagger

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you have a set, how new are those tires according to the date code?

I called a seller of "new" Michelins and found out that they were eight to 11 years old. In his mind, new and never used were completely interchangeable words. Sure glad I called and asked instead of falling for the very misleading advertising.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I have now ordered some tires. Does anyone have a lead/ recommendation for the valve stems? I have get the distinct impression that the ones installed now are original. When I search for the part number for the valve stems (MS51368-7 from the parts manual ) Al I get is the never ending generic NSN "parts sites" .

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All you really could need is new rubber grommets. Either way, there really is nothing special about the valve stems, so try NAPA or any other parts store.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have now ordered some tires. Does anyone have a lead/ recommendation for the valve stems? I have get the distinct impression that the ones installed now are original. When I search for the part number for the valve stems (MS51368-7 from the parts manual ) Al I get is the never ending generic NSN "parts sites" .
What tires did you order? I need to replace my tires as well. Your tires actually looked much better than the tires on my FLU. I think if I blew a tire driving at speed on the highway there is a good chance of rolling the FLU. I've been thinking about Continental MPT80 12.5R20 / 335/80R20 but man those are expensive! I checked out the Pirelli tires mentioned, but the date codes are 2011 and 2012, already 9 - 10 years old. They say they are stored in good conditions, but who knows how they were stored by the military prior to going to surplus. They did, however, appear to be very nice tires.

Last edited:

Speedwoble

Mine have all been very corroded, so I understand replacing them. I found some surplus Haltec TR618A’s on an auction site for cheap.

peakbagger

Sorry for missing the question on Valve stems. The stems are stock mercedes, I bought a bag of them off Ebay a year or to ago. When I swapped my stems previously I just went to the car parts store and found the closest fit. They worked but not very high quality The Mercedes Part Number is 007791 032000

This link to Mercedes Dealer lists them for $9.32 each Valve 007781-032000 | MB of Covington

IMHO, they are far better quality than the car part store version as the sealing rubber is tapered and setup for thicker rims. The come with the cap for taking the air out of the tires for poor traction conditions. They are all brass except for the sealing washer. he sealing washer is thicker than the car parts store version I did note that the SEE stems have a thicker nut on them then the ones I bought. Its the same thread so the old nut could be transferred to the new stem if someone is going concours ;)

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I guess it's now my turn to tackle FLU419 electrical issues.
The following have all quit working.
-Low air warning light
-Oil Pressure gauge
-Water Temp gauge
-Tachometer

Is there a common ground for the instruments? I have pulled the air intake tubing and pulled the fuse panels forward and cannot find any damage to the wiring behind the dash.

The. for what its worth, the following all do work.
-Turn signals
-Turn signal indicator light
-Alternator warning light
-high and low beam headlights
-High beam indicator light
-windshield wipers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks